what do you do to psych yourself up?- Mtbr.com
    rolls on 26's
    Jun 2006

what do you do to psych yourself up?

hey guys just wondering if anyone has some tips for trying to psych yourself up to doing something. I'll see something I want to do, but then i'm just like err, well maybe later. Yes I know, very wussy of me, but hey I've only been riding for a year.

Pro Crastinator
    i punch myself in the balls....

clyde in training
    I punch a grizzly bear in the balls

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Sex, then drugs, then rock and roll. Or as you get older, you might have to reverse the order of sex and drugs.
    I rock out like Bon Jovi in some 80's jeans

dh-er
    Nov 2006
    go with a buncha buddys, they's heckle you to no end (WEAKKKK! PUSSSYY! JUST HIT IT!) until you do whatever the feat

ride your bike
    Quote Originally Posted by aj_gilbs
    hey guys just wondering if anyone has some tips for trying to psych yourself up to doing something. I'll see something I want to do, but then i'm just like err, well maybe later. Yes I know, very wussy of me, but hey I've only been riding for a year.
    Watch bike vids and call myself a pansy for what I rode around last time.
    Taking it easy for all you sinners.

mtbr member
    Listen to some Mudvayne!

( o Y o ) 's!!
    I watch RAD

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    I consider how much better it feels to eat shite than to leave knowing I backed down. The way I see it is, once you've left the lip, the hard part (the mental part) is over and it only gets easier - even if you do crash on the first attempt.

I've had good luck with intentionally casing stuff that scares me before really going for it too - it takes the unknown (what will happen if...?) and makes it known so your head is free to move on to how to get it done right.

i drink shower water
    i just say to myself "why would i get hurt? that wouldnt make sense" then i hit it.
    Prison is hard, everything else is easy

"Its All Good"
    Listen to Rage Against the Machine on your iPod, best psych up music.....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

pwn3rator
    just sprout a sack and do it. forget this "pump up" bullshift...
    SOCAL UNION REPREZENT
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    does it still qualify as a mountainbike?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I've beat beer cans on my limp pee pee.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The first three replys are priceless.

rolls on 26's
    Jun 2006
    haha thanks guys, i would agree with uncle too...

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Yeah, you've just got to shed your meat curtains.

Cinchy is a cool word ok?
    hammer a mountain dew and then punch yourself in the balls

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Shoot up on heroin. Then maybe do some crystal meth, depending on how I'm feeling

Local Paperboy Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkayne
    I watch RAD
    Damn straight.

Old school BMXer
    If you have to think about it too much, you're already too hesitant. You're done. You're better off not doing it at that time, since you may not be fully committed.

For the short bit while you're thinking about the jump or drop, and imagine exactly what you'll do. Although thinking of what you're supposed to do is very important, be mindful of the visible or unforeseen hazards or obstacles, and plan how you're going to negotiate them if they do pop up.

Again, it's ok to think about how to attack the job, but don't spend too much time getting your balls lined up. Most of the time, from what I've seen, it's the guy who spends too much time getting his balls together who wads it up.

I should also mention that I think I've contributed or encouraged a few trips to the hospital by others, so to speak (sorry!). Don't let anyone talk you into doing something that you're not comfortable with. Do it because you're confident you can do it.

And keep this in mind: Although your buddies may call you a wuss, I can assure you that there are other riders who do stuff that your buddies won't, making your buddies wusses to them.
    May the air be filled with tires!

mtbr member
    i usually do a swift 30 second beat-off followed by a 20ft huckage to flat concrete. usually works.

Disco-Superfly
    I punch a baby in the face.
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

dirt rules
    You must learn to know your self. Know your limits and how far you can push them. If you are not feeling something, hucking it anyway is a good way to get hurt. You have to learn to draw a line and draw it without a lot of thought. Like blaster said, if you are thinking too hard, you have probably already blown it. Better to wait and hit it another day. Visualize yourself doing the deed, and think of all the things you've done that were similar, and remember the feeling of nailing it.... THEN punch yourself in the nuts and hit it.

I post too much.
    I ride.

Glad to Be Alive
    I punch WCH in the balls.......
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

It has been reported that this will make you feel pretty much invincible. However, it may also have some small side effects, like impairing coordination, and permanent neurological damage. On second thought, you should just work your way up to larger and larger stunts..
    Attached Images Attached Images

notabouttoseeyourlight
    This may very well be the most consistently humorous thread going on the board right now.
    cycle tracks will abound in utopia.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    idk remember the movie but there's a female basketball athlete who has intercourse but doesnt go all the way, right before games, and she was the best on the team.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coma13
    This may very well be the most consistently humorous thread going on the board right now.
    It's possible. The escalation of the first three replies was great. Not to mention that it got Scabrider to post somthing longer than 1 word. That's impressive.

