Uzzi VP vs M9- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Uzzi VP vs M9

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Quarashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    884

    Uzzi VP vs M9

    These are very different bikes but I'm intent on using them for the same purpose.

    I ride pro DH on our circuit and I want to limit myself to intense in this choice for sponsorship and connection reasons. This bike is going to be a through and through DH bike but around here most of the DH courses are around 80% smooth, pedally with a few jumps. There are a few very rough courses though, and in a year there may only be just one or two rough course races.

    Uzz pro'si:
    Light DH build, single crown, angle set, expected to be in 34ish lb range without much strength compromise relative to frame strength. I would probably invest in a good shock in this option to compensate as much as possible for the lack of travel. The bike will probably be a lot more fun to use outside of racing on normal rides. I'm assuming it will also pedal a lot better, be a lot easier to bunny hop, and bring through tight corners. Acceleration is also a big plus for the courses that don't have very nice flow.

    M9 pros:
    Full on DH, probably 40lbs+, much more expensive as I would need to buy a new fork, cranks, etc. Less practical but the confidence of a DH bike is something that my testosterone as been hungry for. I am also worried that at my level of racing, that one rough section or that one big drop could win or lose a race. Not to mention stiffness and cornering advantages of the M9. I'm wondering if I could pedal this bike just as well as an Uzzi or if I could set it up to be nimble with the g3 drop outs. Big plus will also be me dying a little less inside after overshooting drops or stepdowns, which is pretty common here.

    Looking for opinions about the Uzzi's stiffness/strength and the M9's pedal-friendliness and how nimble it is. The HA is a bit steep on the Uzzi but an angleset would fix that. I'm leaning toward the Uzzi right now but no self respecting downhill racer would not be craving a full on DH bike!
    About buying a bike:
    Quote Originally Posted by No MSG
    It's like finding a wife. Personality is important, but you gotta look at that face every morning.

  2. #2
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,929
    I think the 951 is the bike you want....a little bit of both bikes....and get the crane creek double barrel with it

  3. #3
    外国人
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    411
    ^what he said
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A Select Start

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Quarashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    884
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    I think the 951 is the bike you want....a little bit of both bikes....and get the crane creek double barrel with it
    On paper ,yes, and this by far the most common intense bike here. I've tried many out but I just don't "feel" it. I've sat on an M6 and immediately felt like I'd be very happy on the bike and the same with an Uzzi but for some reason the 951 just doesn't tickle my fancy. I can't think of anything on paper to that I could attach to me not liking the bike. It's hard to describe but I'm sure you all know that feeling when a bike just isn't for you.
    About buying a bike:
    Quote Originally Posted by No MSG
    It's like finding a wife. Personality is important, but you gotta look at that face every morning.

  5. #5
    maker of trail
    Reputation: essenmeinstuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,008
    Could you on the uzzi make up any potential losses it might have in rough sections on the smoother faster padaly sections?

    Also maybe a dual crown on the Uzzi for the rougher races might offset some of the disadvantage...

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    461
    Went from an IH Sunday to a VP Uzzi. Not an M9 but the same kind of idea.

    The bikes are defiantly two different animals. Granted I have the air shock on the Uzzi so its in the lesser travel setting 6 inches, I think, and a 160 Lyrik Air. The Uzzi definitely pedals better and the lightness of the bike is noticeable. It is lacking in the bottomless feel that the Sunday, and I'm assuming a 9 inch bike like an M-9 would have. The Uzzi definitely holds its own on the steep and the rocky trails though. Haven't had a ton of time it though so the jury is still out on how well it will handle the more tech trails. The Sunday definitely handled them well.

    It really comes down to the courses you'll be riding though. I'd say unless you are just running steep tech tracks with minimal pedaling then you'd be pretty good an Uzzi.

  7. #7
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,929
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarashi
    On paper ,yes, and this by far the most common intense bike here. I've tried many out but I just don't "feel" it. I've sat on an M6 and immediately felt like I'd be very happy on the bike and the same with an Uzzi but for some reason the 951 just doesn't tickle my fancy. I can't think of anything on paper to that I could attach to me not liking the bike. It's hard to describe but I'm sure you all know that feeling when a bike just isn't for you.
    I understand......one thing to think about is the adjustable travel of the M-9. You can shorten the travel.\

    FYI...if there isn't to much chunky sections then the more pedally favored Uzzi bike might be your best choice.

    Honestly I would get the M-9 and build it very lite with a lot of XC parts and an air shock to keep weight down. A very lite wheel set too

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,292
    what about an ss2

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Quarashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    884
    Quote Originally Posted by jcook1989
    Went from an IH Sunday to a VP Uzzi. Not an M9 but the same kind of idea.

    The bikes are defiantly two different animals. Granted I have the air shock on the Uzzi so its in the lesser travel setting 6 inches, I think, and a 160 Lyrik Air. The Uzzi definitely pedals better and the lightness of the bike is noticeable. It is lacking in the bottomless feel that the Sunday, and I'm assuming a 9 inch bike like an M-9 would have. The Uzzi definitely holds its own on the steep and the rocky trails though. Haven't had a ton of time it though so the jury is still out on how well it will handle the more tech trails. The Sunday definitely handled them well.

