What 6-8 inch suspension frame has a short wheel base?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

What 6-8 inch suspension frame has a short wheel base?

I would like to upgrade to a rear suspension frame, but of all the frames I've tried they all have too long of a wheelbase for my liking. My aggro hardtail has spoiled me with a super short wheel base that's great for wheelie drops, etc.

I'm thinking of a Bighit or Kona stinky frames. Big hit looks like the 24 rear wheel will shorten the wheelbase considering the amount of travel.

Any other options? Nothing over $800 for the frame alone.

mtbr member

u could sell your little brother....

way mo than 800 but unless my memory is failing me the sc vpfree's rnt to bad ( as far a wheel base length)
    chode1: dude I cant nail that road gap
    jong2: yah dude.
    chode2: dudes, if we had a team...
    jong1: yeah just like on that Disney movie!
    chode1: chix would dig it and wed get layd
    chode2: everyone except you that is
    jong2: yeah lets be the Paris Hilton Death Squad
    chode2: PHOQUE YEAH!
    chorus: TIME TO DO THE ROAD GAP!

Origionally posted bygonzostrike

i should be working
    i have a stinky delux 17" and my riding buddy has a med bighit. i havent taken out the tape measure or anything but my kona seems to have a shorter wheelbase.

as long as you dont get something extremely long you'll get used to it quick.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by rpl3000
    i have a stinky delux 17" and my riding buddy has a med bighit. i havent taken out the tape measure or anything but my kona seems to have a shorter wheelbase.

Big Hits have a suprisely large wheel base...even with 24 inch rims
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rpl3000

hmm, kona sounds really good for the price $600. If big hit is long then I don't want a 24 in the rear.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

asx

I rented one in moab last year and loved it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Big hits are long I have one, It does wheely REALY WELL though

Samsonite Tester
    The Iron Horse SGS is the shortest wheel base long travel bike I have seen. It had a very BMX bike feel to it.

EK
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE!?!
    Bullits real and fake (i.e. Weyless 67) have shorter wheelbases. They're not insanely short though.
    --Tod

"I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's law; I merely enforce it."

Team Sanchez
    Who ever stated that the VP Free has a short wheel base has been smokin the cheap stuff. Any who, check out the Banshee Chaparral. The Scream may also have a short wheel base, but I rode an XL Chaparall, and I felt like my arse was directly over the rear tire.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

Xtremely Moderate
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    but I rode an XL Chaparall, and I felt like my arse was directly over the rear tire.

Ehhhgh.
    Your VPF is at the top end of the scale. Chap is about middle of the road. Bullit is short end of scale.

XL VPF: 46.9
    XL Chap: 45.3
    L Bullit: 43
    XL Turner 6 pack: 46.2
    L six pack: 45.3
    L Big Hit: 45.8
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by Skygrounder
    Bullits real and fake (i.e. Weyless 67) have shorter wheelbases. They're not insanely short though.
    You are smokin' the buddah too there Sky...My XL Bullit's wheelbase is pretty generous...almost 2 full inches longer than my buddies XL Banshee Chap, but not as long as by buddies size L stinky.

WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    You are smokin' the buddah too there Sky...My XL Bullit's wheelbase is pretty generous...almost 2 full inches longer than my buddies XL Banshee Chap, but not as long as by buddies size L stinky.
    When I was shopping last I took note of the fact that the large Bullit had a 43" WB, whereas the other bikes I considered were longer (AS-X=44.5, Gemini=45, DirtBag=44.75, VP-Free (okay this doesn't really count)=46). Stinky site says the L is also a 43". Wasn't trying to say the Bullit had a tiny WB...just an inch or two shorter than the direct competitors). I'm just basing this on the geo numbers though, which obviously are only part of the story to how long a bike seems to the rider.

It's all really academic though, given that it's not ever going to stop raining in socal.

And to anyone here....would it be correct to say that the top tube length has as much or more to do with the feel of length of a bike than WB? The Bullit has the same 24" top tube length as most of the longer-wheelbase competitors.
    --Tod

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BudhaGoodha
    hmm, kona sounds really good for the price $600. If big hit is long then I don't want a 24 in the rear.
    Have you called Linden at WHEEL WORLD for that frame for $599.00 I told you about yet?
    It is really a sweet ride.It has the perfect wheelbase for my type of rideing.

