Want to get back into MtBiking- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Want to get back into MtBiking

Looking to get back into Mountain biking. I have been out of it for about 10 years. The last time I rode hard I did a downhill race on my 95 Cannondale Killer V 900. Took up dirt biking and have been racing XC Motorcycle races.

Anyway I still have my 95 Cannondale hard tail for tooling around and riding hills. I Think I want a freeride style bike with big suspension. But it must have some ability to hit the trails/climb.

Having a hard time finding anything I like that doesn't cost as much as a motorcycle.

I'm 6'6" 230lbs.
    Bikes I like so far but seem totally outrageous in price.

Intense 6.6
    Santa Cruze Nomad.
    Yeti 575 (Is this more of a XC bike than a freeride?)

I was looking to spend 3,000ish max and thats pushing it.

Is there much of a used market? I have not been able to find much of anything on craigslist.

thanks for any help, or suggestions for some other do it all bikes I'm missing. (No Kona's please)

mtbr member
    The Intense 6.6 and Nomad seem to be what you're looking for, but you are paying a lot for the name with them. I wouldn't try any big stunts on a 575 (I have one). With Yeti look for a used lightweight build of an AS-X (mid 30's) and it would be what you're looking for.

You may want to take a look at the Iron Horse 6Point series. Similar to 6.6 and Nomad, but a lot cheaper.

http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id....category=18126

Also take a look at Specialized SX Trail, maybe you can get a 2008 model on sale, or find a used one.
    http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=33427

The best places to look for used Freeride type bikes would be on ridemonkey.com and pinkbike.com

i eat rocks
    haha, i started out riding motocross, then switched over to racing Downhill.

I havent touch my 07 ktm 450 for about three months. (pathetic)

but yes for a similar use bike to what your saying the 6 point from iron horse is that... but im not sure if i like it as much as the yeti. (Im just not a fan of how it rides)

but some people love that bike, its all personal preference. whats right for some people might be completely wrong for you, and vice versa.

mtbr member
    hey there, well its a good thing your getting back into the biking now because the industry has obviously grown and there are many options for you. now it seems like your looking for a freeride bike with climbing capabilities... because of this you may way to look at all mountian bikes, im sure you can get a full on freeride machine which climbs well.. but they tend to be more expensive. so i have two recommendations... the first is the iron horse 6 point 6... i've ridden this bike at my local trails and it holds up very well and climbs like a champion... and at around 2,500 it will save you some cash. my next suggestion is to look into the brand transition... they offer cheap yet fairly good bikes (the geo could be better). you may want to look at the Preston FR (five inches of travel) or their freeride bike, the dirt bag (7").
    hope this helps, if you need more information just ask
    gunther

mtbr member
    Haha I have 3 KTM's. 08 250XC, 07 450 EXC (supermoto'd out). 06 450SX -> Selling it to get a Mt Bike.

Thanks for the tips.
    What about the Giant Reign X1?

I'll go look up transition bikes thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KTMDirtFace
    Haha I have 3 KTM's. 08 250XC, 07 450 EXC (supermoto'd out). 06 450SX -> Selling it to get a Mt Bike.

Thanks for the tips.
    What about the Giant Reign X1?

I'll go look up transition bikes thanks.
    the giant reign x would be a great option... i've talked to many people who have them and they say it handles anything they throw at it, the head mechanic at my shop has one and loves it... all though the iron horse 6 point and the reign x have the same (practically) suspension system... so they are very similar bikes... which ever is cheapest perhaps you should pick... but its up to you...

i eat rocks
    also check out the bionicons...

heres one i found on craigs

they are sweet, check out the reviews

climb really good, and descend even better...

im getting the golden willow off my buddy who got a sweet deal on it, but it was the wrong size for him. thats going to be my cross country bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I 2nd the vote for SX Trail. Now is the time to get deals on 08s, you can certainly squeeze one out of a LBS for under $3k.

maker of trail
    The norco shores and six's are pretty sweet, and can be had a fairly decent prices too.

http://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain/.../shore_two.php

http://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain/...te/six_two.php

StraightOuttaCompton
    if you contact ryandaughtery on here he has an AS-X for sale
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    transition, transition, transition

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Djponee
    if you contact ryandaughtery on here he has an AS-X for sale
    yeah the asx's are very good bikes and im pretty sure they were just put out of production in place of the seven.. so you'll be able to find them cheap, used and new

Mountain Biker
    Be at the Rio on June 12th at 7:00pm!

Premier of Sonar!

mtbr member
    Thanks a ton for those links. That helps a lot! (Exept I'm to big for all of them )

Seattle is 6 hour drive from bend.
    Last edited by KTMDirtFace; 08-08-2008 at 03:23 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0