Using DHF/DHR 3C Tubeless?- Mtbr.com
    East Coast Style

Using DHF/DHR 3C Tubeless?

Hey guys. Im trying to figure out if I can use the new Minion 3c compound tires as a tubeless configuration with mavic 823's. It's a tubeless rim, but not a tubeless tire as far as I can see. Will this work? Or will i have to stick to super tacky? Thanks!
    Intense Socom
    Transition Double

[/SIZE][/FONT]

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by acdcfan1283
    Hey guys. Im trying to figure out if I can use the new Minion 3c compound tires as a tubeless configuration with mavic 823's. It's a tubeless rim, but not a tubeless tire as far as I can see. Will this work? Or will i have to stick to super tacky? Thanks!
    I have not done this but DaveP has for some time now succesfully.He is not using 823's but 5.1's with stans setup.I do however plan to on 721's with stans.

mtbr member
    Im running the 3c with stans and no issues, it seals extremely well. Enough so that it could probably be used without stans.
    Id use stans anywase!!!!!
    My Sponsor House

"I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

East Coast Style
    ok great. sounds like ill be getting these than. Thanks!
    Intense Socom
    Transition Double

[/SIZE][/FONT]

mtbr member
    BTW they hook up extremely well in the rough stuff! Best tires to date Ive ridden...
    My Sponsor House

East Coast Style
    Quote Originally Posted by bullcrew
    BTW they hook up extremely well in the rough stuff! Best tires to date Ive ridden...
    i currently have the michelin dh24s set up (well, as of now 1 dh24) and im tired of running htem because ive had 2 of them get pierced through the top tube with 35 psi running in them and im tired of having that happen. and they slip sometimes, so these should be much better
    Intense Socom
    Transition Double

[/SIZE][/FONT]

AKA shitbird
    I'm running Maxxis 3C high rollers on 819's and it works fine.
    JRA

dirt visionary
    It will work . I have been running them on my deemax's (823's) for 5 months with no issues at all.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    Yeah I switch back and forth between that and non-UST Nevegals. Never had a problem.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DHRracer
    I have not done this but DaveP has for some time now succesfully.He is not using 823's but 5.1's with stans setup.I do however plan to on 721's with stans.
    SIngle plys (60a not 3C) on the 5.1....

3Cs on 721s with stans no problem. They do seem to loose pressure slowly over time....a month in the garage over the winter and they were ~flat..but few pump strokes and they are ready to go again. Certainly not a day-to-day issue as they seemed to not lose pressure on that time scale....and I usually adjust PSI based on daily riding conditions.

They seem to hold up considerably better than the supertackys (only thing avail in UST)...no chunking or entire knobs torn off

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by acdcfan1283
    i currently have the michelin dh24s set up (well, as of now 1 dh24) and im tired of running htem because ive had 2 of them get pierced through the top tube with 35 psi running in them and im tired of having that happen. and they slip sometimes, so these should be much better
    I dont think you will find the Maxxis tires any more puncture resistant than Mich (ran nothing but Mich for years)...but the DHF tread is very good (ditch the DHR run DHF front and rear!!) and IMO that is Mich's only weakness....a lack of tread variety (well that and they are french, so their tire descriptions are cryptic at best).

For your 24, my guess is that you are noticing a lack of traction of some intermediate/soft/little mud terrain? If so, cut off the secondary side knob (the little conjoined knob attached to every other side knob). This will add a good deal of side/cornering grip on anything not hardpack. I do this to ALL my 24s.

Glad to Be Alive
    use stans and really shake the shiat out of the bottle before putting the goo in
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

East Coast Style
    Quote Originally Posted by davep
    SIngle plys (60a not 3C) on the 5.1....

3Cs on 721s with stans no problem. They do seem to loose pressure slowly over time....a month in the garage over the winter and they were ~flat..but few pump strokes and they are ready to go again. Certainly not a day-to-day issue as they seemed to not lose pressure on that time scale....and I usually adjust PSI based on daily riding conditions.

