Want to know more about the Corsair Maelstrom?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Want to know more about the Corsair Maelstrom?

Design Aspects with Corsair Bikes' Doug Stuart

Take a look at the HD video of the suspension linkage and idler pulley in action. Doug offers some amazing explanations of what went into designing the Maelstrom.
    Last edited by GearTech; 07-01-2009 at 12:35 PM.

dontcha?
    Nice work, I'm really liking the maelstrom the more I read about it.. kinda wish they did a longer travel version of it as a race bike instead of the overly complicated Crown..
    "The future belongs to those that believe in the beauty of their dreams."

mtbr member
    Thanks brother. I'm really loving the frame so far.

The Crown really isn't that much more complicated to be honest. You can run it without the second shock with 180mm of travel or both shocks for 240mm. For tuning I would simply dial in the main shock first with the secondary shock off the bike then I would add the second shock, air it up till it starts to compress at 80-85% of the first shock's travel then dial in the rebound and compression on the second shock to suit your needs. Sounds like fun to me actually which is why the Crown is on my short list of frames to review in the near future.

clyde in training
    that video is about 3 minutes too long, but everything else is pretty good

mtbr member
    Thanks for the constructive criticism. I'll consider your opinion for my next video like this.

Video is Kinda drawn out, do not need to watch the suspension for that long.

The black and maroon text against the background doesn't work too well. Makes it hard to read. Easy to change the css if you don't wanna switch your theme.

Great content just would be much better with a better presentation.

Thanks for sharing.

mtbr member
    I agree, I changed it, what do you think?

mtbr member
    Oh, and no one is forcing you to watch the whole video .

ready to ride
    All I know is that it's a sick @$$ bike.

PS This isn't mine
    Attached Images Attached Images
    N* = <3 <3]

mtbr member
    That's err's rig. Very nice build there.

Quote Originally Posted by GearTech
    I agree, I changed it, what do you think?
    Much better, way easier to read.

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    I want one.
    Hunter, Simmons, Berrecloth, Watson,Vanderham, Semenuk, Schley, Gulevich, Bourdon, Smith, Moreland, Shandro, Boyko... Bieber.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    how much does the frame weigh without shock?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    does anyone race a maelstrom or do they just race the crown

mtbr member
    A medium frame with a Roco/250# spring is 11.1#. I will be taking the Roco off soon and I'll weigh it separately for an approximate frame weight.

IMO one could easily race the Maelstrom. It is extremely stable at high speeds and would be even more so with the 65 degree headset installed.

Roll on Spring Time!
    Gear Tech
    I am still waiting for my Elka to be delivered so my frame and bits can be shipped. I am not going with a light build since I had to go with outlaws due to funds and evrything else is just standard stuff saint cranks etc. I have looked through all you links and posts but cant find your build wait? Dont know if I missed it. I am not a weight weeny but I am expecting this will be my first build over 36/37lbs. I am expecting the 40lbs mark.

mtbr member
    With DH tires and tubes I'm at 41.1#...not light. I do have a pretty heavy fork on there too. I might try a lighter fork and wheelset in the future but the bikes rides so nice as it is that I'm not in a rush to change anything. I'm running Outlaws too FWIW. They are a bit heavy but they are a very nice wheelset especially for the money.
    Last edited by GearTech; 07-05-2009 at 06:18 AM.

Roll on Spring Time!
    Eggsactly. I cant cough up for Pro2s and..... plus the outlaws I have are wicked strong. My plan is to take the outlaws now and then later I will run them with good DH rubber with a lighter set o hoops and tyres for trail riding etc. Completed a long 3hr mixed terrain ride today on the Wildcard which is a little cramped so I am hoping if I am more comfortable on the large Maelstrom I may survive the weight gain.

mtbr member
    I could lose about 1.5-2 pounds if I went ghetto tubeless with my Big Betty USTs but I just can't be bothered with that right now. I'm out of Stan's Sealant and I'd rather spend money on other things. The non-UST dual ply Big Bettys and Muddy Marys grip like crazy too so I'll live with the weight.

The Maelstrom pedals very well, you won't be disappointed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I saw the maelstrom being ridden in Austria on the weekend by a well known german freerider.

