what bike should i get?- Mtbr.com
    Phloater
    Dec 2008

what bike should i get?

Ive just sold my old bike that was a Haro X6
    im looking to get a used bike as im only 14 and dont have that much money to throw around, so it would have to be in the range of $800-$900
    I kept on bottoming out the rear shock, so i need something with more rear travel.
    i was just wondering what bike would be best for me if i like doing big hucks but also like hauling balls down a trail.
    Any info will help
    thanks

P.S. Ive been looking at a 06 big hit III for about 1200 CAD...what do you think

I think we should go back
    Nov 2008
    When you say big hucks do you mean about 7 feet?

Capricious youth...
    Look for something with a good shock, good fork, solid frame, and good brakes. Everything else can be replaced on the cheap at a later date. So don't let a crappy saddle, a heavy stem, or an old set of cranks deter you from a good solid bike.
    Meh.

Phloater
    Dec 2008
    no like 20-40 ft gaps

I am a pathetic rider...
    Sep 2007
    800-900 = 20-40ft And are you seriously going to be attempting 20-40ft gaps? If you are 14, and the fact that you only have 900 to spend means you aren't sponsored, I find it very hard to beleive you have the skills, maybe the kajones but not the skills to hit a 40ft gap. If you tried anything big enough to be worthy of working up to a 40ft gap, your X6 would have snapped long ago, being a light AM bike.
    Save the Earth, Ride a Cyclist

Phloater
    Dec 2008
    ive never cleared the 40 yet but ive cleared 20s and 30s easy

Phloater
    Dec 2008
    i didnt post this thing to get bashed on here
    i just wanted opinions on what bike i should get

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    umm how about get a bike that costs about as much as you have to spend?

anything that is a 'freeride' bike: meaning IMO 7 inches of travel is up to the task.

pinkbike classifieds i where i recommend looking

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I did a pretty big 40 footer once

Not trying to call you out, I've never met a person hitting (more then once anyway) any gaps 20-40 feet wide that didn't know exactly what they wanted in their bikes. Or any that would be willing to trust their life in a bike they picked up for 900 dollars without really knowing anything about it.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you get, hopefully you enjoy it.

mtbr member
    He is 14 so we might be talking about pinkbike measurements.

I am a pathetic rider...
    Sep 2007
    good point, so maybe his 30ft and 20ft gaps are really like 15 feet to 10 feet, which is still pretty respectable I guess, but not 40ft.
    Quote Originally Posted by phloater
    ive never cleared the 40 yet but ive cleared 20s and 30s easy
    Pics or stfu

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettj45
    He is 14 so we might be talking about pinkbike measurements.
    I need to start getting faster on here. First XSL Will beats me to recommending someone a Boxxer lowered to 178mm travel, and now you beat me to a Pink Bike reference...
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

I think we should go back
    Nov 2008
    Yeah a pic of you doing a 20 foot gap please

I can ride a two-wheeler
    try the bighit, you can get em cheap

I used to have one, cleared 30 footers no problem

its in your price range

you can buy a crappy one, and easily upgrade to better stuff once you get the cash

mtbr member
    Who you buy the bike from is more important than what you buy. Anything owned by teen is going to be clapped out and you will constantly be replacing parts. Get something from an old dude that does a few shuttle days and maybe a trip to Whistler a year.

The Bighit is a good starting point

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    I used to have one, cleared 30 footers no problem
    Uhhh pics please... P.S. The Log jumps at the end of Boondocks isn't 30 feet.

OH WAIT. I forgot if you ride a Chumba F5, the 5 in the F5 multiplies whatever jump length you cleared by 5. The 5 also multiplies your post count in which you talk endlessly about Chumbas.

mtbr member
    Try prostitution out... after a couple months you'll have more money to buy yourself a HUCK bike since that's apparently all you do.

Or you could look for a used Banshee or go for the big hit. I dunno, I'd feel pretty sketch on a new $900 bike on something like what you're planning on doing, and even though you get a bit more bang for your buck by going used you're still going to possibly run into a bike with a lot of problems at that price range.

I can ride a two-wheeler
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptordude
    Uhhh pics please... the 5 in the F5 multiplies whatever jump length you cleared by 5. The 5 also multiplies your post count in which you talk endlessly about Chumbas.
    sike!

and here's a vid of me on a chumba (don't have any of me on the bighit on the jump)

and how many times have i mentioned chumba? and when do I endlessly talk about chumba? wtf's your problem man?

