What bike parks NEED to be visited on the eastcoast ?- Mtbr.com
    RideDirt

What bike parks NEED to be visited on the eastcoast ?

So this year im doing it a bit differently , im going to be demoing some DH bikes before i start building one up. I do have my Knolly to get my by for now tho .

So this year i want to hit up all the best parks on the east coast . So far , I have done Mtn Creek and Plattekill but i have Highland planned early July . What other places would you guys add to visit ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Are you willing to come to Canada?
    Is yes, there is Bromont, Mont Ste-Anne.
    Whiteface in the US.

Eric

RideDirt
    I was trying to stay in a 5-6 hour driving radius but ill keep those in mind.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Killington's bike park has had a lot of improvements lately, that's worth a try.

If you want a real challenge with some nasty, technical riding try Attitash in NH and Sunday River in ME. Easily some of the hardest lift served around.

I haven't ridden there myself but I hear Jimminy Peak in Western MA is a decent bike park.
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

RideDirt
    VTSession - Just YouTubed both those places , VERY nice and look super tech haha .. Attitash looks like that will whoop your ass and make you a better rider within 1 hour lol . Def diggin the trails tho , nice and rough . Going to add those to my list.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
    VTSession - Just YouTubed both those places , VERY nice and look super tech haha .. Attitash looks like that will whoop your ass and make you a better rider within 1 hour lol . Def diggin the trails tho , nice and rough . Going to add those to my list.
    I've been DHing for awhile and Attitash and Sunday River kicked my ass. I took many spills and scared the sh!t out of myself several times. Not for the faint of heart.
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    If you decide to go to Bromont, let me know. My schedule is pretty flexible and could probably meet you if you want.

Eric

mtbr member
    Does WV count as east coast?

Snowshoe Mountain - Bike Park

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Didn't see anybody mention Burke Mtn in Vt.

mtbr member
    Attitash bike park looks killer!!! That's going on my future destination list.

Huh?
    Apr 2005
    Both Sunday River and Attitash are very unforgiving mtns. I mainly ride SR but a trip to Highland is a must.
    Highland has the jumps drops and flow of a "mountain bike park"
    Sunday River is like DH singletrack. Steep, Rocky, tight and twisting trails. They do have a couple of more flowy trails with some jumps and drops as well.
    If you go you need to hook up with a local and hit the Tower Trail.

Tower Trail - Sunday River Mountain Bike Park 2011 - YouTube

9 lives
    We ride Mont Ste Anne every October (for closing weekend).

Otherwise blue mountain in Ontario is where we ride most weekends.

It looks like you have a lot of choices, aedubber!
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Snowshoe, Highland, Mtn Creek. I went to almost all of the ECoast lift-served places last year and these are the best three. I think Mountain Creek has the most mature trails, great small town. Highland has a few trails, certainly not as many as Snowshoe or Mtn Creek, and not the vert either.

Burke has a few trails on the lift, but only a few. Fun, to be sure, but go and ride Kingdom 1-2 days and Burke 1 day.

I had fun at all of them though. Claymore was rad.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

RideDirt
    Sweet , sounds great .. Yeah Mtn Creek is my stomping grounds and love the diversity of it , and the lifts are super quick . Ill keep all these in mind and see what i can do this summer .. I got Plattekill already out the way today , so next is Creek then Highland and a few more .

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    How was Plattekill aedubber?

RideDirt
    Quote Originally Posted by danglingmanhood View Post
    How was Plattekill aedubber?
    PRIMO conditions ! They had the lifts on the left side spinning today . Awesome weather , trails were nice and loose and super steep !
    I took the Giant Glory out for a spin and damn it felt so good , was popping off everything . Had an interesting time controlling the Knolly in a few spots but managed lol .

mtbr member
    Great thread! I havent even heard of half these bike parks. So far Ive been to Mtn Creek and Plattekill. Ive gone skiing a lot at Jiminy peak, how did I not know they had a bike park?
    6'5" 230lbs
    My Build: Vitalmtb - Bike Check

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Mmmmm....Mont Ste-Anne

A few parks I have not heard of. Seems like you'll have plenty of options, get going!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I live in upstate NY and my gf and I made it our mission to visit most of these east coast bike parks last summer. I have lived in Vancouver where I rode whistler regularly. I prefer natural trails but have no problem with jump lines so here is how I would rank the region.