He had it built up with a hammerschmidt. Not only did it look awesome, but he was pedalling the bike up everything! Then ripping it down some pretty gnarly downhill and northshore trails.

With a single crown fork, 66 HA and the hammerschmidt this makes a very playful bike that pedals better than any other long travel bike I have ridden.

With triple clamp and 65 HA this a downhill racing weapon!

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    To a couple points -
    Yeah, that's my ride in the pic above.
    It's setup at 65 deg HTA
    This bike is SMOKIN fast, you can pretty much just plow with it despite the 7" travel because of the axle path.
    It would make a fine ride for someone who wanted to FR and DH race.
    The Crown is faster
    The first time you ride a Crown, it's complexity is completely overshadowed by its performance.
    The Elka is retarded, I have tried, very, very hard to overwhelm it in the rock gardens, not happening, tire is planted at all times.
    I rode this thing 45 min uphill twice in the last week
    She weighs in a 40.27 lbs at the moment with 2.5 DH tires, uncut seatpost, heavy pedals, steel spring, and a few other portly odds and ends.
    I could have it at 38lbs and still able to handle hardcore FR easily.
    I am in love, we are engaged, sending out wedding invites soon...

Roll on Spring Time!
    People posting other peoples rides, outrageous! Next thing its your girly girl then your sister, where does it stop?
    Err glad to hear your still digging your new ride. Took everyones advice and went with a large and on your advice the Elka upgrade. The Elka took a little while so there has been some delay to shipping but Allen at Dropnzone has been wicked with getting things sorted out. I now have 4 boxes in the care of DHL and on route to South Korea.

mtbr member
    So what are the better fork options for this frame? Being that the HT is 1 1/8" would this bike be better off with a DC fork? I say this because I do feel the flex in the steerer on my 1 1/8" Lyrik and I don't think I'd want that on a FR/DH bike. I just plunked down a deposit on a Maelstrom build and was initially very interested in a '10 Boxxer Team (posted this thread in the suspension forums). Although that doesn't look like that will happen any time soon due to availability.

mtbr member
    I just ran the pro/am DH course at Snowshoe with my 66 and I have to say that any flex did not bother me at all on that EXTREMELY gnarly course.

Having said that, I think this frame would be brilliant with a Fox 40 (like Err's) or any other good DC fork. The extra front travel would match very well with the rear suspension of the Maelstrom. The back end of this bike smooths out even the biggest of square edged hits and shows no signs of slowing the bike down (hanging up) over rough terrain.

mtbr member
    Well, well. What do we have here?

Quite possibly a little something that will help me contribute to Err's Corsair Action pic thread.

Just waiting on wheels and tires. I'll post some better pics and build info once it's complete.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Oh NICE!

I interesting all the DC Maelstroms. I just happened to have mine around from my previous build but then, I think it's just about perfect. I have a Totem on my SS but the extra performance of the 40 is nice on the Maelstrom. That Boxxer looks right at home on there.

I AM PEDALING!
    I just listed mine in the MTBR classifides http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...?product=38577 if anyones looking for a size large.

It's a great frame design, just a bit much for my 45 year old body to be pedaling up the mountain.
    Pain Is Weakness Leaving The Body

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Err
    To a couple points -
    Yeah, that's my ride in the pic above.
    It's setup at 65 deg HTA
    This bike is SMOKIN fast, you can pretty much just plow with it despite the 7" travel because of the axle path.
    It would make a fine ride for someone who wanted to FR and DH race.
    The Crown is faster
    The first time you ride a Crown, it's complexity is completely overshadowed by its performance.
    The Elka is retarded, I have tried, very, very hard to overwhelm it in the rock gardens, not happening, tire is planted at all times.
    I rode this thing 45 min uphill twice in the last week
    She weighs in a 40.27 lbs at the moment with 2.5 DH tires, uncut seatpost, heavy pedals, steel spring, and a few other portly odds and ends.
    I could have it at 38lbs and still able to handle hardcore FR easily.
    I am in love, we are engaged, sending out wedding invites soon...
    I just want to say I have rode with this guy and he slays it.....a good respected opinion by a really good rider
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Members who have read this thread: 0