They seem to hold up considerably better than the supertackys (only thing avail in UST)...no chunking or entire knobs torn off
    good good. because ive got a super tacky high roller and it got destroyed in one weekend. all the knobs looked like they were cut in half heheh
    Intense Socom
    Transition Double

[/SIZE][/FONT]

Calm Like a Bomb
    are u guys just running the non-ust tire with the ust rim and stans or are u doing a ghetto as well?
    '17 Hatchet Carbon
    '17 Troy Carbon
    '16 Django Carbon
    '16 Wilson
    '16 Farley 5

https://www.instagram.com/jayparrington/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pipes10
    are u guys just running the non-ust tire with the ust rim and stans or are u doing a ghetto as well?
    Just the non ust tire on the rim with stans. The whole special bead nonsense is WAY overstated. The beads of most DH tires are already super tight and there isn't much of a difference in shape. They might not be quite as smooth but stans seals them up nicely. The main difference to UST tires is in the casing. I've never found the casing of a nice double ply Maxxis or Kenda DH tire to be insufficient at all, especially when filled with stans. Another little known fact is non UST tires have lots of tiny perforations in the casing. Stans takes care of that. It's also nice to save an additional 200-300 grams over a UST casing tire.

mtbr member
    Non UST!
    My Sponsor House

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bullcrew
    No schit!

Even noticably better than the ST version. It's scary how far you can lean over on the 3C on loose off-camber turns. IMO, no other tire comes even close to the insane lateral grip of these AND still roll as fast.

dirt visionary
    Agreed ! There has been no other tire on the market that I have tried that grips like the 3c. Here in Az most of what we ride is loose over hardpack and its a mixture of sand ,pea gravel to loose rocks. No other tire allows me to grab corners like the 3c . I can rail corners super hard and always have confindence in the tires. Give me a slightly tacky surface and I am in heaven . Although I do go thru 2 rears to every front .

gkl
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    yeah, the 3c is great for az. i am on my second set with stans on non-ust 325 (i think) rims.

here is the weird thing....if you run 3c tires with stans (i just mounted a new one a couple of days ago) you will likely notice some dark purple/black fluid coming from around the rim where the bead seats. i talked to my LBS and the wrench (Fish) told me that it was the Stans breaking down the rubber of the tire. it was enough to drip onto my garage floor, not a lot, just a couple of spots. he said that it was nothing to be concerned with. i thought i was leaking brake fluid at first. just wanted to give the heads up cause i mildly freaked when i saw it, thinking my brakes were shot.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    My UST Maxxis DHF weighs 1300 grams. What do the 3c's weigh?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

dirt visionary
    According to maxxis 1330 for the 2.5

Calm Like a Bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blonde
    Just the non ust tire on the rim with stans. The whole special bead nonsense is WAY overstated. The beads of most DH tires are already super tight and there isn't much of a difference in shape. They might not be quite as smooth but stans seals them up nicely. The main difference to UST tires is in the casing. I've never found the casing of a nice double ply Maxxis or Kenda DH tire to be insufficient at all, especially when filled with stans. Another little known fact is non UST tires have lots of tiny perforations in the casing. Stans takes care of that. It's also nice to save an additional 200-300 grams over a UST casing tire.
    thanks for the reply....so i would be ok to run the non ust highroller 3c with my ust rim and stans?
    '17 Hatchet Carbon
    '17 Troy Carbon
    '16 Django Carbon
    '16 Wilson
    '16 Farley 5

https://www.instagram.com/jayparrington/

mtbr member

Conversion strips and UST tyres are a GIMMICK

NO MORE TUBELESS CONVERSION KITS OR UST TYRES.... EVER!!

I use non-UST DHF 2.5 2 ply minion front and rear, like everyone else has said, chuck in a bit of stans and they seal the tyre up, results in a lighter "UST" tyre than the proper UST. Don't use UST rims either if you don't want, just cut a valve out of a tube with a small flange of rubber around the valve, screw it in, put the tyre on w stans and pump it up with a compressor (can never seat them otherwise). Make sure you have sealed your spoke holes, regular scotch-brite sticky tape (cheap sht) works better than rim tape, use three layers (i.e., run sticky tape around your rim 3 times instead of rim tape!) Truly. Make a mess with the stans and you get a easier seat. Just rinse it off after and off you go!!

I have used this method on all types of rim and tyre, single and double ply (singles are easier) , including cheap, dodgy rims. It works. Its cheap and light. As for tyres- beads have to be just as strong with a tube as with UST, stans fixes the leaky bits every time.

Any problems with getting it up, let me know and Dr Bigfatadder help with troubleshooting.

HAte to see a Bro having trouble keeping it up

Members who have read this thread: 0