VP-Free Roller!- Mtbr.com

Thread: VP-Free Roller!

Fartographer

VP-Free Roller!

I got me a roller! Ain't she purrrty!!?

Having some trouble with the MRP System 3. The anti-friction plates are hitting the chainring when I try to put the crank on. Not sure what to do. Anyone here install an MSRP System 3 yet?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John

Having some trouble with the MRP System 3. The anti-friction plates are hitting the chainring when I try to put the crank on. Not sure what to do. Anyone here install an MSRP System 3 yet?
    I was reading in mb action and when they were testing the vp free they had to grind down the inside of the chainrings to make them fit.

surf-ride-repeat
    She is purdy, John!

Looks like she's gonna be sub 35 pds and a ripper.

Former Noob Herder
    dude, your missing a crankset.....

the cardinal rule of chainguide installations; if it dont fit, grind the thing thats not fitting. As long as its not a chainstay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    dude, your missing a crankset.....

the cardinal rule of chainguide installations; if it dont fit, grind the thing thats not fitting. As long as its not a chainstay.
    Agreed on the grinding.

She's one fine machine John.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Fartographer

Confirmation

Quote Originally Posted by NorcoRider
    I was reading in mb action and when they were testing the vp free they had to grind down the inside of the chainrings to make them fit.
    I just got confirmation on the need for some customization - errr - grinding. It seems that SC specs a 128 bb for this bike, which gives it a wacky chain line. So I was given a 118 bb, which causes more problems with the chain guide. Now I'm not sure what to do. Grinding looks like it won't be such an easy solution. I think I'm going to try to track down andther bb. One way or another I've got to get this thing done because I'm leaving for Moab and Fruita in one week.

banned
    ooga nooga, that's purty John.

one of my friends just ordered one in that Slate color. looks very cool in your pic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

No answers...

Sorry, I don't actually have any answers for your question, but I do have a question for you. I was wondering what the head angle is like with the 36, or other six inch travel forks for that matter. If I could build any bike, it would probably end up looking just like yours, its a beauty. I'd love to hear a review of how it rides with this setup once you get all the kinks worked out.

Former Noob Herder
    I just got confirmation on the need for some customization - errr - grinding. It seems that SC specs a 128 bb for this bike, which gives it a wacky chain line. So I was given a 118 bb, which causes more problems with the chain guide. Now I'm not sure what to do. Grinding looks like it won't be such an easy solution. I think I'm going to try to track down andther bb. One way or another I've got to get this thing done because I'm leaving for Moab and Fruita in one week.
    a 128mm spindle should give it the correct chainline seeing as it has a 150mm hub (ie. equivalent to a 113mm spindle w/135mm hub). Since it uses a 73mm shell, i think only truvative makes a 73/128mm size (and make sure it's an e-type).

the cranks may not even clear with a 118mm spindle anyways.

mtbr member

Might also wanna get some bar plugs.....

Real nice looking ride there. Sure looks good with that fork!

Fartographer

Head Angle

It's got a shorter eye-to-eye shock (8.5 inch) in the rear, in order to keep the head angle the same as it would be with an 8-inch fork.

rider

Whats the AtoC height on the 36?
    "who vants a mustache ride?"

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Could you explain alittle more

It's got a shorter eye-to-eye shock (8.5 inch) in the rear, in order to keep the head angle the same as it would be with an 8-inch fork.
    I'm sorry, I'm not very experience with these things or the options for setting up VP Frees. So, you have a shorter eye-to-eye shock but still get the 8.5 " of travel? Also, how does the shorter eye-to-eye shock affect the head angle? Is the ability to alter the head angle like this a new feature for the VP Free? It seems like I've read several comments about how the head angle for the bike is just not "right" with a fork shorter than 7". I'm sure these are pretty basic concepts but I'm new to this stuff. Thanks for the help.

Fartographer

Less Travel

You've got it right. When I change the shock stroke, the travel changes. The rear shock now has 7 inches of travel instead of 8. I don't need 8 inches of travel for this bike, right now. I still have the stock DHX shock and when the time comes I'll get a bigger fork set up the bike for bigger stuff. This is going to be my XC bike.

TT.
    wheeler
    Feb 2004
    was wonderin' what you were going to replace the Dare with
    wicked set up... just built one up for a buddy..black ano, whadda sexy frame
    I Ride, I Know

Xtremely Moderate
    Beauty................but I still hate that Fox 36 doo doo brown.

I think you've got a good idea with that shorter DHX.

I'd like to do the same thing except w/ my Super T instead.
    Not enough gravity down here for full time 8.5" of travel.

Give us a review after your trip.
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Quote Originally Posted by e<i>o
    Beauty................but I still hate that Fox 36 doo doo brown.

I think you've got a good idea with that shorter DHX.

I'd like to do the same thing except w/ my Super T instead.
    Not enough gravity down here for full time 8.5" of travel.

