Voltage FR or....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Voltage FR or....

Yet another "what bike should I buy" thread

I currently am on a 08 Nomad set up with a totem up front. I'm feeling that I am starting to push the limits of the bike, and rather than breaking it(and myself) i figure I should suck it up and get something a bit more aggressive. Like most, money is an issue.

for the people local to me (north vancouver) i tend to ride Cypress, SSC(sunshine coast), a couple days at WBP and SilverStar. I love the trails in Squamish and on the SSC. I tend to do less jumping(if any) and more of the steep and techy riding.

Here's what I'm thinking:

Voltage FR 30($2100 CAD)
    -> put the totem on
    -> upgrade the rear shock(so that I get the 180mm of travel)
    -> sell the domain

Voltage FR 20 ($2600? CAD)
    ->put the totem on
    ->sell the domain

buy something used?

save more money and get a full on DH bike (gambler?)

I will be putting my Nomad back to it's all-mountain roots once I pick up the new ride...

any advice would be great!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    They are exactly the same bike besides the rear shock, cranks, and hubs. That said, if your throwing your totem on and selling the domain, you could probably use that cash towards a better shock, and up the wheels and cranks down the road...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Just remember you have to change the shock mounts on the 30 if you're gonna run 9.5x3".

Glad to Be Alive
    buy used....maybe look into an old Intense SoCom,/Uzzi or SC VpFree
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    thanks for the tips guys. I ended up with a wicked deal on an 09 Norco Shore. I took it out for a quick lap today to discover that it is in fact too small for me. I figured I could get away with a medium, but apparently my back things otherwise.

I'm giving some serious thought to taking parts of the shore and putting them onto the Voltage, and making a wicked little bike, then building up the shore with the bits that don't fit/are unwanted and selling as a complete bike.

Going into the shop tomorrow (hopefully) to see if they can help me make the best choice...

It would be so much nicer if money trees actually grew money, and didn't just bring good luck

Members who have read this thread: 0