v10 vs m6 which one???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

v10 vs m6 which one???

Ok i know you guys hate these thread of which one.. but i need help. please i did the search and did not find the info i was looking for..

i currently ride a sunday which i ride every weekend at the resort parks on the east coast mostly diablo and platty though...i am a big guy weighing in at 250 and for me my sunday is GREAT but its time for a new rig i have owned the sunday for three years now and it is time for a new dh bike...i dont race..i just ride for fun!!!i i perfer the geo of a full on DH bike...
    been looking for a while and i got my eyes set on two bike the M6 and the V10. now heres my dilema...
    i love the geo of the m6 except for two things the low bottom bracket which i am use to riding my sunday so i can deal with it..and the other thing is this FRO thing. i know it means for racing only so does that mean it wouldn't last me a good 3 years of beating the sh!t out of it...should i stay away from this bike because of my weight and the fact that i plan on riding it all the time?

the V10 another rig i love bb is at a good height but what i dont like is the headtube angle. it's not as slack as the m6 or my sunday its at 67 degree...isnt that steep for todays standards in dh rigs? I KNOW THE PROS ALL RIDE THEM, BUT I AM NOT A PRO..is it really something that doesnt matter? i ride my freeride bike and it has a 66 degree HT angle and it feels right for what i do with it but to ride dh on the same HT angle as my AM bike is a little hard to except..i like the slack feel..should i really be concerned with this?
    and how do they get 10 inches of travel from such a small shock??? aren't these two bike similar in design...

let me know what you guys think...whicjh way should i go??? or should i look at something else...i cant really test ride one its difficult..i was on a med m6 set for my weight which felt great but it was a med i need a large rode a v10 a med again and not for my weight but still felt good...

mtbr member
    I know these guys ride for SC but i think rennie gives pretty solid feedback
    http://www.santacruzmtb.com/video/in...=1&vid=v10tips

Premium Member
    For you I would definitely pick the V-10 out of your two options. The FRO label won't do you to well should anything happen to the M6 and the V-10 is more suited to your riding style IMO.

As far as the geometry, the HA is a bit steep since the bike runs so much sag. I would think the M6 would approach too low/slack considering the amount of travel it has, at least for my riding style.

The shock ratio is a bit on the higher end of the spectrum and has its pluses and minuses, but it's not too too high. Although it is a bit harder on the shock, the damping range of a stock shock will be well suited to it (unlike bikes who's leverage ratio is too low so there's too much damping) and spring rate won't be so critical.

P-51 Crew Chief #38
    I own two V-10's currently. The 2006(got it in 05) has seen over 200 days at Northstar. I have never had a single issue with it. It has really taken a beating to say the least. I now have the 08" 10.3 and I suspect that it will also last as long as the first one did.
    Balls to the wall until you see god. Turn Left!

Glad to Be Alive
    both would be great choices....how tall are you???

don't be worried about the FRO..local guys are beating the hell out of them....Intense has a good crash replacement policy if your local dealer isn't trying to scalp you
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    both would be great choices....how tall are you???

don't be worried about the FRO..local guys are beating the hell out of them....Intense has a good crash replacement policy if your local dealer isn't trying to scalp you

I'm 6'1

but are the local guys planning on getting new bikes next season??? that what i find with most guys riding these..they start talking about what new bike for next year...i need somthing that will hold up for two to three years.. how much normally for the crash replacement...and what dont they cover....if you know???

Disco-Superfly
    Keep in mind V10 runs around 100mm of sag, that head angle will slack out in sag. That also means lower BB!
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I have never had a chance to ride am M6 but I own a V10 and LOVE it. It takes a beating and has improved my riding. Buy a V10 you wont regret it!

mtbr member
    if you are tipping the scale at 250 I WOULD NOT buy a V10, there are many people out there that are 50lbs lighter than you that can't find a stiff enough spring.

Buy a M6 you will love it! I have a 2008 M6 and love mine, my buddy has a 2008 V10 and loves my M6 becasue he can't dial in the suspension due to the spring weight.

We both also think the M6 just "feels better" all of the time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boogenman
    if you are tipping the scale at 250 I WOULD NOT buy a V10, there are many people out there that are 50lbs lighter than you that can't find a stiff enough spring.

Buy a M6 you will love it! I have a 2008 M6 and love mine, my buddy has a 2008 V10 and loves my M6 becasue he can't dial in the suspension due to the spring weight.

