Ways To Make Giant Glory Lighter??- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    81

    Ways To Make Giant Glory Lighter??

    just wanted to get some input on how to make the giant glory lighter wiht out spending to much money
    in the range of around 300
    thanks

  2. #2
    banned
    Reputation: The Tod Says What?!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    917
    tubeless, different cranks, ti coil, new bars/stem, tires,etc. basically the small stuff

  3. #3
    clyde in training
    Reputation: 08nwsula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,917
    all Ti bolts and screws

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,473
    different axle. apparently you can save about a half pound or something just there. different cranks, bars, wheels, etc. the diabolus are heavy. the 729s are heavy. probably tons of other stuff too but i cant remember all the specs.

  5. #5
    Bottlerockin'
    Reputation: coiler8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    839
    Quote Originally Posted by matt
    different axle. apparently you can save about a half pound or something just there. different cranks, bars, wheels, etc. the diabolus are heavy. the 729s are heavy. probably tons of other stuff too but i cant remember all the specs.
    I didn't know axles were that big of a deal? Who makes a [I]light[I] axle? (preferably bolt on)

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dowst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,705
    fill your tires with hydrogen

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,473
    Quote Originally Posted by coiler8
    I didn't know axles were that big of a deal? Who makes a [I]light[I] axle? (preferably bolt on)
    To quote FCLinder on RM... "The stock rear steal Axle weighed more than a pound+ with Axle Nuts. I replaced it with an Azonic Aluminum Axle with Steal Nuts. It weighs half of the stock one." Not sure exactly what Azonic axle he replaced it with, but that is pretty good for just an axle.

  8. #8
    Bottlerockin'
    Reputation: coiler8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    839
    Quote Originally Posted by matt
    To quote FCLinder on RM... "The stock rear steal Axle weighed more than a pound+ with Axle Nuts. I replaced it with an Azonic Aluminum Axle with Steal Nuts. It weighs half of the stock one." Not sure exactly what Azonic axle he replaced it with, but that is pretty good for just an axle.
    Yeah, unfortunately I need a 10x135 axle...the Azonic ones are for 12x135 and 12x150 rear dropouts.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: El Gordo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    538
    Quote Originally Posted by coiler8
    Yeah, unfortunately I need a 10x135 axle...the Azonic ones are for 12x135 and 12x150 rear dropouts.

    The azonic momentum axle has a 12mm body but it is stepped down at the ends to 10mm for the dropouts. I use it on my Preston, which is 135mm x 10mm dropouts
    _________________________________________
    TRANSITION!!!!!!
    08 Blindside - Zoke 66
    07 Preston - Zoke 55 R

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    256
    The steel axle on the glorys/faiths are 12X150 and weigh 200gr with included hardware (nut things on the end). The azonic 12X150 alu axle weighs 100gr. both measurements are exactly what i got on my digital gram scale. so u be the judge $30 (as i've seen it advertised) for the 100 gram reduction, or money spend elsewere. tubeless and wheelset are by far best money spent as far as weight loss you can actuallly feel. kinda like if you weigh 250 and lose 80 pounds. you can def feel it when you ride.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,473
    Quote Originally Posted by mobile chernobyl
    The steel axle on the glorys/faiths are 12X150 and weigh 200gr with included hardware (nut things on the end). The azonic 12X150 alu axle weighs 100gr. both measurements are exactly what i got on my digital gram scale. so u be the judge $30 (as i've seen it advertised) for the 100 gram reduction, or money spend elsewere. tubeless and wheelset are by far best money spent as far as weight loss you can actuallly feel. kinda like if you weigh 250 and lose 80 pounds. you can def feel it when you ride.
    I really have no idea how much the axle weighs on the Glory. I was just trusting something that I had read over on Ridemonkey.

    Thats actually a pretty good weight to cost ratio even if it is only 200g to 100g... You drop about 1/4 lb, which is fair for $30. Tough to drop 1/4 lb most places on the bike just like that for relatively little money. TI spring will drop weight a fair amount too. Not sure on the exact weight of the spring you have on there, but it can.

