VP Components Pedals?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

VP Components Pedals?

Does anyone have any firsthand expereince with the VP Component Pedals found here: http://www.vpcomponents.com/pedals_s...cat2=3&pid=228. They look like they are pretty solid.

Any information would be appreciated. They look to be completely flat. What are the advantages of the concave pedals that seem to be popular now? The Kona Wah Wahs also seem to be flat. The pedal would be for my wife...she liked the Wah Wahs on some konas she rented.

I am currently riding some Azonic magnesium platforms from a while back. No issues with them, but I don't even know if they are flat or concave

Also, most riding will be on predominantly smooth flow/jump lines For Colorado Folks, think rainmaker, no qaurter, shy anne.

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    FYI: according to their website those are BMX pedals and likely wouldn't fit a mountain bike crank.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by NorKal
    FYI: according to their website those are BMX pedals and likely wouldn't fit a mountain bike crank.
    As long as they are 9/16 they will be fine.

Stand back
    The only bmx pedals that won't fit a mtb are for once piece cranks.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    The only bmx pedals that won't fit a mtb are for once piece cranks.
    Correct, those pedals have a 1/2" spindle.

Do you guys see anyting about tese pedals that would make them a bad choice?

meow meow
    as long as they are a 9/16 spinndle they should be fine. though i believe your pedals now are concave and those are flat, might take a little getting used to.

Vampire sucking fork oil.
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TCR1
    Does anyone have any firsthand expereince with the VP Component Pedals found here: http://www.vpcomponents.com/pedals_s...cat2=3&pid=228. They look like they are pretty solid.

Any information would be appreciated. They look to be completely flat. What are the advantages of the concave pedals that seem to be popular now? The Kona Wah Wahs also seem to be flat. The pedal would be for my wife...she liked the Wah Wahs on some konas she rented.

I am currently riding some Azonic magnesium platforms from a while back. No issues with them, but I don't even know if they are flat or concave

Also, most riding will be on predominantly smooth flow/jump lines For Colorado Folks, think rainmaker, no qaurter, shy anne.
    I had some of these only a couple of weeks:
    - great grip (they are ok with the FLAT platform- personally I prefer the flat ones- you can control your legs better ), lightweight, great look (especially gold ones), BUT:
    - the platform is way too small (i used them for downhill: NOT suitable- I guess they are ok only for XC) and due to the fact that the axle is short, the exterior side bends easily (i've crashed on my left one and bend it so easily that i would not believe it ). So the aluminium used for the platform is a little too soft for hard use. Hope this will helps you...

Slopestyle Rider
    I've run that exact pedal for an entire season (I'm 5'11 and 210lbs) and have had zero issues. I run them at Trestle btw. I rode Crankworx Colorado slopestyle on them too, so I hit big stuff...

killin clear creek
    Quote Originally Posted by joelalamo45
    I've run that exact pedal for an entire season (I'm 5'11 and 210lbs) and have had zero issues. I run them at Trestle btw. I rode Crankworx Colorado slopestyle on them too, so I hit big stuff...
    TCR don't let him fool you, he's a panzy!!! He stubbed his toe on a mushroom & now he's out for a month...

I checked those out at Crankworx. I also was thinking about getting a pair, they felt pretty beefy & were nice & smooth.
    Quote Originally Posted by thump View Post
    How about we take the "let it burn approach" with the rotting cesspool of the Denver metro?

Slopestyle Rider
    Yeah, I admit it, at 38 I'm getting to be a nancy

Slopestyle Rider
    Correct, those pedals have a 1/2" spindle.

Do you guys see anyting about tese pedals that would make them a bad choice?
    Are you going to be at Trestle this weekend? If so, I'll loan you mine and you can get a legit test run. (I'm hurt, so no riding for me). PM me if you wanna check them out...

*full disclosure, I'm sponsored by VP. I'd be interested (and so would the VP rep) in hearing a non-biased review.

Joel

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by Smirnof
    I had some of these only a couple of weeks:
    - great grip (they are ok with the FLAT platform- personally I prefer the flat ones- you can control your legs better ), lightweight, great look (especially gold ones), BUT:
    - the platform is way too small (i used them for downhill: NOT suitable- I guess they are ok only for XC) and due to the fact that the axle is short, the exterior side bends easily (i've crashed on my left one and bend it so easily that i would not believe it ). So the aluminium used for the platform is a little too soft for hard use. Hope this will helps you...

Which pedals are you talking about? The VP's aren't available yet, are they?
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Highly doubtful on Trestle this weekend. I've ridden it a couple of times with Backcountry. Good fun. The pedals would be for my wife (still waiting on that deal from chainlove to pop), but I think the fact that you have ridden them a good bit speaks volumes. They are pretty inexpensive too. I'm gonna send you a pm.

Vampire sucking fork oil.
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    Which pedals are you talking about? The VP's aren't available yet, are they?
    Those gold VP's 001 are available since winter (here in Romania)- in spring I tried them. I don't know since they came on the market. So it's quite a long time,maybe a year. Search on Googl "VP Components 001"pedals

Now with More Wood
    She liked the Wah-wah's - she GETS the Wah-wah's. Or is she not a normal woman?

PS. Very happy with the Wah-wah's. Thin, grippy, solid...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman2058

She doesn't know they were Wah Wahs

Would you conside the wah wah a concave pedal? Seems like the spindle housing is level with the leading and trailing body frame, so they would behave as a flat.
    Also, the reason I asked about the VP Components is that I first found them on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VP-SUPERLITE-DOW...item43a18aca3c

Seems like a decent price if it is a high quality piece. There were also these, which I wasn't sure about

http://cgi.ebay.com/VP-55-DOWNHILL-F...item43a02c9f48

I'm sure my wife would love purple in place of the gold.

Now with More Wood
    She doesn't know they were Wah Wahs

Would you conside the wah wah a concave pedal? Seems like the spindle housing is level with the leading and trailing body frame, so they would behave as a flat.
    Ah yes - that's how I hide half of my smaller MTB purchases - "no honey, I got these AT LEAST 6 months ago, you don't remember, that's all..."

Yes, the Wah-wah's are concave - there's about 2mm in it or so (i.e. the pins in the middle are about 2mm from touching a flat surface if you lay the whole pedal on it). You don't feel the spindle - the pins in the middle keep your foot off it. It's not much, but I think it works well. BTW, lots of other brands use this very same pedal body (made by the same sub-contractor), just with some variance in pin placement, and some esthetic machining differences. Deity comes to mind...I know there are others as well. Maybe you can score a good deal on one of them...

mtbr member
    Other than ebay where the hell can you buy these VP pedals?
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman2058

Ended up buying a Norco Vixa at Treste Bike shop (Winter Park) this weekend that came with a new set of Wah Wahs on it for my wife.

Looking forward to riding some at the local bike park, BMX track and skatepark to get her really comfortable for next year. So pedal journey has come to an end.

Members who have read this thread: 0