Used bike - How old is to old?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Used bike - How old is to old?

What's going on guys?

I haven't hit the trails in about two years but I'm very excited to get back to riding.

I'm not looking to spend a ton of money on a new bike so I've narrowed down my search to used bikes.

I'm esentially looking for something that I can hit the trails with fast and hard and I also want to be able to commute. I don't jump a lot but if I see one a nice one or a big stair gap, I just can't resist. I'll hit it.

I'm not really sure how components, technology have changed over the years or if replacement parts for older bikes are still available, so my question is. How old is to old?

I was looking at this bike here. He wants around 800 for it. I love the look and the components look half decent but the price seems a bit high to me.

What do you guys think? Is that to much money for something of that age? Should I bump up my price range a bit and go for something newer?

Thanks!

Please view this ad:

Menís Scott nitrous twenty bike,
    https://www.kijiji.ca/v-mountain-bik...nt=app_android

Price: $*900

Download the application from the Google Play Store.
    https://tinyurl.com/9x9f4jd

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'm not sure of the year of the bike, but looking at the values here I'd say the person is asking more than double the value:

https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/Sear...37&model=57151

https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/Sear...37&model=57151

I'd keep looking and probably up your budget a bit. When I was looking at a bike it seemed there were good deals for Kona's, Specialized and Giant DH bikes. Just looking at used bikes on pinkbike there are Giant Glory's around the price range you mentioned and some with better specs for a little bit more money.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply. I would have to agree with you. I will look into the giant glory.

I can't find much in my area currently. Hopefully something comes up soon. I've been lurking for a few weeks now. I want to stay in the thousand dollar range but bumping to 1500 seems like the best option as far as specs go.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kylebooth View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I would have to agree with you. I will look into the giant glory.

I can't find much in my area currently. Hopefully something comes up soon. I've been lurking for a few weeks now. I want to stay in the thousand dollar range but bumping to 1500 seems like the best option as far as specs go.
    Just wanted to point out that you mentioned you wanted to use the bike for commuting. If that really is the case, a DH bike is last type of bike I would ever want to commute on. You'll be better off looking for a trail bike, or better yet a hardtail if you're commuting more than riding trail.

To be honest, I'd look at finding a dirt cheap old beater road bike for $150 for your commute, and then spend the rest on a mountain bike. If you're commuting daily on pavement, you'd probably spend that $150 replacing worn out knobbies within 6 months (probably sooner with what mtb tires cost nowdays).

As far as what is too old for a used bike, it all depends on what condition the bike is in.
    You can have as much fun on an old bike in pristine condition as you could have on the day it was sold. If you never rode anything newer, you wouldn't know what you were missing, so in a sense it's all relative.

In regard to finding components to fit an older bike, you can find just about anything you'd ever need to fit an older bike, but the one thing I'd be most concerned with is the head tube since that limits fork options, which is the most expensive thing you'd replace on a bike outside of the frame or a set of high end carbon wheels.

Looking way back to bikes in the 90s and earlier that used straight 1" headtube diameters, you'd be really limited finding 1" steerer forks. Even 1 1/8" straight head tubes will limit your options a fair bit. So, going with a used bike with a tapered steerer (probably 2010 or newer) or even a 1.5" straight head tube would give you the option to run just about any fork.

If you're going full suspension and used, I'd also look at what size rear shock the bike uses so you don't get stuck with some oddball size that nobody makes or services anymore.
    No dig no whine

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Going to be honest here. If this bike is genuinely for commuting then i hope your commute is down hill and gnarly. Pedaling that thing any distance will beat it out of you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XJman View Post
    Going to be honest here. If this bike is genuinely for commuting then i hope your commute is down hill and gnarly. Pedaling that thing any distance will beat it out of you.

I envy those with a commute that warrants a DH bike.

...unless itís to a hard-to-get-to meth lab...

I echo those comments above: cheap commuter and spend the rest on dedicated mtb. The comment on tire wear was spot on.
    18í SC Bronson Carbon
    Grip2, Reserve 27 hoops, i9 hubs, Float X2

2018 SC V10.6
    Grip2, We Are One: The Outlier, i9 hubs, DHX2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shartist View Post
    I envy those with a commute that warrants a DH bike.
    When I was a boy, we used to commute to school on our downhill bikes uphill both ways in the snow. AND WE LIKED IT!!!!!!!
    No dig no whine

May The Force Be With You
    if I hadn't sold it and upgraded to the Jedi I'd still be riding the nostalgic 2001 Schwinn Straight 8

'11 Jedi
    '01 Rocket 88 Stage3
    2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser