v10 for beginner- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

v10 for beginner

I have a chance to get one of these bikes cheap. The reviews are off the charts, but I'm wondering if this bike is a bad choice for someone new to DH. The huge travel gives me some pause. I'm a pretty polished XCer but don't have any DH experience. I'm planning on being a mostly wheels on the ground guy, maybe some small jumps.

Any advice?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    That's a lot of commitment for a person who doesn't plan on using a bike to it's full potential. I'd suggest maybe getting something like a Nomad and use it for light DH but mainly for all mountain style riding. This way you can stick to your roots of xc riding, and yet have a bike that can handle most of the gnar.

C__Corax
    Sep 2009
    Do it, you can't learn how to ride DH without riding DH. if you find it's not for you pass the good deal you got on it to the next person when you sell it.

newless cluebie
    Sep 2009
    Haters will hate you, but only because they're jealous.

Do it, if you've already got XC foundation you probably already have a mountain bike that can handle trail rides. Go all out on a big bike so you can enjoy the times you ride it.
    My Trifecta: Rocky Mountain Flatline Pro, Rocky Mountain Slayer SXC70, eBay Carbon Hardtail

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I am of the opinion "get the best that you can afford and grow". I wont hurt you to have an awesome bike and if you get into it you will have an amazing bike. Sure, people will hate but who cares...... V10s are sick and its your money . If it doesn't pan out, then you sell. Just go out and have fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by betheriver View Post
    I have a chance to get one of these bikes cheap. The reviews are off the charts, but I'm wondering if this bike is a bad choice for someone new to DH. The huge travel gives me some pause. I'm a pretty polished XCer but don't have any DH experience. I'm planning on being a mostly wheels on the ground guy, maybe some small jumps.

Any advice?
    I was in the same boat. I tried to make my Nomad as DH capable as possible. ie 180mm fork, Saint group, Mavic 823 wheels. Although the Nomad was pretty good at most DH parks, I still ended up getting a full DH rig.

Go for the V10 if you're planning on riding DH. You won't regret it!

Links to some pictures of my Nomad, and my new rig

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=726720
    Last edited by macming; 07-26-2011 at 04:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I did what Macming did to start with a nomad then bought the V10 and it is night and day apart. The confidence they provide is insane on steep stuff. The bike is perfect for staying on the ground since that is what they are made to do for the most part.

mtbr member
    I come from the same background as you (XC rider for years) and recently got into the DH side myself. That's a lot of bike for a beginner but it should work for you without a problem. You'll find that DH riding is a lot different than XC but a lot is the same or very similar with regard to technique.

Downhill is an absolute blast. Go out, have fun, and hopefully you stick with it. Just remember, you can't blame the bike if you can't keep up with your friends.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    DO IT you can't go wrong with a V10, cause if you don't like there's always someone who will buy it from you

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by illnotsick View Post
    DO IT you can't go wrong with a V10, cause if you don't like there's always someone who will STEAL it from you
    Fixed.
    "Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Any advice?
    you are an xc guy, you probably already understand how to ride fast over rough stuff and pick lines. i would guess the hard part of transitioning to dh riding for you will be the jumps and learning to really handle a bike at the limit. jumping is a key part of DH and to avoid it is a mistake. IMHO a super plush bike like a V10 is not ideal for getting these skills down, but it is doable. at the same time, get a crappy older dirt jump hardtail for cheap too and learn to jump, bunnyhop, wheelie, and manual a bit, just perfect your handling skills and they will definitely transition over to both your DH and XC riding ability. you could even get a bmx, but that will likely be a steeper learning curve than the bigger wheels.
    oh, get the V10 as long as it is an '06 or newer and not the old original super plow version.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Get the v10. It's a solid ass bike that's not gonna break. If you got the dough to buy it well then hurry up an post pics!
    2011 transition 250
    2009 DB scapegoat

Picture Unrelated
    The V10 is a great wheels to the ground bike, if you're going to ride DH you can hardly do better especially if you're getting it for a good price. The obligatory "does it fit?" question comes into play though.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    I was a solid XC/AM rider and picked up a used V10 to get into DH. It has been a great bike to learn on... VERY forgiving and it has tons of sag so it's easy to 'keep the wheels on the ground'. It is a solid platform and eats up rough trails, rock gardens, drops, braking bumps, etc That said, it is a bit harder to learn how to jump on than a lighter free-ride bike, but in my experience that can easily be overcome with a bit more speed/skill which will come. So in short... DO IT!.. you won't regret it.

EDIT: You can jump and clear anything on a V-10 that you can on any other FR/DH bike. You just need a bit more speed and proper commitment

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by scaryfast View Post
    That's a lot of commitment for a person who doesn't plan on using a bike to it's full potential. I'd suggest maybe getting something like a Nomad and use it for light DH but mainly for all mountain style riding. This way you can stick to your roots of xc riding, and yet have a bike that can handle most of the gnar.
    Guess I didn't clarify. I'm not looking for an AM bike, I am hoping to get into DH. I am looking for a good bike for Highland/Diablo/Snow type riding. I just wasn't sure if 10" of suspension was too much for me given the fact I'm going to be learning on this bike.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Yeah, the 10" travel isn't a problem. The other people described the V-10 pretty accurately. If you want a bike that'll be a bit easier to learn to jump there are other DH bikes with 8-10" of travel that do jump better. That said it's prob not a big deal. If you have a good lead on the V10 then go ahead. No matter what you do though I'd recommend a proper DH bike with a dual-crown fork, anything less won't get you the full experience.

my fun has a hurting
    if its a new v10c just run it in 8.5 if you want to work on your jumping. i switch mine back and forth depending on what park i'm going to and what riding i feel like doing that day.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    do it and don't look back or give a rat's ass what anyone says.

get a good lock..

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Steve Peat rides one, enough said!

maker of trail
    Only reason I would say not to do it, is because what the hell are you going to upgrade to later!? Be pretty tough to beat a macked out V10.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by essenmeinstuff View Post
    Only reason I would say not to do it, is because what the hell are you going to upgrade to later!? Be pretty tough to beat a macked out V10.
    Another bike!