what bike- Mtbr.com

Thread: what bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

New question here. what bike

Looking for a new bike for free ride and "downhill" bike park really for fun. Considdering IronHorse 7 point series, jamis dakar bam 1, giant glory 1, transition DB. I weigh no mre than 140 and am 6 foot flat. Whats your opiooin.
    "Ride Life Ride Giant"

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by huntandride
    Looking for a new bike for free ride and "downhill" bike park really for fun. Considdering IronHorse 7 point series, jamis dakar bam 1, giant glory 1, transition DB. I weigh no mre than 140 and am 6 foot flat. Whats your opiooin.
    First, go to the gym and put on 20lbs.

Second, I vote Giant Glory 1. That is what I plan on getting after christmas!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Method of Rhythm
    First, go to the gym and put on 20lbs.

Second, I vote Giant Glory 1. That is what I plan on getting after christmas!

lol i try its hard for me to gain weight

but yeah i think the glory is my current top choice, seems to have the best bang for the buck
    "Ride Life Ride Giant"

EastBaySteez
    I feel ya.
    Im 115 and cant gain weight for the life of me.

I gotta say if you like jumping the 7point would be the way to go. It still kicks ass on the DH tho.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    narrow it down to glory 1 and 7point, (the BAM is a new gen. bike, I would wait a bit.) and from there choose whatever you think looks better. both bikes will perform awesome, and they're both one of the top FR frames out there. You just can't go wrong with either. Find the best deal and buy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    although I would say the 7point would be somewhat better than the glory 1 at jumping and throwing around because of the difference in travel and weight, and the glory will be a little better in the DH department. Anyway you would be able to do whatever with any of them so just go with what you like.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Look for a 2007 Demo 7 on sale some where!
    Go BIG or Go HOME

Will to Win
    www.citybikes.com put Demo on the search bar, they have a 2007 Demo 7 II on sale. i believe its $2.999.

thats $1.400 cheaper than it really is

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

but yeah i think the glory is my current top choice, seems to have the best bang for the buck
    How old are you? If you're still in high school, then don't worry about it, you'll be able to gain weight in college. Just lay off too much beer and hit the gym and keep riding.

Glad to Be Alive
    I graduated high school at 6 feet and 135pounds...it will come

all are good bikes...it comes down to personal preference
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    i love my glory 0, but if that demo is the right size for you, that blows any other deal you'll find out of the water, thats an amazing deal, i've never been a fan of FSR but thats crazy price for those specs. if you have the money to drop on that, do it!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    ask yourself what would you do with it. like if you would have to be able to pedal, do you want high speed stability or slow speed etc. The demo has a longer wheelbase and slacker HA so it will handle better at high speeds, the glory and 7point have steeper HA so you will have more response at slow speeds. and there's a whole bunch of differences but they're all FR bikes so I'm sure you will be able to use all three of them for jumping hucking and some DH etc. etc. and they will perform amazingly.

As SMT said, it comes down to personal preference, and of course the best deal you can find.

If you don't care about the price then put one picture of each bike in your desktop and take a good look at each one. then when your face goes buy that one. cheers!

StraightOuttaCompton
    How old are you? If you're still in high school, then don't worry about it, you'll be able to gain weight in college. Just lay off too much beer and hit the gym and keep riding.
    yea, that is some good advice. I am also in high school. Don't you grow into your body eventually, so you aren't skinny as hell like me and sam. I weigh 160 and am 6'1".

on another note, go for the glory or 7point. if you go IH, you can get fat discount at bicycle bananas, but they are out right now. Wait for them to get some in.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by albertomannil
    www.citybikes.com put Demo on the search bar, they have a 2007 Demo 7 II on sale. i believe its $2.999.

thats $1.400 cheaper than it really is
    i saw that looks nice but how does city bikes work can they ship it to you the website seems to be confusing
    "Ride Life Ride Giant"

a tight kick sound
    nicolai UFO ST! Nuff said

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Djponee
    yea, that is some good advice. I am also in high school. Don't you grow into your body eventually, so you aren't skinny as hell like me and sam. I weigh 160 and am 6'1".

on another note, go for the glory or 7point. if you go IH, you can get fat discount at bicycle bananas, but they are out right now. Wait for them to get some in.
    the thing is ih isnt making the 7.3 anymore their on to 08 so theres none to order in 17
    "Ride Life Ride Giant"

mtbr member
    I would highly consider the Marin Quake bikes. I like the Whyte suspension design; same guy that does F1 suspensions in the 90's.

This is an ebay link :http://cgi.ebay.com/2007-Marin-Quake...QQcmdZViewItem & http://cgi.ebay.com/2007-Marin-Quake...QQcmdZViewItem
    Attached Images Attached Images
    DH:Mountain Cycle Shockwave 9.5 w/ 888R
    FR:Marin Quake w/ 888RC
    AM:BMC Superstroke 01 w/ 66RC2X

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    boone looking at the bike listings he has up, i don't think he's in the market for a frame that costs as much as the completes he wants

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    dirtbag easy

mtbr member
    I am highly considering this frame as I am fed up with the brake jack with Faux Bar designs. I know that using the rear brakes is more for directional braking and that the best place to use it is on the smoother sections of the trail. However there are certain times that the smoothest section is still pretty gnarly; and that is where brake jacking is highly evident. Click the links to Marin's website and suspension tech so you'll know why:

http://www.marinbikes.com/2008/us/homepage/index.php and http://www.marinbikes.com/2008/us/te...h_quadlink.php

The only thing that is holding me back is that I just got my DH bike to use for the really gnarly stuff and fortunately my DH bike has a floating brake system which significantly reduces it.
    DH:Mountain Cycle Shockwave 9.5 w/ 888R
    FR:Marin Quake w/ 888RC
    AM:BMC Superstroke 01 w/ 66RC2X

mtbr member
    That Marin looks like it has a lot of metal; how heavy is it?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    the marin rides really well. its quite snappy and theres no evidence of the suspension becoming less active due to breaking forces, and it pedals really well. I don't like it quite as much as meastro or dw, but it feels gooood!

My vote still goes with the demo though (if thats your size and its within your price range), otherwise a 7point or glory.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'd be wary of city bikes. Especially since Spec doesn't allow internet sales

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Rover Nick
    I'd be wary of city bikes. Especially since Spec doesn't allow internet sales
    its ok its just a bikeshop's website. u cant actually buy the bike from there.

also found a sc bullit for 2800 really liked it
    "Ride Life Ride Giant"

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Get the Bullit Sam, that orange will make you faster!
    Go BIG or Go HOME

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i think i just might
    "Ride Life Ride Giant"

Members who have read this thread: 0