REMEMBER longer wheelbase also means more stable.(ON LANDINGS) And I have no problem wheelie dropen my stinky. I think the stinky is in the middle road in the wheelbase dept... But it feals very stable in the air and on the ground.

And if you only have $800.00 to spend, then that still gives you $200.00 to spend on shipping ($35.00) grounds. and ($56.00) shipped 2 day air. Plus other goodies you will need to finish the build.

My size xxl(20") stinky has a 46 inch wheel base with a marzocchi z150 up front. Keep in mind that i have a very large frame,and for you to compare my wheelbase to the size you need. it would be shorter!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

And to anyone here....would it be correct to say that the top tube length has as much or more to do with the feel of length of a bike than WB? The Bullit has the same 24" top tube length as most of the longer-wheelbase competitors.

CORRECT.
    SHORT WHEELBASE = FLICKABLE
    LONGER WHEELBASE= MORE STABLE AT SPEED AND ON DROPS.

Or at least thats the way it feals to me. The top tube is the correct way to measure the frame to buy, for a good fit. The wheelbase is what you choose in how you want the bike to handel.
    Last edited by ctrailfreak; 01-09-2005 at 10:56 PM.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    When I was shopping last I took note of the fact that the large Bullit had a 43" WB, whereas the other bikes I considered were longer (AS-X=44.5, Gemini=45, DirtBag=44.75, VP-Free (okay this doesn't really count)=46). Stinky site says the L is also a 43". Wasn't trying to say the Bullit had a tiny WB...just an inch or two shorter than the direct competitors). I'm just basing this on the geo numbers though, which obviously are only part of the story to how long a bike seems to the rider.
    My XL Bullit running a Z1 sports a 45.5" wheelbase and jumps significantly w/ the Super T. The TT is 24.8". Again, my buddy's size L stinky w/ Super T is longer than my Bullit by at least an inch.
    According to El Chingon, the Free's wheelbase is like a limo.
    Rain sucks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrailfreak
    CORRECT.
    SHORT WHEELBASE = FLICKABLE
    LONGER WHEELBASE= MORE STABLE AT SPEED AND ON DROPS.

Or at least thats the way it feals to me. The top tube is the correct way to measure the frame to buy, for a good fit. The wheelbase is what you choose in how you want the bike to handel.

Strange.

I've taken my hard tail off the same 6 foot drops as I did with dualsuspension frames. The hard tail is way easier to huck off stunt drops when going super slow to the edge and wheelying (not even a word) into the drop from a standstill. I also didn't like the longer frames because they didn't seem as agile on the stunt cat walks and teeters. Maybe I just have to get used to it and ride one for a week or two.

I sure do prefere dual suspension for hucking through raw unmanicured natural drops and rough4x4 brush riding. Any man made jump can be made to be smooth no matter what you have, but hardtails are really limited in their room for error. It's a lot easier to mess up a landing and hit hard with the HT. 4-5 feet to flat is about all I can take with a HT. Some of the DS bikes I rode made dropping 4 ft to flat feel like rolling off a curb.

I think I might go with the stinky, only after I test ride one. I like the idea of being able to fabricate my own linkage for more travel. It also looks cooler than any other bike frame, but that isn't really a priority of mine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    short wheelbase and steep head agile make a bike more agile for me and easier to control, I kinda like the "BMX" bike feel

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    a Banshee Scream has a 43 inch wheel base in the shortest setting and thats a large

mtbr member
    In my expiriances it is the chainstay length that is important in getting the front wheel up. A short chainstay length allows the person to put his or her weight over the rear tire easier. If you look at trials bikes they have a rediculous short chainstay because of the time spent on the rear wheel. I personally have a demo 9 which has long wheelbase of 46.5 inchs but a 16.7 chainstay. This allows the front wheel to come up easy and has the stability at speed. Do some homework and find the bike with the shortest chaninstay length. 1/4 of an inch will make a significant differance in bike feel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bamxbam
    a Banshee Scream has a 43 inch wheel base in the shortest setting and thats a large

43 sounds really good. I'll check that out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    When I was shopping last I took note of the fact that the large Bullit had a 43" WB, whereas the other bikes I considered were longer (AS-X=44.5, Gemini=45, DirtBag=44.75, VP-Free (okay this doesn't really count)=46).
    Just a note... when comparing the Bullit and VP Free... the Large Bullit is more comparable to the medium VP Free (not the large), so the wheelbase for the VP Free is 44.9", still not as short, but a little more comparable... .sorry just something I notice, cuz I'm comparing those two bikes.