Give us a review after your trip.
    Your super t has 8.5" travel?
    JackNugz

no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

Xtremely Moderate
    Quote Originally Posted by konabiker
    Your super t has 8.5" travel?
    Nugzhead .

What PJ did w/ the shorter DHX, but w/ a Super T instead of the 36.........7&7........hmm.....that reminds me......I need a drink.
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Wow!!!

You've got it right. When I change the shock stroke, the travel changes. The rear shock now has 7 inches of travel instead of 8. I don't need 8 inches of travel for this bike, right now. I still have the stock DHX shock and when the time comes I'll get a bigger fork set up the bike for bigger stuff. This is going to be my XC bike.
    That is without a doubt the sickest XC bike I have ever seen! That is the exact bike of my dreams. I don't mean to pry, but do you mind telling us how much your bike will end up costing so I can know how much I need to save. Please post some final pictures of your build. Thanks.
    Last edited by fletcherbr; 04-24-2005 at 07:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    7" seems like a a bit of an underestamation. assuming that the 8.5 i2i dhx has a 2.5" stroke... the travel should be about 7.7" (maybe i didn't read close enough and it's a 2.25", so then it would be about 6.9")

215mm divided 25.4mm/inch, then divide by 2.75" and multiply by 2.5" = 7.695"

anyways, looks like a fun xc bike. post some pics when it's all built

mtbr member
    That thing is purdy
    Quote Originally Posted by Stinky05rider
    bmx is not dh/freeride....tight jeans are for girls

Fartographer

Stroke

I'm not sure about the math for figuring out the travel. But I measured the stroke and it looks to be about 2 3/8".

Former Noob Herder
    I'm not sure about the math for figuring out the travel. But I measured the stroke and it looks to be about 2 3/8".
    sooo....come to your senses about the proper spindle length?

Fartographer

Yeah

sooo....come to your senses about the proper spindle length?
    I tried all day to track one down but no one had one. Someone is bringing me one tomorrow, though. It's the simple solution. However, I can see why the guys are using a 118 bb. The chainline with that bb looks perfect. Even if 128 seems right, it's going to make a chainline that favors the small end of the cogset. I assume it's probably a good compromise for a three ring drivetrain.

But I need to get this thing up and running - now. I can worry about the best solution later.

Former Noob Herder
    Even if 128 seems right, it's going to make a chainline that favors the small end of the cogset. I assume it's probably a good compromise for a three ring drivetrain.
    its about dead center i believe with a 150mm hub

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    don't forget about the top out bumper... so it's probably a 2.5". assuming that SC isn't lying about the 215mm travel on the frame, the math should be right.

only yeti with dh skills

please

hey...where s the pope?...naa...just wanted to ask u for a pic of the linkage behind the bb...i see it has some kind of plate coming out of it?...does it keeps dust out from the bearings?...thanx
    Supported by: www.biroma.ch
    Food: Tuna Salad and Lasagna
    Hate: Winter, Zürich's City Council, Zürich's Old People, Winter...Specially Zürich's Winter, Zürich's Prices
    Love: Zürich B-itches

Rides like wrecking ball
    PJ- I think the idea of a shorter i2i shock is great, except that you're riding a VPP bike. Don't they have a pretty particular sag position requirement to make them pedal well? If so, you'd have to set up the shorter shock to ride higher in it's travel and thus not change the handling at all. The only difference would be for photos when the bike is unsagged. That's my take. I'm sure the DHX can help a lot with you riding the bike sagged to the wrong position though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

Team Sanchez
    Actually John, If you want to save yourself a good 100 grams over the Truvative BB, FSA also makes a 73 X 128mm BB. I am currently running one on my free, with no problems. It isn't nearly as beefy as the Truvativ, but it is just as smooth. I'm sure the thing won't last more than 6 months of hard riding, but I've got 2 months on it so far, and no probs. Costs a little less than the Truvativ too. You should be able to order it from QBP.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

Team Sanchez
    John,

Another advantage of running the 128 mm BB is that you get a little more tire clearance. It pushes the chainline out just a bit more, without having to worry about the chain rubbing on fatter tires, in the lower gears.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

STP
    mtbr member
    Damn John that thing looks sweet. Nice set up w/ the shorter shock & 36 fork. You lucky bastard!

Glad to Be Alive
    nice......
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

The VPP's are designed to do different things at different points in the travel.
    I have a V-10, and although it pedals very well, it only does so in certain parts of the travel. Are you at all worried that by putting on a shorter shock, the bike will be at a different point in the travel curve under regular sag?
    By having your regular "sag" spot at a differnt point on the curve, you might negate a lot of the VPP pedaling benefits.

Fartographer

Not Worried

Quote Originally Posted by -bb-
    The VPP's are designed to do different things at different points in the travel... By having your regular "sag" spot at a differnt point on the curve, you might negate a lot of the VPP pedaling benefits.
    Not worried. Most of the WTB team guys have this same bike and they all love it. They're all stronger and more skilled than me. No matter what, it's gonna be a better bike than I am a rider.