Plattekill- such a diversity of natural, gnarly trails, but enough mixture my gf has a blast.
    Sunday river- a mixture of great technical trails, plus a few jump lines, beautiful scenery.
    Whiteface: gnarly,natural terrain, and long runs. Not much variety though- dirt jumps nearby
    Mountain creek: again a Great mixture of everything, I did break 3 ribs here though
    Killington: good variety, can string together some long runs, seems to be putting in quality effort on trails
    Highland: I don't consider this a downhill park, plenty of fun with jump lines, but slow and long lines
    Attitash: natural fall line trails but can string together some good trails. Pirate mike showed us around.
    Jiminy: good steep terrain similar to plattekill, left side has some fun longer runs and nice drops
    Mt snow: great place for beginners, I got bored here with easy runs and lack of variety
    Burke: dh bike not necessary, bring an am bike to ride kingdom and you can use it at Burke for some fun but short runs.

RideDirt
    LaXCarp- Are the lifts @ Highland as slow as the ones at Plattekill ? The ones at Creek fly

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    LaXCarp- Are the lifts @ Highland as slow as the ones at Plattekill ? The ones at Creek fly
    Slower

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman

I heard Blue Mountain is re-opening their DH program this summer. I always thought it was a fun place before they shut down. There was really nothing to scare anyone, just fast single-track in the woods. Nowhere near as built up as creek but always made for a great day and nice change of scenery.

RideDirt
    Quote Originally Posted by LaXCarp View Post
    Slower
    Wow , thats pretty shitty :/ .. My main reason to go there is to demo a few of their bikes they have in their Demo line up this year.

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    I heard Blue Mountain is re-opening their DH program this summer. I always thought it was a fun place before they shut down. There was really nothing to scare anyone, just fast single-track in the woods. Nowhere near as built up as creek but always made for a great day and nice change of scenery.
    Yea , i been following this here and there . I never had been to it before , if i have time id throw it on the list . I guess im just spoiled with having Mtn Creek by me with so many diverse trails in a single bike park .

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman

Yea , i been following this here and there . I never had been to it before , if i have time id throw it on the list . I guess im just spoiled with having Mtn Creek by me with so many diverse trails in a single bike park .
    Yep. I get stuck in the same trap. Tough to spend one of my few potential days anywhere else. Especially after the renovation.

Blue was definitely fun though. Closer in atmosphere to Platty than creek. Definitely BYOB!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    no mention of LAUNCH? They're in PA. About 2 hours from NYC. I haven't been but a few friends went last year and thought it was great and they were doing great things over there, with a lot of motivation from the owners/employees as well.

mtbr member
    All of my suggestions would be bringing you on a trip south...

Timberline Bike Park: Davis, WV- I've never been to Plattekill... but I have heard that the two are similar. Natural, tech, singletrack with a staff that is unparalleled.
    Snowshoe: Snowshoe, WV- Lots of trails of various type/ difficulty. A good bit of singletrack and tech trails. Most new work has focused on machine built trails and small to mid-size jumps.
    Launch Bike Park: Spring Mount, PA- A small mountain that will certainly test your technical bike handling skills. The trail design uses the natural terrain and rocks surprisingly well.
    Seven Springs: (near) Somerset, PA- Mostly machine built with lots of jumps and freeride features. A few natural, tech trails too.
    Wisp Bike Park: McHenry, MD- A modest bike park with mostly singletrack trails and a few jumps. A machine built trail was completed last year.

There are two new parks this year that I am excited about. The reopening of Blue Mountain in PA... and the brand new Bryce Mountain Bike Park in Basye-Bryce, VA

Good luck with your season... I usually make a trip up to Vernon, NJ once a year... maybe we can take a few laps at Mountain Creek!