<object width='500' height='440'><param name='allowFullScreen' value='true' /><param name='allowScriptAccess' value='always' /><param name='movie' value='http://www.pinkbike.com/v/43021/l/' /><embed src='http://www.pinkbike.com/v/43021/l/' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' width='500' height='440' allowFullScreen='true' allowScriptAccess='always'></embed></object>

edit: here is a picture of me with a bighit on it
    Attached Images Attached Images

N* Bomber Crew
    and how many times have i mentioned chumba? and when do I endlessly talk about chumba? wtf's your problem man?
    Sorry...Poh carry-over.

mtbr member
    Be nice to the kid.....
    I've seen a 13 year old hit a 40 foot gap.
    But he was on a Yeti 303 :P
    "A Fifth of Yager, a four pack or Red Bull, and a full suspension mountain bike, now thats quite a combo."

mtbr member
    i think he was getting a little optimistic with the gaps. and don't think that us, the younger riders, cant jump, look at my avatar, that's me jumping a 15 foot gap just before a 25 foot gap. im not sponsored nor been riding long (just over a year now). but we can jump and don't go discarding us because of our age.

besides have a look at this nutter:
    <object width='500' height='440'><param name='allowFullScreen' value='true' /><param name='allowScriptAccess' value='always' /><param name='movie' value='http://www.pinkbike.com/v/26127/l/' /><embed src='http://www.pinkbike.com/v/26127/l/' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' width='500' height='440' allowFullScreen='true' allowScriptAccess='always'></embed></object>

EDIT: was supose to also say that the kid jumping in the video...is 12
    Quote Originally Posted by [Orge
    ]
    This problem could quite simply be solved if people would stop buying Konas.

SamIAm
    that lil kid is the dead salior masta! i wish i could do that 50 feet
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

Glad to Be Alive
    I am selling my bike and been eyeing this.....look down at the reviews....A pro rider marvels about this bike

for your money this is better then high end bikes like foes and chumbas

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/allRe...uct_id=5585806
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Glad to Be Alive
    sike!
    and here's a vid of me on a chumba (don't have any of me on the bighit on the jump)
    edit: here is a picture of me with a bighit on it
    one foot kicker with a nice endless tranny......not being mean .....but I see kids do that on wallmart bikes

no flame intended...but I wouldn't use that video to brag about the merits of the chumba
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

For The Win
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    I am selling my bike and been eyeing this.....look down at the reviews....A pro rider marvels about this bike

I'd call you out on writing that, but there's too much punctuation, and not enough ellipses
    Slow is cool too, right?

GAME ON!

it says dh. i think he's looking more for fr.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by StinkyFTW
    I'd call you out on writing that, but there's too much punctuation, and not enough ellipses

wasn't me....but funny none the less

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Dude please dont tell me your being serious!

That bike is crap, quick realease and three chain rings on a DH bike. And the pro rider saying he has done 80ft drops i really doubt that.

Look at the real mongoose team dh bike then look at this one and tell me the difference between the two, I dont think you will see EC tearing up any dh on this walmart bike.

I am a pathetic rider...
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by IrSc
    Dude please dont tell me your being serious!

That bike is crap, quick realease and three chain rings on a DH bike. And the pro rider saying he has done 80ft drops i really doubt that.

Look at the real mongoose team dh bike then look at this one and tell me the difference between the two, I dont think you will see EC tearing up any dh on this walmart bike.
    Wow, he was joking, although your response makes his joke like 10 times funnier.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    SMT - I usually don't react to your nonsense - but are your meds making you an ass? The jump at boyscout is much more than a 1 foot kicker with an endless tranny.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by his dudeness
    Try xxxxxxxxx out... after a couple months you'll have more money to buy yourself a HUCK bike since that's apparently all you do.
    You are by far the biggest idiot Ive seen on this forum period. YOU ARE TALKING TO A 14 years old kid YOU DUMBASS !How the **** old are you, 17?Retarded...

Come on this forum really has gone to **** now.Is there no moderator on here?!?!

Phloater, Im 32 and where I live there's more than a few kids, even younger than you that can hit 20-30 feet gap on any given day so dont let the others bring you down, they're just jealous cause they dont have the balls to hit anything that big.

Ive seen people hitting BIG jumps with only 4" of travel, so travel is a bit irrelevant at this point, in fact it might save your ass a few times but it could just as well be your
    worst enemy for hitting a jump.

Realisticly, I dont think you can find anything worth wasting your money for 900$ except maybe a hardtail. Sure you'll find bikes in that price range but it'll be junk and you woulndt be doing yourself a favor IMO.I dont think your current bike is the problem, it definately wasnt made for this but if you are bottoming out a 20 ft gap jump I think you're gonna have to work on your skills a little.

Are you on your seat when you land( I hope not ) maybe you are putting too much weight on your front or back wheel?Whatever you do I dont think you are using you legs enough upon landing.

Good luck, dont waste your money, save it and when you get 1500$ buy yourself a sweet rig.

Members who have read this thread: 0