Want to freerife but ain't got the bike for it :(- Mtbr.com
    Me hates pinchflat

Want to freeride but ain't got the bike for it :(

This is my situation; I want to freeride/DH so badly, but I aint got the bike for it. Im also on a budget. I usually do AM with some small jumps and drops (3-4 foot max). I want to go bigger, but I feel that my bike is restraining me. I really want a bike which can hold up to what I throw at it. I know that Im not that good , but if I had a bike which gave me the confidence for larger jumps, I would get better. I also want to keep doing AM stuff. I have a giant rincon all stock except Easton bars and a Zokey MX comp up front. My dream is buying a used FS, but they are a lot more expensive that HT. Plus since I live in Mexico it is harder to get used stuff here.
    I could do many things to solve this. I could go a bit bigger with my current bike since im very light (about 100 pounds) but if I broke something important, I would be screwed. I would have to spend money I could have spent on a new bike. I could also buy a new frame but Im not sure if my fork would stand such abuse, AND I still want to do some AM, something I don't think would be possible with a DJ frame. The last option would be saving for a cheap DJ bike (Giant STP or such?)
    I am just considering a DJ bike since FS freeride bikes are too expensive. I would freeride with the DJ bike until I could save up enough cash for a FS. Another question I have is, are DJ bikes ok for DH and FR? I am asking this because DH is what there is most where I live. There are very few places where you can actually DJ.
    Sorry if my post was confusing or unclear. I just want to know what you guys think about my current situation.
    Thanks
    Last edited by 545cu4ch; 01-22-2006 at 01:07 PM.

abolisher of A$$holes
    I suggest you move to the USA, where our pay scale is much better...

seriously though...I would say hit it as hard as you can on your bike 'til it breaks...and in life, if you're a decent person, it seems as though some opportunity will come up when that happens...until then...start earning extra money wherever possible and save for when you have enough for a new bike, or the time comes for new parts on the old one...good luck...

mtbr member
    in your situation, just work hard and extra to save up for a FS rig. ride your giant until you get enough to by the other bike. the 06 kona stinky is pretty reasonable. look into that

mtbr member
    You could get a used Big Hit or Kona Stinky. They usually go for pretty cheap on ebay, I think thats what I am going to do. And maybe get a paper route or something to help pay for stuff.

mtbr member
    buy a dj hardtail. cheaper, can get one new and you can still beat the $h!t out of it. I'm 125 lbs and ride a kona stuff and i've done 8 ft drop, 5 ft to flat on it. you CAN do AM on a dj bike, brobably better than a 50 lbs dh/ fr bike. and you know what else you can do on a dj bike....... dirt jump! and urban asault. A dirt jumper is probably the most versatile bike you get. soooo many options too that are affordable. pick up a mountain bike buyers guide(its that time of year when they start coming out) i personally like the MountainBikeAction mags the best for buyers guides. if you really want a fully, look into a used norco 4by. I dont think you shpuld get a big freeride bike. takes away alot of your options especially if your doin stuff a hardtail can handle.

Me hates pinchflat
    I think I will buy a dj hardtail or a fs if I get a very good deal. When I HAVE tha money that is. I would prefer not to break my current bike, since I also like to do AM. Oh and do you guys know how much does it cost to bring a complete bike across the boarder. I am asking this because I have a cousin living in Savannah (Georgia). If I wanted a used bike I could make it get to him, but I don't know what I would have to do next. I saw a P2 on the classfields for $550, for example.
    Oh and sorry for putting freerife on the title I tried to edit it but it doesn't go away.
    Thanks a lot for the advice

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Hardtails can take a hell of the lot of **** and they teach you how to ride well.. and they pedal well too, it all depends on the tracks you are riding, rocky tracks definitly suit a fully better but I have riden everything on my hardtail, if i were going for a fully perhaps a giant faith, giant ac, kona stinky, ironhorse. Basicly you can either get a **** fully or a nice hardtail.

Me hates pinchflat
    The trails I ride are very rocky and rooty, obviously a FS is better. However I have ridden these trails for 6 months (hiking some sections) with my current bike.
    If I were to buy a hardtail, which would you recommend? Remember I am on a budget, so I don't mind if its not fancy, I just want it to hold up.

banned
    I put up with the wrong bike for the job. Snapped the frame by the disc mount.

Oh well..

mtbr member
    what is your budget?

Me hates pinchflat
    Quote Originally Posted by cummings
    what is your budget?
    I don't know. About 500 or 600 bucks. I could maybe stretch it a bit more if necessary. Im 15 and broke.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    if its a hardtail the main things to consider are brakes and forks, the giant stp are something to look at. You could get something 2ndhand that is old but still good, ie old giant dh comp. Good brakes...hopes, avids, shitmano and good forks would be hscv/tcp+/fox/motion control. See if you can find an stp zero, i don;t know the us market price but they are a good bike apaprt from the rims.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    You may not be interested, but I am about to post my Gemini. It is a Large, polished frame, Sherman Breakout, Hayes w/ 8' rotors, vanilla RC, etc, etc.The bike is in excellent shape and has seen no hard use. It will do everything you want and more. -$800 + shipping.

Portland, OR
    are you kidding ? I ride AM all the time with my P.2. A dj bike can handle anything from XC to downhill. for the 4-5 hundred range, pick up a haro zero, but look around. I was able to pick up a P.1 cr-mo for 500 bucks new.
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

not really a noob
    then buy a freeride bike
    I HATE WORK, WORK IS BAD, WORK = NO BIKE, NO BIKE = NO GOOD

Me hates pinchflat
    Quote Originally Posted by hardcore newbie
    then buy a freeride bike
    genious!...

mtbr member
    maybe a Kona Shred.

notabouttoseeyourlight
    Freerifing is overrated anyway.
    cycle tracks will abound in utopia.

Me hates pinchflat
    Quote Originally Posted by cummings
    maybe a Kona Shred.
    Something like this?? http://cgi.ebay.com/2005-KONA-SHRED-...QQcmdZViewItem

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 545cu4ch
    That ones nice. I'd still look around though too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 545cu4ch
    Get a Specialized P1.

Me hates pinchflat
    or is this a better deal?? http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin/...uery=retrieval
    is the extra 150 bucks worth it?
    Thanks a lot for the advice BTW

Me hates pinchflat
    Why, isnt the p.2 better?
    How about this?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Kona-stuff-used-...QQcmdZViewItem

Members who have read this thread: 0