Voltage VS Quake- Mtbr.com
    Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004

Voltage VS Quake

Found a deal on both, but the Quake is still nearly $800 cheaper at $1320.

I don't plan to ride full downhill, but a mix of a FR and stunts/jumps, and some urban assault type junk.

Which to save pennies for?

mtbr member
    I haven't been on the Volt..no feedback. Knowing Marins well, l can say this --

* the Quake climbs REALLY well.
    * rides like an XC/AM bike (aka doesn't feel like a slug unlike some/many other FR bikes when you're just trying to pedal arounnd).
    * The Quake isn't a DH bike (stock) but, if you put a fork like a Boxxer on it, you have a totally worthy downhill bike.
    Pedalshop.com also on Facebook
    Marin - Transition - Santa Cruz - Cove...

mtbr member
    Hav'nt rode a Voltage, but ive rode/owned quite a few 7"-ish travel bikes and the quake has to be up there with the best, its just one of those bikes that turned out right, very stable but still flickable and with the sort of rear suspension you just forget about as it goes about its business with no odd quirks, its not all mountain light, (imho the very light long travel bikes coming out recently are horribly skittish and nervous) but its also not as heavy as it looks.
    It hits the sweet spot

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Just got my Quake recently(from Pedal Shop), and I love the thing! I've had it at Diablo a few times, and it just plain rocks. I'm new to FR/DH, so I'm not sure how exactly to give a good review...

I can't notice any pedal bob from the frame at all, the fork yeah, but not the frame, I even had someone else pedal around on it and still couldn't. It corners well, lands confidently, and can really lay the power down when needed. It feels like a really playful bike, and I'm sure that as my skill level improves so will my enjoyment.

I've been to the local XC trails, and that's even fun. Sure my friend beats me in the climbs with his rigid most of the time, but when the trail points down, it's worth it.

Urban assault was also part of my criteria when I was looking for a bike. I've played around a bit, not much yet, but now that Diablo only has one day left until May, Urban's gonna get bumped up on my priority list.

Here's mine at the top of the lifts at Diablo

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The Quake has been haunting my decision. I thought i had narrowed it down to SX Trail 2 and the Knolly Delirium but the very little i have heard about the Quake has all been the same, Great bike, pedals unbelievably, handles great and rides awesome. Is this just one of those bikes not many people have? From what i have heard it sounds like its the best bike in its class....am i missing something? How does this bike compare to the SX and Delirium?

PS sorry to unload on your thread PPPbody, i just got excited...lol

killin clear creek
    Bought a couple voltages this summer, can't say enough good about that bike.

Pedals very well for the kind of bike it is, and very stiff & durable build.

My buddy's fr10 is 37.5 with a boxxer coil & nothing special done to it, a pretty reasonable weight far as I'm concerned for a strong bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by thump View Post
    How about we take the "let it burn approach" with the rotting cesspool of the Denver metro?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The Scott 11 team uses the Voltage for World cups if that tells you anything. Granted its the women that ride them, but I think most of us wish we were as fast as they are! I've ridden the Voltage and its a great all-around bike. Light, pedals great, and you have more geometry options than you would ever use.

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    I like the geometry options on the voltage. The Marin will always be one travel length.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    You can drop the Voltage down to 150mm, throw on a single crown,and have a great trail bike. Flip the mount, 180mm single crown, instant FR bike. Longer shock, Boxxer or 40, DH bike. You get the idea. Just so many options on the Scott, one bike you can just swap forks and Rip!!!. Not knockin the Marin, they are great bikes but not so many options. Really cant go wrong either way!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    voltage is the best value for money bike out now, considering its so versatile.

i know 3 ppl who ride them, 2 of them as full on DH, and 1 uses it for anything, including slopestyle,

they are easy to set up, and i dont know about the US, but they are all over euroland simply cos nothing comes close in value and style

in regards to the marin, no personal experience so cant really comment on that, but never saw a negative comment on those

tough choice i would say..

meow meow
    i give a slight advantage to the scott based on how versitile it is but you cant go wrong with either.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The quake doesn't bob, so there's no reason why you'd even want to lower the rear travel for trails.