We both also think the M6 just "feels better" all of the time.
    What he said. The V10 has a very high leverage rate, which sucks for heavier riders since you are stuck with steel coils only (very hard to find a to coil rated over 600) The higher leverage also makes it harder to tune.

The M6 is an excellent bike, you just feel "in" instead of "on" it. low bb, efficient suspension and unnaturally good cornering.
    Intense-Hutchinson-Nema

mtbr member
    found the post over on ridedonkey.

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/sho...ght=v10&page=2

Ricky DH
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan_daugherty
    I know these guys ride for SC but i think rennie gives pretty solid feedback
    http://www.santacruzmtb.com/video/in...=1&vid=v10tips

Wow, great video. Interesting to hear the guys talk about their rides like that.

I'd go for the M6, just a personal prefrence.

EXTREEEEEME KAYAKING!
    definitely M6, I beat the hell out of mine and its still solid, i plan on getting 2 or 3 seasons out of mine just like you and its held up great so far. The hand made quality of intense should also help with the decision

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    they are both amazing bikes.

having riden a v10 for a day and an m6 for a week in whistler, i can safely say i like the m6 waayyyy more. you can whip it around like a dj bike and its amazing in the corners.

plus its made in amerca man

PULL
    Sicklines has a build up of a large, 36 pound, m6. Just pure sexy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Are '08 V10's even readily available yet?

Bike Ninja |||
    Quote Originally Posted by Rover Nick
    Are '08 V10's even readily available yet?

I personally have a small, medium, and large frame for sale... all new.

small is powder white,
    medium is ano blue,
    large is liquid blue p.c.

And i would recommend buying one of my V10s....
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

Rocket Scientist
    I'd personally as well go for the M6. As all the others have said, I ride the crud out of mine and I love it. I'm 215 and change. The bike is super sick. Stable at high speed and corners like mad. Seems to be super stable in the air as well. For some reason I just love to jump this bike. It's worth every cent!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Dirt Mag has made a test between the Trek Session 88 DH, the Orange 224, the Intense M6 and the IH Sunday.
    After one ride they eliminate the IH and the M6 for poor geometry and bad sus. Left with the Orange and the Trek who have near perfect geo, the Orange had Cane creek and Boxxer tuned, the Trek was out of the box with a special DHX tuned for Trek. (which is stock).
    The Trek has no brake bump due to the Active Braking Pivot and is bottomless thanks to its full floater sus.

All this according to steve jones and Dirt mag. Make your choice.

I'm buying the Trek and I'm 220 Lbs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hmm, i think its safe to say that the IH pretty good geo and suspension. True, it doesn't work for certain people's riding style. But it's a proven design and I don't think that you'll find many people who agree the IH is whack.

Petty and weak
    One of my mates writes bike reviews for a leading magazine and he is a rather (very) poor rider. I lost all respect for magazine reviews once he was appointed. The mtb industry is full of bulsh.it. Ride it, like it, buy it. Otherwise take the gamble. Mind you, I bought my 2008 La Bruja on my friends advice and then had to go and buy a bike more suited to my preferences (2005 DHR, all I could afford after buying the Bruja). And I'd love to shove the Ventana sideways up his arse, but, really, I have to take responsibility for the bad choice.
    ~ Downride and Freehill, nothing else ~

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Septentrion
    Dirt Mag has made a test between the Trek Session 88 DH, the Orange 224, the Intense M6 and the IH Sunday.
    After one ride they eliminate the IH and the M6 for poor geometry and bad sus. Left with the Orange and the Trek who have near perfect geo, the Orange had Cane creek and Boxxer tuned, the Trek was out of the box with a special DHX tuned for Trek. (which is stock).
    The Trek has no brake bump due to the Active Braking Pivot and is bottomless thanks to its full floater sus.

I think it is safe to say this is a joke, as DIrt raved about the Sunday, and they are sponsored by Intense and Ride M6 frames themselfs........

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    It's not a joke, it's in the Session 88 test and the rider is steve Jones,

"Steve Jones is one of the most respected reviewers of a bike, he's raced more than most and he knows what it is to ride a bike. He's not a bad writer either. Or photographer.." (fattyre).

IH lost its DW licence and bought ICT from Ellsworth. I believe a new bike will come soon with ICT.

My son has a Demo and it's a wonderful ride, was about to buy one when I read Dirt Mag about the trek. I took the gamble, wait and see...

mtbr member

I sure hope you are making fun here, any published review on anything is pretty much useless info. It is nothing more than a group of asshats expressing their opinion on something or a colaboration of opinions and pockets getting filled with $$$$ from someone.