    I agree that wheels make a huge difference, as well as tires and tubes. I'm not sure if you have the stock 729's, but going to 721's would save about 85 grams per rim... Or 170g, .37 lbs total. Not bad. If you are running DH tubes, definitely ditch those. Maxxis DH tubes weigh about 465 grams each (claimed weight) and the Welter Weight tubes only weigh 178 grams each claimed weight. Both Presta weights BTW. 287 grams per wheel for a total savings 574 grams, or 1.3 POUNDS. Hella weight dropped right there.

    If you go tubeless, you may or may not save weight. I went ghetto tubeless with 721s and I believe when I did the figures last, you save weight going with the 721's and a BMX tube, stans ghetto style, over the added weight of the 823. I didn't notice a huge difference, but I might be stupid. I don't get any flats though. You'll also save weight on tires going from regular to UST tires, at least in Maxxis. You go from 1330g for a 2.5 3C Minion DHF to 1270 g for the UST version. More good weight savings.

    I believe your bike comes with the Diabolus X-Type cranks? If so, weight is 1288 g with one ring maybe and BB? I'm not sure if thats included. Saints are 1108.

    You could go to the Middleburn RS-7 Cranks for a super light setup. They're 467g according to Middleburn, and you can use a FSA DH bb, weight is 280g on the site, but I'm sure thats the smallest BB size, so maybe like 50 g more for 83mm? So like aroudn 800 g total? 350 g savings over Diabolus, claimed and guestimated weights of course, but that is significant.

    Those should be some ideas to keep you busy for a while.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by matt
    I really have no idea how much the axle weighs on the Glory. I was just trusting something that I had read over on Ridemonkey.

    I believe your bike comes with the Diabolus X-Type cranks? If so, weight is 1288 g with one ring maybe and BB? I'm not sure if thats included. Saints are 1108.
    Haha you trust stuff u read on ridemonkey?? j/k

    my diablous x-types (175's mind u) plus a 38T ring and bolts weighs in at 1150gr btw. diablous cranks, albiet looking hella heavy are actually worth their weight. i mean they dont really way a **** ton more than the saints, but I basically am not affraid of smashing them into anything. they are diesel. I believe NSMB did a test of the saints, diablous's and OCT's and the OCT's and diablous's far outshined the saints on every test of strength.

    But again, if you feel like dumping money on something that you may not really need go for it. I'll stand by my opinion with getting a really nice tubeless wheelset, no ghetto tubeless/XC rim stuff. Go 823, plus hope or something else thats lite hubs. 15g straight spokes alu nips (if your not a clydesdail rider that is)

    You will actually feel this weigh loss when you ride, versus the same weight or even slighty more elsewere. Why? because its rotational mass, and not rotational at the central vertex, rotational - 13" from it. thats HUGE when it starts spinning. it doesnt really matter when your coasting because it will be the same weight as it is normally then. Any change in direction or "acceleration" is when you will notice it. yes even when bunny hopping. So if you want to make your pedalling power count more - pedalling being how we change our velocity/accelerate - lower that rotational mass so changing your velocity becomes easier. Pros typically have a way higher average speed than us - meaning they have cleaner lines and carry their speed better, but for the average joe racer when you screw up a line or don't carry your speed through a section like you wanted to and have to pedal out, having a lighter wheelset will aid in that greatly.
    Last edited by mobile chernobyl; 10-18-2007 at 09:38 PM.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    81
    the tubes and tires and axle seem good, im not sure i want to go with diffrent wheels they can get costly and i am only 14 with a 2200$tab to my father (go daddy). and also i go off some things 6-7 feet some higher and i have been known to bend/dent rims (3sets so far) none of witch on the glorys mavic 729 with ringle hubs.
    i know the wheels are heavy but for the strengh ill keep them, but i will switch the tubs from the thoun rezesent to normal down hill tubs, and diffrent tires
    the crank is a race face rvolve dh
    nice crank according to MTBR.
    anyone see a need to change the 4.0 dhx coil to a 5.0 coil or even a roco world cup?
    thanks for all the responces

