wet sanding or steel wool- Mtbr.com
    kona-tize me captain

wet sanding or steel wool

well im startign to paint one of my hardtail frames, i prepped it for paint and everything very nicely. took my time and everythign. now im on my first coat of primer. im letting it cure for a whole night and tom ill be smoothening it out. im not sure i fi should use 400 grit wetsand paper, or steel wool. i used steel wool in the prep work and it was very nice. what do most people use these days? has anyoneried steel wool? is 400 grit gona be to corse?
    Looking for a 7.87 x 2.25mm shock, any brand any age that runs well!! cheap would be appreciated!

...for I am a raindog too

I've wet sanded

and been happy with the result. I did a custom paint scheme on a beach cruiser. (it's a Sheila magnet...) Anyhow, I don't know what grit it was off hand-- super fine-- I primered about three times using the wet sand after each app. and have been really happy with the outcome.

don't be shy about blasting the H3LL out of it with clear coat at the end. I put what must have been 15 or 20 coats of clear after all was said and done!!!!

Meh.
    I like to use 600 grit wet sand between coats. I also like to cure each coat in a oven.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Wet sanding, just due to the fact that steel wool is actually considered a serious health hazard nowadays. In work if I absolutely had to use steel wool they force me to wear a mask because getting all the small steel wool dust into your lungs is pretty bad and hard to get out of there in the long run. So be safe and use wet sanding.

Hisforever
    wet sand it with 400 before colors. Then clear it once...dry....600 wet sand....dry....then clear again and your set. I would'nt recommend using steel wool to prep painting surfaces.

we've painted a dozen frames before, this is the best method. the second clear isnt necessary, just if you want it extra nice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by predator
    Wet sanding, just due to the fact that steel wool is actually considered a serious health hazard nowadays. In work if I absolutely had to use steel wool they force me to wear a mask because getting all the small steel wool dust into your lungs is pretty bad and hard to get out of there in the long run. So be safe and use wet sanding.
    damn i didn't know that stuff was bad for you! i used that stuff on a steel frame in94-95...crap.....that stuff worked GREAT, and i was going to use it to matte-out my fork outer legs....

Members who have read this thread: 0