Vancouver Island help- Mtbr.com
    a'buh?

Vancouver Island help

I'm going to Seattle and then Vancouver Island, and, being from NC, I have no idea where good riding spots are. I heard from friends about a good place near Seattle, but am wondering about where would be a good place on Van. Island.
    I would be looking for beginner to intermediate stunts (don't really know what that entails in Canada...15' drops to skinnies ) And some halfway decent trails to keep my less extremely-inclined Dad busy . Anyway, any info would be appreciated, and the quicker the better, seeing as I'm leaving tomorrow evening.

Thanks a bunch.
    "Don't just huck yourself: be skilled, be trained, be ready, be prepared, then give 'er." -Dylan Tremblay

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingwalrus
    I'm going to Seattle and then Vancouver Island, and, being from NC, I have no idea where good riding spots are. I heard from friends about a good place near Seattle, but am wondering about where would be a good place on Van. Island.
    I would be looking for beginner to intermediate stunts (don't really know what that entails in Canada...15' drops to skinnies ) And some halfway decent trails to keep my less extremely-inclined Dad busy . Anyway, any info would be appreciated, and the quicker the better, seeing as I'm leaving tomorrow evening.

Thanks a bunch.
    Vancouver Island is a big place. 280 miles long, covering over 12,000 square miles with over 750,000 people in many cities and towns. Let us know where you're going and we might be able to help you out.

Last edited by davet; 07-16-2004 at 11:32 PM.

a'buh?
    sorry-we're going to the southwest part of the island, and we're staying fairly close to the ocean. My mom says we're going to be near some town called Sooke anyway-thanks
    "Don't just huck yourself: be skilled, be trained, be ready, be prepared, then give 'er." -Dylan Tremblay

a'buh?
    wow, I don't know how I missed that on the map anyway, yeah, I see Sooke now, we're gonna be near there

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've heard there's some good areas in or near Sooke but I've never been. Try over at NSMB.com, some of the Sooke trail builders used to hang out there. If all else fails just go to a LBS when you get there and ask.

mtbr member
    Go to simbs.com (South Island Mountainbike Society). There is a listing on where to ride on the south part of the island, as well as a discussion forum.

If in Victoria, you will want to ride 'The Dump'0. It is a designated mountainbike park with beginner to advanced trails, with some stunts (mostly natural -log rides, rock drops, steeps). Any bike shop will have a map. I think they are $4.00. In the Sooke area, there is Broomhill, which is really starting to develop a trail system. Go to Sooke Cycle and Surf??? and talk to Lorien, he will set you up.

a'buh?
    okay...so I went to simbs.com and found this trail called Broom Hill that is really close to Sooke, and it says it has some stunts and jumps for all skill levels. This sounds perfect. Does anyone have any more info. on these trails? Anything would be appreciated.

Also, I will need to rent a bike up there, (my parents don't want to deal with mine getting flown out there,) does anyone know of a good shop that has some decent rental bikes that could handle some light freeriding?

mtbr member
    Check Cycle BC Rentals (downtown victoria) . I think they have Norco Atomiks for rent, which are decent full suspension bikes. I haven't ridden at Broomhill, but if you get a chance you should ride The Dump. Trails are rated on the map like ski hills, green to double black diamond. It is only about 1/2 hour drive from Sooke.