what coil rear shock for Stinky?- Mtbr.com
    Two wheels are better

what coil rear shock for Stinky?

Have an '09 Stinky Air with a DHX 5.0 Air in the rear. Spent a lot of time trying to get the rear dialed and am still having issues. When it is pretty well dialed for faster, medium technical stuff (like Geronimo for those AZ people) then it can't handle slower, very technical trails with big drops (like Holbert) without bottoming out. It also can't handle much in the way of jumps without bottoming out when setup this way. If I firm it way up (to handle Holbert and jumping), then it is shite on the faster trails.

Anyway, the short of it is that I am thinking about swapping it for a coil rear and wondered if people with stinky frames have recommendations? Also, does anyone know the length and stroke this frame uses? (I measured, but want to verify I am doing it correctly).

Thanks in advance.
    "There are two kinds of people in this world that go around beardless—boys and women, and I am neither one"

Two wheels are better
    Oh and I am 165 pounds, so if you are near my size any input on spring strength would be appreciated.
    "There are two kinds of people in this world that go around beardless—boys and women, and I am neither one"

meow meow
    why dont you just set it depending on what trail you are riding? once you figure out the settings you need it wouldnt take long.

Two wheels are better
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    why dont you just set it depending on what trail you are riding? once you figure out the settings you need it wouldnt take long.
    Because it means that to handle bighit it runs too firm for everything else and no trail is 100% of a single terrain. I was hoping that a coil in the rear would basically just improve the end-stroke while allowing me to still have a usable beginning and mid-stroke.

meow meow
    true. maybe look at getting it pushed before you lose all hope?

Glad to Be Alive
    nah for those trails get a coil....way more plush
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    They do not offer there service for the DHX-Air

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    If you are willing to give a lot of money for a rear shock then there are a lot of options with lots of adjustments: Fox DHX RC4, Cane Creek Double Barrel, Elka stage 5, BOS Stoy, Avalanche DHS and many more. Search the forums and you will get an idea.

If you are on a budget, just find an old used DHX 5.0 or maybe a new VAN-R.

Note that many people buy expensive shocks and then they don't even know how to adjust them. So be realistic and buy what suits you...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I highly recommend the Avalanche DHS or one of the Avalanche piggyback models(depending on your frame size)...
    I went from a Fox DHX5 Coil to an Avalanche DHS
    and was very surprised how much better the Avy really is

It's sooooo plush yet feels bottomless.....night and day better than the Fox.

by far my best upgrade especially on the bigger hits...

I'm pretty sure the 09 is 8.5 i2i with a 2.5 inch stroke
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails what coil rear shock for Stinky?-dsc03337-4-.jpg  

Last edited by _rich_; 04-07-2010 at 06:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Ii you want to stay air,go with the evolver isx6.Ive been running one for two years on a 08stinky air.Its been awesome paired up with a totem solo air.It did not take to many rides to bin the 66ata and dhx air,just crap.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    used DHX's are cheap right now. Also could go with a Van-R and then have Push do the MX tune if they ever offer it again.

http://www.pushindustries.com/2009/i...&product_id=17

http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...Shock-2010.htm

Members who have read this thread: 0