Here's a video I found when I was first looking at the bike, showing the suspension in action.
    <object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UtEztTroPjY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UtEztTroPjY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

And here's one of some guy in Germany flat out ripping on one.
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_owU_Ysv2-w?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_owU_Ysv2-w?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I don't know anything about the Scott, and I can't say anything about it positive or negative other than that it must be a pretty good bike if so many people like it, but I would go with the Quake, and use the savings to buy a season pass at the nearest park.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by meSSican
    The Quake has been haunting my decision. I thought i had narrowed it down to SX Trail 2 and the Knolly Delirium but the very little i have heard about the Quake has all been the same, Great bike, pedals unbelievably, handles great and rides awesome. Is this just one of those bikes not many people have? From what i have heard it sounds like its the best bike in its class....am i missing something? How does this bike compare to the SX and Delirium?

PS sorry to unload on your thread PPPbody, i just got excited...lol
    It was the same for me. First it was gonna be a Stinky, then a Bullet, then a Stab. The whole time the Quake was in the back of my mind... I almost put money down on the Stab actually, non-refundable money.

I'm glad that I decided on the Quake!

Also, you might not care, but it seems to be different than what everyone else is doing, and I like that. In my four trips to Diablo, I've seen lots of Giant, Trek, Specialized, Kona, even a few Morewoods, but no Marin's. Again, you might not care, but I've always done things a bit differently than everyone else.

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    I've got a Marin, but its 1990 Team version. I don't need one to be different.

Usually the shorter travel rear allows for a slightly more nimble geometry. I'd be worried that the Quake would always be slack and DH/FR oriented and suck on dirt jumps and in an urban environment.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Right... Well, the bike certainly feels nimble to me. Good luck with your decision

mtbr member
    The 06-09 Quake has a relatively low bb. has 1.5 headtube (hint: cane creek angle set). The new quake has 64 HA, and easier access to the shock.
    Folangag

mtbr member
    PPPbody... if you want to pull the trigger. let me know asap. already sold 2 more since we first started chatting.

--- m
    Pedalshop.com also on Facebook
    Marin - Transition - Santa Cruz - Cove...

mtbr member
    Hey Outsane, what's your Quake weigh in at? Also, do you know what size the rear shock is (can't find this anywhere)?

I'm considering waiting around to see if any deals spring up on the 2010 Quakes. I've been toying with the idea of building my Santa Cruz Butcher into a serious all mountain machine, but I've been hitting a lot of super steep and technical trails lately. The geometry and slack HA of the Quake seem like they'd be optimal for this. It'd also be my park bike. Have you taken it on any serious 20+ mile XC rides with a good amount of climbing yet? I'm not expecting it to climb like my h/t or Butcher, but I would like to be able to ride to the top of the mountain to tackle some of the more serious trails around here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I don't have a bike scale, so I'm not sure, but my bathroom scale says I'm about 43lbs heavier when holding it(no clue how accurate the scale is). Doesn't really feel like it though.

So far I've only gone 7-8mi at a time, but that's more because of time constraints than anything else. The XC trails I've been on so far have had lots of climbing, and the bike handles it fine.

Sorry, I'm not sure what the shock length is. Pedal Shop probably knows though.

mtbr member
    Waiting for Pedal Shop to get back to me. Looks like I may have a new Quake shipping to Marin County in the very near future.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Haus Boss
    Waiting for Pedal Shop to get back to me. Looks like I may have a new Quake shipping to Marin County in the very near future.
    Nice, you're gonna love it!

mtbr member
    Just got off the phone with Mike (Pedal Shop). Just sent over my payment for a 2009 Quake 7.9. Can't wait to drag it up the mountain!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Here is some video of a guy rippin on a Voltage!http://www.vitalmtb.com/videos/membe...mpaign=fanpage

Members who have read this thread: 0