RideDirt
    Thanks man , coming back from my injury I plan on going nice and easy lol ... hit me up anytime to ride , im down for whatever.

mtbr member
    Where does everyone stay when touring these bike parks? Are you in hotels every weekend? or camping? or something else?
    6'5" 230lbs
    My Build: Vitalmtb - Bike Check

mtbr member
    I'll be at Mtn Creek this weekend.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

RideDirt
    Sweet , ill be there saturday trilbildr ... So if you see a black knolly w/ blue accents here and there say hello !

Delirious Tuck
    aedub... I'll be at Mt.Creek early, probably out by noon. Oh how I love a season pass, in and out before the crowds and trails get crazy.

Look for the black knolly w/gold bling riding with a Sasquatch on a Purple Camo 29er DH sled and a Chick on a Silver Knolly with a totem. My Vtach and Chili were fun as heck there, but I'm looking forward to going podium faaaaaast...

Hopefully this year I don't have to gap over idiots standing in the trail intersections...

RideDirt
    Yeah I passed on the season pass this year but I wanna get there earlier as hell lol ... sweet man ill keep an eye out for ya if I can . 29er dh sled ? Ha interesting .... yes trail blockers need to just get plowed over.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Are there anyone's around NC?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    l post on these threads all the time...I'm sure you can search "east coast" and "parks" and get at least 5 long winded posts from me. Here's one from this similar thread on ridemonkey.

Here's my 50 pesos, having been close to everywhere on the east coast.

Must go:
    Plattekill - Great scene, short or zero lift lines, incredible network of trails, almost impossible to find your way around without a guide. Camp out in the lot for $5 and grab some pizza in town or bring a grill and cook your own burgers.
    Highland - Jump lines all day long, manicured trails and stunts. Can have super long lift lines that you'll spend 15 minutes in, and the trails get chopped to bits throughout the season. Great facilities, but poor elevation (something like 600 ft of vert).
    Bromont - Haven't been in a while, but when I went they had the best lift system I've seen, great natural trails, good vert and a great trail network. Supposedly they have improved significantly since I went. They have poutine in the lodge.

Should go:
    Whiteface - Incredibly long, natural DH trails. You can expect to get maybe 5-8 runs in during the day, due to the length of the ride and the lift. Short lift lines. Trail can get repetitive as there are only two from the top, that branch off into 2, that branch off again, and only some of those are worth riding. Still, nowhere else on the east coast can you get 2400 feet of vert and 14 minute long runs.
    Jiminy - Can get pretty bad maintenance wise but in the last few years a local guy has stepped up and gotten a crew together to really refresh the trails, which can actually be really fun. The rider's right side of the mountian is crazy steep, worse than plattekill in places. The left side is shallower and more dirt vs. rocks, and has some really fun, classic trails. Can be insane in the wet. The lift will murder your bike if it's a lightweight, so hold onto it on the way up. Nothing is worse than riding a chair back and watching your bike bounce off the side of the lift...but mine are usually 45 tanks so they shrug it off.

Stop by if you have the time:
    Mount Snow - Few selection of trails but they've been doing work to improve. More wide open than steep and technical.
    Attitash - Didn't spend a ton of time here not-racing but the trails I found were fun but poorly maintained, including a pipe through the middle of one trail that wasn't clearable, requiring a stop or front flip off the bike, which I chose. Perhaps my favorite race course from 2011, a good mix of steep and natural with some sprints in between and some very technical challenges.
    Burke Mountain- really really fun trails but only two worth riding. Haven't been to the top, which requires a separate shuttle van. The two trails are designed by knight ide, and they are super flowy jump trails that let unskilled riders like me and super pro dudes ride the same stuff and have fun on it. Jester is worth spending an afternoon on.

Skip unless you're bored:
    Killington - Last time I went here there were more flat trails than downhill ones. The two that went down the face were fast and tedhnical, but I spent most of the day trying to find the so-called "secret" trails that people keep saying are so awesome. I had a bad time, and haven't been back.

