Warranty Advice-- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Warranty Advice-

This Saga has been posted in a couple different areas of this forum at different times but its getting to crunch time so I figured Id solicit some advice here.

Short Version:

Kona Coiler. Marzocchi Drop-Off Comp (pos). After 8 months (and not a whole lot of riding since it sat for 4 winter months in the garage) the right fork leg started spewing oil out of the dust cover/top seal. Took it to LBS they replaced the seals. Oil stopped leaking. Stopped riding for 3 months because of injury. At 11 months (very near the end of the 1 yr warranty period but first few rides after the rebuild) I discover that the right leg no longer holds air for longer than a couple of rides. It has now been 13 months, I took the bike back into LBS, they pulled fork and suggested sending it to Marzocchi to be fixed- at my cost.

Now Ive had troubles with the fork for quite awhile- am I crazy in thinking that this is a warranty issue? My LBS thinks that Marz wil nix the warranty because they consider the problem 'wear and tear'. Doesnt seem to be wear and tear to me, seems like a defect, but maybe Ive been hitting the crack pipe a little too hard....

Anyone have experience working with Marz and warranties? Does this sound like a legit problem or should I just suck it up and pay to have the for fixed? Id really just prefer to upgrade to something better and bigger but cant afford it and dont want to wait for months with my bike out of commision.

Thanks-

i should be working
    i'd say pump it up every time you ride and save for an upgrade. JrT's are going cheap these days.

otherwise, i've had a good warrany experience with marz. the busted crown on my dirt jumper was fixed no questions asked.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ask the LBS if they will at least ~try~ to convince Marz to warranty it for you. Not sure about the specifics of your situation, nor am I sure if Marz deals directly with customers in the US (we have to go through their distributor, Norco, in Canada), but you could try contacting them directly and very politely explain the situation. Technically, you are SOL, but Marz is supposed to be pretty good about warranties, and what do you have to lose anyway?

Glad to Be Alive
    one thing...when bikes "sit" for a few months the seals get dry. You press them and they start to leak. If you leave some fork oil on the sleaves, after cleaning them, when storing your bike, then the seals are kept moist. Usually no problems. Talk to the warrenty dept at Marzocchi....maybe they can help.

Your local LBS can turn it in for you and say you had the fork for less than a year, if you have a great relationship with them
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Former Noob Herder
    well 99% of the time leaks are wear and tear, so it'll take some convincing. Although Marz seals are really good and should last longer than that so make sure your shop actually presses them on it. Shops dont necessarily try to get you a warranty, sometimes they just submit it as a repair. Sad but true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    one thing...when bikes "sit" for a few months the seals get dry. You press them and they start to leak. If you leave some fork oil on the sleaves, after cleaning them, when storing your bike, then the seals are kept moist. Usually no problems. Talk to the warrenty dept at Marzocchi....maybe they can help.

Your local LBS can turn it in for you and say you had the fork for less than a year, if you have a great relationship with them

Yeah, unfortunately I bought the bike directly from Kona- so Im not sure about that. I was kind of hoping that the oil leaking and air leaking from the same leg were related (not too sure about the actual physical processes going on internally). I initially contacted my LBS before the warranty expired (stretching it maybe) and they rebuilt it prior to the warranty expiring.....dunno maybe Im grasping at straws and should just pump the F*c#er up every ride. I guess you get what you pay for tho- Should of sucked it up and gone for the dee-lux and put the difference on my CC. Love the bike tho-

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Hmmmm....food for thought. I did ask my shop to inquire about a warranty. I work in a similar industry and although we generally direct customers to dealers for warranty processing, occasionally Ill deal with one personally (especially if they are being cool). Anyone dealt directly with Marzocchi in the USA? Guesses on the cost of having them rebuild it?

V10 Freerider
    I always deal directly with Marzochi. They have always been more than fair. If it even appeared to be their issue they fixed it. if it was a repair it was at a reasonable cost. Save yourself the headach and the time and call Marzocchi direct.

MARZOCCHI USA
    25213 Anza Drive
    Valencia, CA 91355
    Phone: 1.661.257.6630
    Fax: 1.661.257.6636
    The Super T you have is really a very good fork. I'd take that fork over a Fox 40 or a Boxer unless i was entering a fashon contest instead of a race

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenschwinn
    I

MARZOCCHI USA
    25213 Anza Drive
    Valencia, CA 91355
    Phone: 1.661.257.6630
    Fax: 1.661.257.6636
    800-227-5579
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rpl3000
    i'd say pump it up every time you ride and save for an upgrade. JrT's are going cheap these days.

otherwise, i've had a good warrany experience with marz. the busted crown on my dirt jumper was fixed no questions asked.
    You consider the JR. T an upgrade?

Id save for a 66

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Just got off the phone with Tim at Marzocchi. Seems like a pretty reasonable guy and they're going to scope it out and give me a call back. Thanks for the Ph#'s guys, it is killer to be able to deal with them directly. We'll see what happens....