Urge Down O Matic Full Face Helmet- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Urge Down O Matic Full Face Helmet

anyone has picked up or tested Urge Down O Matic Full Face Helmet? Looking for new helmet and this ones looks promising...I Appreciate any inputs if you have any....thanks

mtbr member
    Transition Bank
    Transition ToP
    Transition Covert

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I got one earlier this year but as its my first full face I don't really have much to compare it to. What I can say is that it vents way better than I expected, There is lots of riding around my way to get to anything resembling a decent, I tend to leave my lid on when I'm pedalling about and I've never got overly hot in it even on the ups. In terms of fit I have quite a big melon head 62cm and the L/XL fits me well.
    Oh and the other thing make sure your goggles fit as the opening meant I had to go through 5 or so pairs at the shop till I found a good fit.

mtbr member
    I have one and really like it but I have to say they run very small. I take a medium in other brands but for the Down-O-Matic I take a LG/XL and it is very snug.

CoolArrow
    I got the S/M size. It comes with extra padding to change out for sizing, but the stock setup fit me well. A bit on the snug side at first, but not uncomfortable. Now it feels just right, and not quite as bulbous as the Remedy. (I measure out to be like 56cm)

As mentioned, be carefule choosing goggles, the face cavity is smaller than most helmets, so some goggles may be too large.

I dig mine, still have my Remedy, but it's strictly back-up.
    Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    what goggles are you using?
    there are a couple of words that will open you many many doors in life....... push and pull.

mtbr member
    I use Spy Targa 3 goggles and they fit perfect.

CoolArrow
    Quote Originally Posted by coghi View Post
    what goggles are you using?

Oakley "Proven's". They're small and fairly cheap, and fit right in there.
    Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    I'd say it saved my butt, I'm back with a d3 now and didn't do this tonight but rang my bell pretty good.

My Sponsor House

"I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

CoolArrow
    Quote Originally Posted by bullcrew View Post
    I'd say it saved my butt, I'm back with a d3 now and didn't do this tonight but rang my bell pretty good.
    Dang, you did some damage, glad you're okay cause you destroyed that lid. Amazing actually, that you didn't get really hurt.
    Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Whole jaw piece was broke both sides and had stress fractures overb80% of the helmet. Other side was almost as bad.
    My Sponsor House

CoolArrow
    Hit by a car? dang... Was this at a resort or local trail?
    Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard website

Roll on Spring Time!
    Feckin hell BullC - thats some wreck.
    I was really interested in trying one of these but all reports were they run small. I have huge head and find there are only a handfull of lids that fit - remedy, THE and an old D2 I tried a few years back.
    I just want to ride.

mtbr member
    Whaded up of a ladder drop in to rocks down below brake issue sent me down got a concussion and fractured my wrist. Some tape on wrist, ibuprofen @a burrito and diet coke and we were off again riding.
    My Sponsor House

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bullcrew View Post

Since you've ridden both, how does the sizing/fit compare to the D3? From trying helmets on in the store at Snowshoe, I know I fit a large D3 pretty much like a glove, both sizing and fit wise, and I've been riding with a size large Fox Rampage that's about to need replacing. Also, in terms of goggle size, I run some Scott MX goggles that fit the opening of the Fox helmet like someone sent for them, and I think the Fox I've got and the D3 I tried on had similarly sized face openings... just how much smaller in the face opening is the Urge compared to the D3?
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky View Post
    My butthole would pucker and invert until I was inside-out before I got to the bottom.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slyp Dawg View Post
    Since you've ridden both, how does the sizing/fit compare to the D3? From trying helmets on in the store at Snowshoe, I know I fit a large D3 pretty much like a glove, both sizing and fit wise, and I've been riding with a size large Fox Rampage that's about to need replacing. Also, in terms of goggle size, I run some Scott MX goggles that fit the opening of the Fox helmet like someone sent for them, and I think the Fox I've got and the D3 I tried on had similarly sized face openings... just how much smaller in the face opening is the Urge compared to the D3?
    D3 fits alot better, I went from a d2 to the urge then after destroying it I went back to tld. The urge is a good helmet if you have a round head it fits'better then a thinner head goggles fit it fine I wish there was more paddng when I went down but a decent helmet.

The d3 is amazing fits better more padding I went down the other day and head first into some rocks aside of the noise of impact which always makes me cringe the padding was way better I still rang my bell pretty decent .

D3 hands down.....

I'll add the urge is closer to a stripped down d2 but still fits round heads the d3 is better all around.
    My Sponsor House

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    i dropped my D2 for an urge, it simply fits my head better.

I have the L/XL, same size as my D2 xxl was.

For me, its a better fit then the D2, have tried a D3, that fits even better but at 4x the price, ill stick with the Urge for now

mtbr member
    May 2009
    bumping an older thread here. I have a DOM helmet this year and really like it. fits me well, doesn't move around, and also not everyone has one. Thankfully haven't had to test out the impact protection. (knocks on wood).

I do have a question though. After a full summer of riding, how do you clean out the stank? I've washed all the removeable pads, but the liner is still kinda ripe. Its not so bad I don't want to ride with it. I think the liner is the one piece where Urge dropped the ball. With a FF helmet, people are going to sweat a lot. Why did they think a fixed liner was a good idea?

-joel

Uphill? What's that
    Gasoline and a match..

mtbr member
    May 2009
    might not even need gasoline.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have an Urge helmet. I like it alot. I had it lying on the ground beside my bike this weekend, and a dog came by and took a piss 4 inches away from it. I dont think a helmet liner would have helped if it got it in there. Thought I'd sare

mtbr member
    May 2009
    ooh, are you saying cut the liner out?

Members who have read this thread: 1