Disco-Superfly

This is what burnt brakes look like

The smell was pretty
    The weekend was fun
    good times

Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

Meh.
    Here's some real burnt brakes...

You should see what we do to car rotors around here... Heh...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Disco-Superfly
    I got them to fade, intensely, but... i think at that temperature any brake would have?
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Disco-Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Here's some real burnt brakes...

You should see what we do to car rotors around here... Heh...
    those arent burnt, those are on f*cking fire
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Meh.
    I never did like factory bleeds. I rebleed all of mine. Use a high performance racing brake fluid. DOT 5.1s, Motul RBF600, etc. Any glycol based DOT fluid with a high dry/wet boiling point will do. The higher boiling point will help prevent fade. It makes a pretty big difference, especially if the fluid in the brakes is old.

Different pad compounds may help prevent fade. Rotors like the Hope 2-piece offer weight savings as well as better heat management. But you'll likely need to do some modifying to the adapter so that the rivets will clear it.

Equal opportunity meanie
    I thought this was pretty funny. I gotta say I've been impressed by Galfer so far. This is taken straight from their website.

"Step one, take our test bed bike (a old Haro Works dh racer) and put its front wheel against a wall while the bottom bracket and rear wheel are propped up with a milk crate.
    Step two, take the bosses Suzuki DRZ400 enduro race bike with a blueprinted Yoshimura race motor and pivot the rear wheel off the ground (utilizing the front wheel and sidestand) so that it contacts the bicycle’s rear wheel.

Step three, start the Suzuki and run it through the gears (up to about 75-80mph) so that the bicycle rear wheel is running the same speed in the opposite direction.

Step four, slowly but firmly apply the brakes on the bicycle (this is where it gets difficult as the two tires want to skip around a lot- 5 people at least are required for this test to keep both bikes steady!) and increase the pressure. Within about 1 minute, the rotor should be glowing cherry red. Within 2 minutes, the brake fluid should start to vaporize. Shortly thereafter, the brake won’t work at all no matter how much you squeeze the lever. Please keep care to not let the motorcycle overheat and spill coolant on the ground. (don’t ask me how I know this one, let’s just say cleaning up the coolant on the ground was a pain!)
    Step five, after letting both bikes come to a halt, pour cool water on the bicycle’s brake rotor (ooooh, steam!), when the rotor is cool, remove it and check for flatness and Rockwell hardness.

Repeat steps one through five two more times.

If the rotor maintains its flatness and hardness, it passes."

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    awesome video clip. any idea how fast you were going there? looks like SO much fun.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    wow..that was fast!

Road/XC/Freeride
    Cool clip.

I met a guy in Les Gets last year that had a pic on his phone of his discs literally glowing orange after a run. I never cooked mine on the track ...but on the shicanes down from Les Gets to Morzine trying to catch up with the XC boys it got to the point where pulling the levers was less effective than putting my feet on the ground!
    I'm on the Twitter.

moaaar shimz
    That is the point in which you say "FVCK, I should've bought those Magura Gustavs!!!!"

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    wow! is that the end of a dh or a hill or something? nice clip

mtbr member
    May 2004
    watch out for dot5 it isnt as good as dot 4 imo it wont take paint off, but it will boil out at lower temps then dot4. u need to watch out with this dot thing, some people think the higher number is better, when it is not. dot 3 and dot 4 still work great for me. dot 5 is only better cause it wont remove paint mainly, and it may last abit longer, but otherwise, thats it (except price)
    2018 Santa Cruz Nomad IIII

Moto Becane Roady

2015 KTM 1190R

"Trying is the first step towards failure"

-> SickLines.com <-
    Quote Originally Posted by bighitboy
    watch out for dot5 it isnt as good as dot 4 imo it wont take paint off, but it will boil out at lower temps then dot4. u need to watch out with this dot thing, some people think the higher number is better, when it is not. dot 3 and dot 4 still work great for me. dot 5 is only better cause it wont remove paint mainly, and it may last abit longer, but otherwise, thats it (except price)

Do you know what you're talking about..?

If you're putting dot 5 in your brakes... you're asking for trouble.

Dot 5 is silicone based and is not compatible with dot 3 / 4 / 5.1 systems.
    Dot 5.1 does offer a lot of benefits over Dot 3 / 4.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by bighitboy
    DOT 5.1 not DOT 5. DOT 5 is silicone based and not compatible with seals. DOT 5 is not hygroscopic. Read a little more closely.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    DOT 5 will eat your seals, too

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    anyone know if Hayes 9s are compatible with DOT 5.1

Meh.
    DOT 5.1 is glycol based. So is DOT 3 and 4. As long as your DOT 5.1 says that it can be mixed, there is no issue. Hayes will say no though.

Members who have read this thread: 0