urgent!...blown DHX5.0...help- Mtbr.com
    only yeti with dh skills

urgent!...blown DHX5.0...help

hi,
    i just changed the oil of my dhx5.0 for a 5w oil....i`m used to changing oil to fifth elements and i did the same here. at the first try on the dh course the oil spilled out of the o-ring of the cap where the shaft goes in. i tried it again and replaced the o-ring for a new one....and oil spilled again. what`s the difference between changing oil on a dhx and a fifth element?...what am i doing wrong? please help!
    Supported by: www.biroma.ch
    Food: Tuna Salad and Lasagna
    Hate: Winter, Zürich's City Council, Zürich's Old People, Winter...Specially Zürich's Winter, Zürich's Prices
    Love: Zürich B-itches

Former Noob Herder
    shouldnt of messed with it
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

only yeti with dh skills

thanx dude!....

i was just trying to get some help...it happens that when u live 2000km of the nearest "authorized fox repair center" u gotta do sh** urself!....now can u help me?...
    Hate: Winter, Zürich's City Council, Zürich's Old People, Winter...Specially Zürich's Winter, Zürich's Prices

Glad to Be Alive
    one word...YIKES
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by El Dorado
    i was just trying to get some help...it happens that when u live 2000km of the nearest "authorized fox repair center" u gotta do sh** urself!....now can u help me?...
    well, there are very few people here who have actually taken a damper apart, and you're probably the only one that has worked on a DHX here.

The problem could of been the oil you changed it with. I have no idea why you wanted to change it, that shock has a broad adjustment range (if it aint broke, dont fix it).

now you may have no choice but to send it in. The mail can handle the distance. PUSH industries might be an alternative solution, he's worked on DHXs.

only yeti with dh skills

ok...

Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    well, there are very few people here who have actually taken a damper apart, and you're probably the only one that has worked on a DHX here.

The problem could of been the oil you changed it with. I have no idea why you wanted to change it, that shock has a broad adjustment range (if it aint broke, dont fix it).

now you may have no choice but to send it in. The mail can handle the distance. PUSH industries might be an alternative solution, he's worked on DHXs.
    i changed the oil because the factory oil was too thin.the same happened when i got a fifth element....the factory oil was too thin so i replaced it with a heavier oil and it worked much better.hopefully someone has allready taken some dhx apart and can help me....no i ll just get some more oil and do everything with extreme care and try some other new methods.

Former Noob Herder
    i changed the oil because the factory oil was too thin.the same happened when i got a fifth element....the factory oil was too thin so i replaced it with a heavier oil and it worked much better.hopefully someone has allready taken some dhx apart and can help me....no i ll just get some more oil and do everything with extreme care and try some other new methods.
    too thin? even with 200psiand the ProPedal screwed in? Also i dont know how these shocks are bled since you arent supposed to cycle them with less than 70psi (the boost valve does funny things)

and you shouldn't be messing with oil weight, but rather re-shimming if the damping is still too light, which i have a very hard time believing.

only yeti with dh skills

too thin? even with 200psiand the ProPedal screwed in? Also i dont know how these shocks are bled since you arent supposed to cycle them with less than 70psi (the boost valve does funny things)

and you shouldn't be messing with oil weight, but rather re-shimming if the damping is still too light, which i have a very hard time believing.
    i never rode the shock with less or more than 70/200 psi. and the boost valve has only noticeable effects at the last part of the stroke....i will figure out how the boost valve is assembled. perhaps there is the clue i ve been missing. i just thought it would be the same as a swinger or a fifth...luckily the only thing i ve lost is oil and time.

Xtremely Moderate

No doubt. Add a heavier spring or pump it up some more or crank up the Propedal or a combo of the 3.

That shock is so adjustible that if its sprung properly, I can't believe anyone can't find a setup that they're not happy with.

How did you possibly make the determination that the oil was too thin?