    It really comes down to the courses you'll be riding though. I'd say unless you are just running steep tech tracks with minimal pedaling then you'd be pretty good an Uzzi.

    Bottomlessness is something I'm looking for too. I'm currently riding a Banshee Scythe and it has the bottomless feeling and actually handles hard hits a lot better than a lot of bigger bikes I've tried. My beef with it is it's quite cumbersome and the front end is quite heavy. It also doesn't do too great in the roughs and braking but is an excellent single track carver. I'm hoping the Uzzi would "feel" lighter and at the same time handle the roughs better because of VPP. Do you think you could tune that bottomless feeling into the Uzzi without midstroke compromise? (this is where I'm thinking I'd need to invest in a good shock)

    The biggest thing the M9 has to offer for me is just peace of mind. Which, on race day I think is one of the most important things you can have when you're hearing the countdown for your release.

    As for the SS2, I don't understand that bike. I can't imagine anything the the lighter, and longer travel Uzzi couldn't do that the SS2 could. And I'm afraid it would feel like a 951!
    About buying a bike:
    Quote Originally Posted by No MSG
    It's like finding a wife. Personality is important, but you gotta look at that face every morning.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,292
    the ss2 is burlier then the uzzi.. it does have less travel but it takes hits like a champ.. much more dh geo.. it does feel like a 951 with more pop and fun imho...what exactly are you looking for? the uzzi and the m9 are completely different.. uzzi is a heavier long travel trail bike and the m9 is a wc level dh bike

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Quarashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    884
    Quote Originally Posted by invol2ver
    the ss2 is burlier then the uzzi.. it does have less travel but it takes hits like a champ.. much more dh geo.. it does feel like a 951 with more pop and fun imho...what exactly are you looking for? the uzzi and the m9 are completely different.. uzzi is a heavier long travel trail bike and the m9 is a wc level dh bike
    I'm not that bulky at 150lbs and an angleset would get the Uzzi at pretty DH geometry. First post has all I'm looking for unless you want to ask a more specific question. I have pretty good experience riding FR bikes at competitive DH races so I think I'm a good position to take advantage of a light mini-dh bike. But I've never owned a full on M9-esque DH bike so I'm not really sure about how much greener the grass is on the other side of the fence.

    Most courses here aren't as steep or as high speed as (I'm guessing here) the majority of the race courses you guys have. But there are sections and the occasional whole track that can be quite rough and quite steep. Courses here also designed more for the intermediate-beginner rider as they are by far the majority so I need a bike that I can prejump and bunny hop quite easily to hit obstacles that were designed to be ridden at much lower speeds. If I got a DH bike I would definitely take advantage of any adjustability it had to get it as nimble and "light" feeling as possible.

    I also learned from my present bike that how light a bike rides has almost nothing to do with how much travel it has or how heavy it is.
    About buying a bike:
    Quote Originally Posted by No MSG
    It's like finding a wife. Personality is important, but you gotta look at that face every morning.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,292
    the m9 is def not for you then..the m9 is a sled..dude the ss2 is prob the hot ticket for you honestly. especially given your size

  13. #13
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,929
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarashi
    I'm not that bulky at 150lbs and an angleset would get the Uzzi at pretty DH geometry. First post has all I'm looking for unless you want to ask a more specific question. I have pretty good experience riding FR bikes at competitive DH races so I think I'm a good position to take advantage of a light mini-dh bike. But I've never owned a full on M9-esque DH bike so I'm not really sure about how much greener the grass is on the other side of the fence.

    Most courses here aren't as steep or as high speed as (I'm guessing here) the majority of the race courses you guys have. But there are sections and the occasional whole track that can be quite rough and quite steep. Courses here also designed more for the intermediate-beginner rider as they are by far the majority so I need a bike that I can prejump and bunny hop quite easily to hit obstacles that were designed to be ridden at much lower speeds. If I got a DH bike I would definitely take advantage of any adjustability it had to get it as nimble and "light" feeling as possible.

    I also learned from my present bike that how light a bike rides has almost nothing to do with how much travel it has or how heavy it is.
    M-9 in short travel setting for the races with a 50 pound lesser spring for shock or even get an air shock

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    156
    i think either way you go youll be happy on good days but questioning wether you should have got the M9 if you get the uzzi and vice versa if you get the M9. this question will always be in your head, no way around it unless you get both. two totally different bikes with different riding characteristics. what about the intense SS. but i guess if you didnt like the 951 you wont like the SS. from the gate i would have choosen the SS if intense is all i had to choose from. i know i didnt bring much to the table, but like i said you;ll always question the bike you didnt get. if i had to choose one of the 2 you mention the M9. i just think youll have more fun with it.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boynamedsue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    43
    951 all the way, best of both worlds... try one again but maybe with some different settings... I've tried 2 different 951's set up different, and guess what, they rode completely different. one of my buddies has his set up with an air shock on the rear and 180 talas up front... would kill it on the courses your describing.... then you could get a dual crown up front and coil on the rear for a course that requires a bigger bike.... uzzi would kill it too... M9 is a sled, an incredible bike... just doesn't sound like what you are looking for... I vote 951, and I have both an Uzzi and a 951.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.