What camera- Mtbr.com

Thread: What camera

mtbr member

What camera

i have 450 canadian (400 american) to spend on a camera...i want good clear photo's for action sports (ie. biking/FMX)

what should i look for and what can i get for 450?

mtbr member
    Here ya go look HERE. Its the Canon Powershot S3
    Also check this out HERE. It is a sony camera.
    This is a little high for ya a Canon Digital Rebel look here.
    Here is a review on the D50 Nikon!
    Digital SLR will have a much faster shutter speed no delay makes timing easier so keep that in mind!!!!!!!!
    Good luck

mtbr member
    hmmm, the powershot S3 looks like my best bet eh....it is in my price range (kinda)

if i wait till friday i may be able to get a camera with the Digital SLR...but the thing is i have 450 credit at best buy and i can get the nikon D50 for 799...aka my whole pay check (ya, im young, i have a crappy job, and i dont get payed much) but i went out and bought my slef a video camera without thinking...now alls i do is take pictures with it, so i am trading it in for a photo camera, that can take good pictures and mediocre videos.

i should wait till friday and get a better camera...damn i need some patience

mtbr member
    http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...43&catid=20222

with 200 from my pocket, and the other 450 from my store credit i can pick up your cannon digital rebel XT

8.0 mega pixels
    100-1600 ISO
    1/4000 shutter speed and so on this seems like a good camera for "action" sports...i will also be using it to capture races...formula-1 and Grand-Prix races

will it work?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    One thing to note is that digital SLRs won't take video, but who cares since the video is crappy from still cameras anyway. Definately wait till you have the money to buy an SLR you won't be dissapointed as the quality and expandability will be something well worth waiting for a paycheck or two

mtbr member
    Look at Zachs pic that is the same camera he has btw! I think Best Buy price matches, you may wnat to check make sure it includes a lens!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by free rider
    http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...43&catid=20222

with 200 from my pocket, and the other 450 from my store credit i can pick up your cannon digital rebel XT

8.0 mega pixels
    100-1600 ISO
    1/4000 shutter speed and so on this seems like a good camera for "action" sports...i will also be using it to capture races...formula-1 and Grand-Prix races

will it work?
    The XT is a great camera. To freeze sports action 1/1000 will usually be high enough. That shutter speed will freeze the dirt chunks being flung up by your tire.

mtbr member
    ya, looks like i can pick it up friday, and i will be sure to make sure it includes a lense...videos dont matter much, i still take 50 times more pictures than videos.

mtbr member
    ya, looks like i can pick it up friday, and i will be sure to make sure it includes a lense...videos dont matter much, i still take 50 times more pictures than videos.

edit: this is the lens that is included 18-55mm ED AF-S DX Zoom Nikkor Lens

any good? i know nothing
    Last edited by free rider; 09-13-2006 at 09:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    So are you getting the XT or the D50? Based on the lense you described i'm assuming your going with Nikkon. Either way 18-55 kit (included) lenses for either Canon or Nikkon are good compared to most point and shoot cameras but also leave much to be desired when you start to realize the image quality that is possible with better lenses. They are basically a cheapy lens to get your foot in the door. Not all good lenses are expensive, but most of them are. The Kit (lens +body) are usually about 100 dollars more then the body only (no lens). I think it makes good sense to purchase the body only and take the 100 bucks and go on CL and pick up the 18-55 kit lens used (there are tons) for $50-$60 then pick up a 50mm 1.8 lens which new is $79. This lens is amazing considering it is dirt cheap in the world of lenses. It is extrememly sharp and has a large aperature which will let you shoot at higher shutter speeds in lower light than the kit lens. For whatever reason they are able to produce this particular focal length lens for cheap yet still have optical clarity that rivals far more expensive lenses.

mtbr member
    Good call!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillmoe Slim
    So are you getting the XT or the D50? Based on the lense you described i'm assuming your going with Nikkon. Either way 18-55 kit (included) lenses for either Canon or Nikkon are good compared to most point and shoot cameras but also leave much to be desired when you start to realize the image quality that is possible with better lenses. They are basically a cheapy lens to get your foot in the door. Not all good lenses are expensive, but most of them are. The Kit (lens +body) are usually about 100 dollars more then the body only (no lens). I think it makes good sense to purchase the body only and take the 100 bucks and go on CL and pick up the 18-55 kit lens used (there are tons) for $50-$60 then pick up a 50mm 1.8 lens which new is $79. This lens is amazing considering it is dirt cheap in the world of lenses. It is extrememly sharp and has a large aperature which will let you shoot at higher shutter speeds in lower light than the kit lens. For whatever reason they are able to produce this particular focal length lens for cheap yet still have optical clarity that rivals far more expensive lenses.
    so just go for the body? and save the 100 bucks for a better lens...the lens you described is cheaper yet better than the factory lens?

i am buying friday, so i should pick up the body, and look for a used lens?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Yes, the 50mm F1.8 (canon not sure about nikon) is cheaper at 79 bucks than the kit lens. Far better image quality and speed (light gathering aka f-stop, not autofocus). Notice though that this is a prime lense meaning that it has no zoom capability. Primes in most cases produce better image quality at a cheaper price then a zoom lens. The 18mm-55mm F3.5-5.6 is a zoom lens which is why I say get both to start off with but get the kit lens used off ebay or CL since over time people end up replacing this zoom range with higher quality ($$) glass. So on a budget like yours the kit lens will give you a flexible general purpose lens and the 50mm prime will give you excellent image quality and low light capabilities which come in really handy trying to shoot MTB in the dark trees.

My prices and experience are based on the Canon lenes, but I believe all holds true within a few dollars for the Nikon. Which camera did you decide to get?

mtbr member
    hmm, i was confused for a bit there...i am going to go for the digital rebel XT, i guess. or is the D50 better?

the D50 comes with a lens, whereas the rebel is just the body, and as you said it is 100 bones cheaper.

should i go D50 body, or Rebel body

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Neither is better or worse as a whole. Much of the Canon or Nikon debate is purely preference or depends on if you already own lenses of one type. It's like answering which is better, a Mac or PC. Really depends on how your going to use it and which one feels better. I'd suggest going to a camera store and handling both of them before deciding. They are both great cameras but I don't have much hands on experience with either since I have a 30D.

Members who have read this thread: 0