Now you've probably voided any warranty you had on it by tampering with it.
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by e<i>o
    That shock is so adjustible that if its sprung properly, I can't believe anyone can't find a setup that that they're not happy with.
    That's really a key too, if the shock is undersprung the damping will not work right. Many times people run too much sag and then complain about it not working right.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by eo

How did you possibly make the determination that the oil was too thin?

Now you've probably voided any warranty you had on it by tampering with it.
    especially since the valving/porting is most likely designed around a specific oil viscosity. This is why shim-stack adjustments are made, and not oil weights for rear shocks. Someone took alot of time designing this thing, i wouldnt blindly be making such changes.

i'm pretty handy with working on stuff, but to me rear shocks remain a black-box affair. Also supposedly you can damage the Boost valve parts. The only person that i know that would have professional knowledge of this shock is Darren from PUSH.

Jm.
    mtbr member

i'm pretty handy with working on stuff, but to me rear shocks remain a black-box affair. Also supposedly you can damage the Boost valve parts. The only person that i know that would have professional knowledge of this shock is Darren from PUSH.
    I'm sure there's nothing crazy, there's just a few issues though;

1. For most shocks, no one has a bottle of nitrogen sitting around with an integrated pressure gauge.

2. The IFP height has to be set just right, which is data that we also don't have.

3. The correct oil volume is data we also do not have.

There will be variables particular to each shock, but it's a less servicable component than a fork, due to higher pressures of nitrogen charge and just air spring, needs tighter tolerances, etc. It doesn't make good sense to have shops working on them, unless you want to go out and buy all the shops the equipment they need, but they'd use it so rarely it would never be worth it.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    I'm sure there's nothing crazy, there's just a few issues though...
    its an insular component which you cant just 'look inside' to see if its working properly. I spent alot of coin on this thing, so i'm not going to trash its performance with my ignorance. If i had a manual or a short training session on it than sure, but my DHX isnt going to be subject to exploratory surgery unless i really dont give a crap.

i really cringe when a rear shock "how-to" thread pops up. I wouldn't tell people how to work on them if i had for years.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    i really cringe when a rear shock "how-to" thread pops up. I wouldn't tell people how to work on them if i had for years.
    That's what I was getting at.

mtbr member
    How did you set the oil height/volume for the shock? It sounds like you might have hydraulic locked it, leaving the oil to find it's own way out on the first good hit.

What size is it? If you can't get it together I might buy the parts from you.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz, Mech Engineer, Tuner, Manitou, Motorex, Vorsprung EPTC, SKF, Enduro
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    hi,
    i just changed the oil of my dhx5.0 for a 5w oil....i`m used to changing oil to fifth elements and i did the same here. at the first try on the dh course the oil spilled out of the o-ring of the cap where the shaft goes in. i tried it again and replaced the o-ring for a new one....and oil spilled again. what`s the difference between changing oil on a dhx and a fifth element?...what am i doing wrong? please help!

I ran into that same problem awhile back when I was trying to fix a blown shock in a pinch. I think it has something to do with shock oil on the threads. It's too slippery.

Oh well its an easy fix, just put some teflon tape on the lower half of the threads and it should stay.

only yeti with dh skills

dream on

Quote Originally Posted by Dougal
    How did you set the oil height/volume for the shock? It sounds like you might have hydraulic locked it, leaving the oil to find it's own way out on the first good hit.

u all guys think i screwed up my shock....tomorrow i ll go to my friends mx shop and will fix my dhx in no time.....u ll see!

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougal

Word. If he doesnt wanna fix it. i'll buy what he has and send it to PUSH myself.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Cynical Bystander
    u all guys think i screwed up my shock....tomorrow i ll go to my friends mx shop and will fix my dhx in no time.....u ll see!
    I'd get it done by Fox before trying to get it done elsewhere. I mean, AVY is the only real shock that is easily servicable at a mx shop....then again I odn't mx so I dont know...
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Former Noob Herder
    no, i'm hopping you didnt. I just dont think it was a very bright thing to do. I think the results gave you that indication.

and even if it doesnt end up squirting oil everywhere, do you know if it'll preform properly? theres supposed to be something tricky with that boost valve design...i dont think its something found on your typical MX shock