Me hates pinchflat
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtails Are Better
    It's possible. The escalation of the first three replies was great. Not to mention that it got Scabrider to post somthing longer than 1 word. That's impressive.
    Yeah Thats

sick...
    Quote Originally Posted by sriracha
    "jesus would huck it"
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    i have found the 1.5" headtubes to be slightly larger in diameter than 1 1/8", plus or minus

mtbr member
    I just remember that I've been lucky enough to never really hurt myself very badly on the bike. I've gone down hard, and gotten right back up, but havn't ever really gotten injured. A good quote from Lance Armstrong: "Pain is temporary. It may last an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and somthing else will take it's place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever."

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I just use some tacklin fuel.

The Beaver
    get up so much speed that there is no way to back down... before that... listen to everyone make fun of me
    Specialized P.1
    Specialized Demo

SamIAm
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster1200
    If you have to think about it too much, you're already too hesitant. You're done. You're better off not doing it at that time, since you may not be fully committed.

For the short bit while you're thinking about the jump or drop, and imagine exactly what you'll do. Although thinking of what you're supposed to do is very important, be mindful of the visible or unforeseen hazards or obstacles, and plan how you're going to negotiate them if they do pop up.

Again, it's ok to think about how to attack the job, but don't spend too much time getting your balls lined up. Most of the time, from what I've seen, it's the guy who spends too much time getting his balls together who wads it up.

I should also mention that I think I've contributed or encouraged a few trips to the hospital by others, so to speak (sorry!). Don't let anyone talk you into doing something that you're not comfortable with. Do it because you're confident you can do it.

And keep this in mind: Although your buddies may call you a wuss, I can assure you that there are other riders who do stuff that your buddies won't, making your buddies wusses to them.
    wow that sounds like what i do

my thing is if i say i can do something. then i get **** till i do what i say i can do. so i nvever say when i dont at lest think i cna do...so if i tell ppl i can do something then my thing is i better welll be able to do it, so i do it and see what happens

friends help u push urself, but never do something u dont at least see urself doing in ur mind
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    DragonForce and Symphony X

Me hates pinchflat
    Carrot muffins really psych me up
    Quote Originally Posted by sriracha
    "jesus would huck it"
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    i have found the 1.5" headtubes to be slightly larger in diameter than 1 1/8", plus or minus

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Damn straight

Quote Originally Posted by buccilli15
    Listen to some Mudvayne!

Mudvayne is sick

rollin
    mf doom and w33d

N* Bomber Crew
    Listen to my favorite music, and let go of the brakes.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

EastBaySteez
    I pop my headphones in and listen to some Psyopus. It makes you want go break somthing. Im not sure if I would go to the extent of punching myself in the nuts. I would probably accidently sit on them.... I did that twice today durring my ride...
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

mtbr member
    I just try not to think about it too much because the more I think about it the more I might not hit it.

Then I think to myself how much better it feels after I hit it (even if i do crash) then if I dont hit it and then I pretty much just hit it.
    Quote Originally Posted by shredder111
    Can I paint your rockring, silly bun salad?

Goofing off?
    I think that Blaster said it best. Envision yourself doing it from the take off to the landing. Do this a couple times and plan out what you would do if things went bad. Where would you bail, how would you land, ect... Once you have your plan, the confidence should come. It's like building a stunt. You need to have a plan and think about it a little, build it, and by the time it's done, your sh*t is a reality. If you don't feel comfortable doing something, don't do it, unless it is a 2 foot dirt jump that you can' really get hurt (very seriously) on.

i drink shower water
    BRAPPPP.... pin it = money!
    Prison is hard, everything else is easy

EastBaySteez
    I say whats the worst thing that could happen? I beef it? Ok. That usualy psychs me up
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    i talk myself into it. realize what i have to do (low/high speed, how much to pull up, wheres the landing, etc.) then i start calling myself a *****, yelling at the drop or jump, then hit it until people start to stare at me and wonder if i am mentally stable. It also helps when ppl are around for a couple reasons: 1) if i crash, they will most likely help. and 2) i like to impress ppl. not so much to inflate my ego but more so to get more ppl into "doing cool jumps and drops" and i also listen to music that makes me want to murder puppies, kittens and babies.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by buccilli15
    Listen to some Mudvayne!
    fvcking yes mang. Mudvayne is the GREATEST band of all time. Chad Gray used to be my next door neibor untill the band moved to LA. and my aunt always did Greg Tributs hair.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    i usually dont think bout it at all, and i just hit it. there have only been 2 times that i have been a lil hesitent to hit somthing and i jus kept watching ppl do it then think to myself ho wshitty that whould be if said stunt gets torn down b4 i hit it. and sure a nough like 2 weeks after i finally hit one it was torn down.

mtbr member
    I found that I just have to try and not think about it so much and ride...the more I ride the better I get and those things I want to accomplish happen sooner or later.
    H.D. Smith Montana bound, Aug 2007
    05 Giant DH Comp
    B40Huckers.com

Members who have read this thread: 0