I haven't been to Sunday River, Sugarbush (are they open during non-race weekends?), Mcreek in a while, pats peak, or MSA.

To my understanding, Bromont, Whiteface, Mcreek, Highland, and possibly Killington are likely to be open midweek in June. Burke is usually open during the week, I think, and while Jiminy is as well, they only run the little lift which is not worth riding.
    I think, as an east coaster and not somebody who's just visiting, you absolutely HAVE to visit Plattekill, Whiteface, Bromont, and Highland. I think Jiminy is a bundle of fun as well, but it's not as "drink beers in the parking lot" as plattekill is. Highland is like 8 "alpine" trails, the rest are natural DH parks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I might be a little biased here, but Snowshoe has a lot to offer. We're working out a deal where if you have a season pass at MTNCreek you get 3 free days to try out Snowshoe's Park! Also if you live close enough to West Virginia there a smoking deal on our passes for this summer: The LD3 Pass is Here! Snowshoe Bike Park Season Pass for only $149!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I spent the last 15 years riding DH on the East, (until last summer when we moved out to Bellingham.) My fav's back home are Highland and Mtn Creek. I would HIGHLY recommend heading over the border as Bromont and Mont St. Anne are unreal! So many skills to learn from those parks!

A GREAT resource for bike park information can be found here: MTBparks | Your Mountain Bike Park Guide

Downhill fan
    Highland rocks! Spend all day there yesterday.
    I'm thinking about shreddin' it up right now!
    Giant Glory DH (custom)
    K2 Evo 4.0 FS XC (custom)

mtbr member
    Definitely check out Launch Bike Park in Spring Mount, PA. Always improving, and has the techy rock trails, as well as drops and man made features.

RideDirt
    Quote Originally Posted by bklnbdub View Post
    Definitely check out Launch Bike Park in Spring Mount, PA. Always improving, and has the techy rock trails, as well as drops and man made features.
    Yup , thats on my lift but i got a few parks ahead of it for now . Looks like a cool fun little park .

May The Force Be With You
    Oh how I miss being home hometown Upstate Ny/Saratoga.. Plattekill rocked
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '01 Straight 8
    '16 Balance
    '11 Jedi (for sale, small)

Nickel Havr
    Just rode Launch yesterday for the first time...
    Trails aren't very long and there isn't a whole lot of vert.... BUT there are NO lift lines and the super chunky terrain make for a fun day!
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbildr View Post
    Snowshoe, Highland, Mtn Creek. I went to almost all of the ECoast lift-served places last year and these are the best three. I think Mountain Creek has the most mature trails, great small town. Highland has a few trails, certainly not as many as Snowshoe or Mtn Creek, and not the vert either.

Burke has a few trails on the lift, but only a few. Fun, to be sure, but go and ride Kingdom 1-2 days and Burke 1 day.

I had fun at all of them though. Claymore was rad.

mk
    Have you made it to the Whiteface Mountain Bike Park yet? What bike parks NEED to be visited on the eastcoast ?-307812_2210533336074_644533694_n.jpg
    Downhill Mike
    Whiteface Mountain Bike Park
    www.downhillmike.com
    Open 7 days a week!

RideDirt
    Downhill Mike - On another trip im going to hit up Bromont and Whiteface

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Lots of great information regarding Lift-Served Mountain Bike Parks at MTBparks.com.

https://mtbparks.com/

Shartacular Spectacular

Ridder-o-mancer

Quote Originally Posted by ridder252 View Post
    Lots of great information regarding Lift-Served Mountain Bike Parks at MTBparks.com.

https://mtbparks.com/
    What bike parks NEED to be visited on the eastcoast ?-4f8f12dc-53b1-4242-b62b-87603bbe5d23.jpeg
    18 SC Bronson Carbon
    Grip2, Reserve 27's, i9's, Float X2

18' SC V10.6
    Grip2, We Are One: The Outlier, i9's, Avy Woodie