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by higherach downhiller2
    the tubes and tires and axle seem good, im not sure i want to go with diffrent wheels they can get costly and i am only 14 with a 2200$tab to my father (go daddy). and also i go off some things 6-7 feet some higher and i have been known to bend/dent rims (3sets so far) none of witch on the glorys mavic 729 with ringle hubs.
    i know the wheels are heavy but for the strengh ill keep them, but i will switch the tubs from the thoun rezesent to normal down hill tubs, and diffrent tires
    the crank is a race face rvolve dh
    nice crank according to MTBR.
    anyone see a need to change the 4.0 dhx coil to a 5.0 coil or even a roco world cup?
    thanks for all the responces
    The glory/faiths came with the DHX 4.0 because of their leverage ratio curve. They don't need a 5.0. It sounds like you are content on your bike, so save your money and only buy things that effect the true feel of your bike - i.e. things you make contact with. Bars, grips, pedals and seat. If your content with your current setup just spend the money on nice places to ride. dont let it burn a hole in your pocket

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    81
    well i gess i am puzzled because the 2006 have a 4.0 and the 2007/2008 have A 5.0
    did they chang angles or something

  16. #16
    -> SickLines.com <-
    Reputation: mtb_biker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,196
    Quote Originally Posted by coiler8
    Yeah, unfortunately I need a 10x135 axle...the Azonic ones are for 12x135 and 12x150 rear dropouts.
    If you've got a 10x135, Hadley makes a bolt on axle(should be light) or try the DT Swiss RWS axle (~70g).

  17. #17
    -> SickLines.com <-
    Reputation: mtb_biker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,196
    Pieces to look to change:
    Axle
    Wheelset - Ringle/729 isn't that light.
    Cranks - FSA gravity light Mega EXO / Saint
    Cassette - Dura Ace / Ultegra road cassette
    e.13 chainring
    Bars - EA70's
    Stem - Thomson / Easton Havoc / Sunline
    Tires - Maxxis are lighter (~70g each tire saved)
    Lighter Tubes
    Pedals possibly could be changed for lighter ones

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boogenman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,744
    I have ridden all summer on regular bulk 26X2.2 tubes with no pinch flats. Probably saving around 1 pound

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FCLINDER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    544
    Used the Azonic 12x150 axle on mine. Here is the link of my write up on my 07 Glory race bike. I am now back with Morewood and have a 7"x7" Mini DH bike under 36lbs.

    Glory write up and how I got minedown to just under 40+lbs from the 46lbs stock weight:

    http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/sho...ighlight=Glory

    Good luck guys,
    Cecil
    Ride!

  20. #20
    2010 Glory custom FR
    Reputation: frango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,098
    you should also change:
    saddle for some racing type (120-200g)
    brakes for Formulas Oro Puro or K24 with 180/203 rotors
    seatpost for Thomson and cut it
    There are also more expensive parts you can change. Moreover, if you are not a racer but weeknd warrior as I am you can do following changes:
    switch the shock for DHX Air 5.0
    switch fork for Boxxer WC Air or Totem Solo Air
    Easton CF h.bar and s.post
    build wheels with Hope Pro II hubs, Mavic EN321 rims and DT Competition 14-15G - 2100g set
    Continental or Schwalbe thin wall tires

    My Glory DH XS 06 is 16,80kg (37,33lbs), now. I will rebuild it at the beginning of the next season with Glory (FR) 08 S frame, Totem Solo Air and some other light stuff. It should weigh about 15,75kg (35lbs).
    For riding in mountains I switch tires and tubes what add about 800g to the bike weight.
    pozdro
    frango

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    680
    If you are on a budget run ghetto tubeless. It will cost you a bottle of stans, and 2 BMX tubes. It brings the cost down from 80$ to 30$
    Pump Tracks Are Rad!!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.