Have fun
    T

banned
    Banshee Scream with 24" wheels is the shortest FR wheelbase.

Banshee Scream with 24" rear, 26" front is next shortest.

Banshee Scream with 26" wheels is next shortest.

then come all the others.

a Scream with its rear wheel in the forward set of holes provides the shortest wheelbase of any FR dual suspension rig in mass production. however, I'm sure you could get Lance and Chris Canfield to make you a custom dual suspension FR rig with a shorter wheelbase.

WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike
    Banshee Scream with 24" wheels is the shortest FR wheelbase.

Banshee Scream with 24" rear, 26" front is next shortest.

Banshee Scream with 26" wheels is next shortest.

then come all the others.

a Scream with its rear wheel in the forward set of holes provides the shortest wheelbase of any FR dual suspension rig in mass production. however, I'm sure you could get Lance and Chris Canfield to make you a custom dual suspension FR rig with a shorter wheelbase.
    Are the rear wheel positions on a Scream each designed to accomodate one of the above wheel configurations? (your post originally caught me off guard before I remembered the adjustability of Screams...given that wheelbase isn't effected by diameter).
    --Tod

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    ok here it is! the shortest wheelbase dh bike known to man. shorter than the scream even.

and the sad thing is that someone out there is really rideing this thing!

Uhhhhh...
    ok here it is! the shortest wheelbase dh bike known to man. shorter than the scream even.

You actually sold that thing?

-TS
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I would never sell such a thing as that to any one!
    I would never own such a thing as that!

I found it in a old mongoose thread. Someone had posted a pic of their mongoose downhill freeride bike. I just thought it would be kinda funny to drop this pic in here as every one was talken about wanten a short wheelbase and all!

You got to admit, it was kinda funny though!

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Are the rear wheel positions on a Scream each designed to accomodate one of the above wheel configurations? (your post originally caught me off guard before I remembered the adjustability of Screams...given that wheelbase isn't effected by diameter).
    Diggin' the Aqua Teen avatar.

WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE!?!
    TS-- that thing is freakin' awesome! I'd love to take that thing around the block...not necessarily offroad...and wearing full DH gear for when it explodes. I'm not kidding either...couldn't be any more difficult to ride than the rear wheel steering bike built Mech E students at the U of Illinois that actually tried to design a bike that looked (relatively) normal but was virtually impossible to ride. Quick steering, great BB clearance, tons of travel, c'mon what more could you possibly want in a serious FR rig?

Quote Originally Posted by konabiker
    Diggin' the Aqua Teen avatar.
    Thanks...absolutely can't get enough of that show!
    --Tod

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Some guy on here built that up a long time ago as a joke. It was pretty funny, the way he described the feel of the ride. He said that when you got it going at all, the front wheel would shake like a shopping cart...the 0 deg HA may have had something to do with that

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby
    Some guy on here built that up a long time ago as a joke. It was pretty funny, the way he described the feel of the ride. He said that when you got it going at all, the front wheel would shake like a shopping cart...the 0 deg HA may have had something to do with that
    YA the first time i saw it,I thought my eyes were out of focus. till I really looked at it and saw that it was a real walmart mongoose that someone had refabd some rear shocks on that didn't fit!

i just thought it would fit in this thread as a funny joke.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by e<i>o
    Ehhhgh.
    Your VPF is at the top end of the scale. Chap is about middle of the road. Bullit is short end of scale.

XL VPF: 46.9
    XL Chap: 45.3
    L Bullit: 43
    XL Turner 6 pack: 46.2
    L six pack: 45.3
    L Big Hit: 45.8

My 03 Large Bullit with an 03 Super T came in at 44.5" wheelbase and head angle came in at 66 degrees.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Try the Ram DH/FR

He can take dimensions you specify and build exactly what you want; including wheelbase.. The frame pictured has 11" of travel and weighs 4 pounds lighter than the Giant team dh.

Ram Cycles
    916-568-0952
    Attached Images Attached Images

not really a noob

WTF is that?????
    I HATE WORK, WORK IS BAD, WORK = NO BIKE, NO BIKE = NO GOOD

mtbr member

No good Umm... That is really something....

Jezz... There is always something.... something.... something.... Unblievable Crapy !!! WTF is tthat BIKE ??
    Life = Biking