Maybe I am going on a rant here becasue I deal with idiots day in and day out that actually think they are getting educated by publications that compare products. Consumer reports, car and driver, any bike mag, anything at all! it is all 100% garbage. I have delt with this stuff so many times it makes me sick.

Who the F^ck is Steve Jones?!?! I have never heard of him before. What the hell does he know about me, where I live, how I ride my bike, where I ride my bike and what I ate for breakfast? YES, everyone needs a job nd has one, and some are cooler than others. He has a cool job, but it ends there. His opinion does not mean **** to me and it shouldn't mean anything to anyone else. His job is to entertain people, not help them make a educated decision.

Slap happy crappiness
    The leverage ratio on the V10 is going to call for a MASSIVE spring for your weight. Being 230 myself I look for bikes with low ratios to keep the spring weight reasonable, I run a 450 on my DHR. I'm not a huge fan of Intense but I think it's the better suited bike. Slack, better leverage ratio, and low BB which you're used to.
    That's my $0.02
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by DEST
    I'm 6'1

but are the local guys planning on getting new bikes next season??? that what i find with most guys riding these..they start talking about what new bike for next year...i need somthing that will hold up for two to three years.. how much normally for the crash replacement...and what dont they cover....if you know???
    they ride them for 2 and 3 years then buy a new Intense
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Glad to Be Alive

I honestly did a test between My M-3, Azonic Saber and my Specialized Stuntjumper.....I eliminated the M-3 and Saber after first ride because of bad geometry

oh BTW.... I needed geometry for pedaling.........so here is one to you....what type of application they going for because if it is DH then the trek sucks....it is more of a freeride feel to it....looks like a glorified stinky with a different pivot in rear

suspension on M-6 being bad.....I guess Steve Jones is on his knees giving BJ's to Orange and Trek who advertise more dollars in his mag

Doesnt ride Banshees
    I ride an 08' V10 and have spent some time on the new M6. In my personal opinion, you really have to know what the hell your doing to properly ride an M6. I've owned and spent a healthy ammount of real time riding most of the popular bikes on the market (M3, Socom, DHR, Sunday, V10, M6, R9, 303). I also consider myself a relatively skilled rider and racer who can feel the distinct differences between them. From the time I spent on the M6, I can confidently say the geometry of this bike is not for the weekend warrior, or even a good portion of recreation racers. You need to be "on it" at all times, and the pedal timing you thought you knew from riding a sunday is amplified two fold on the M6. Where your riding Diablo, which has a healthy serving of rocks that will love your chainguide, all I have to say is: Buyer beware. Your buying a legitmate race bike. It offers an amazing ride, but I couldn't see myself owning it unless I was on a world cup track every weekend.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Banshee Rider
    I ride an 08' V10 and have spent some time on the new M6. In my personal opinion, you really have to know what the hell your doing to properly ride an M6. I've owned and spent a healthy ammount of real time riding most of the popular bikes on the market (M3, Socom, DHR, Sunday, V10, M6, R9, 303). I also consider myself a relatively skilled rider and racer who can feel the distinct differences between them. From the time I spent on the M6, I can confidently say the geometry of this bike is not for the weekend warrior, or even a good portion of recreation racers. You need to be "on it" at all times, and the pedal timing you thought you knew from riding a sunday is amplified two fold on the M6. Where your riding Diablo, which has a healthy serving of rocks that will love your chainguide, all I have to say is: Buyer beware. Your buying a legitmate race bike. It offers an amazing ride, but I couldn't see myself owning it unless I was on a world cup track every weekend.

Exactly what i think of the Intense M6, it is a good bike, but its gonna ask you a lot of maintenance, and i personnaly think its way over what your doing... im not judging you but i personnaly think this bike was designed for Kovarik for his style and for no one else because the bike does feel weird to me, but dont get me wrong its a piece of art. Even thought, your other option is ridiculous, the V10 is one of my favorite bike, as it was my race rig for 2 years in a row, but i can tell you that you are loosing your time with that kind of bike.... you seem like a casual rider, who has passion for his sport and who is looking to spend his summer riding his bike more than "fixing" them, be realist and look somewhere else... BUT if you are looking for a good Race ready Dh bike with low maintenance, i would choose a SP only, like morewood or the orange 224, with a good tuned rear shock, both of these bikes has spot on geometries and gonna have you ride your bike a full season without having a single problem, and they are way easier to adjust yourself on, and they are easy to feel at "home" on them..

Good luck !

Members who have read this thread: 0