urban/street/trials tips- Mtbr.com
    soviet pride

New question here. urban/street/trials tips

ok heres my question...

are ther any tips i could get from you guys as too how to balance and hop while being on one wheel. Like what Lenosky and Leech do. I can slightly balance for a short period of time on the back wheel but i dont know how to hop around, per se.

thanks alot fro any advice...
    im all about midget drops

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikepinkbikes
    ok heres my question...

are ther any tips i could get from you guys as too how to balance and hop while being on one wheel. Like what Lenosky and Leech do. I can slightly balance for a short period of time on the back wheel but i dont know how to hop around, per se.

thanks alot fro any advice...
    get your ass over to pinkbike.com and head to the trials section. you'll be happy you did..

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    the most important part for me when I was learning to pedal kick is that rather than pulling up on the handle bars, just swing your weight back over your rear wheel to get the front up. You will be in a much more balanced position this way, other than that I just say its practice

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    also, check out biketrials.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    biketrials.com is a joke. Subcribe to observedtrials.net.
    pay me

soviet pride
    ya like the thing is, i can get the front end up and hold it there for a bit but i dont know how to hop on that one wheel and so if u could imagine someone humpin a bike in a verticle position u just about get the point

mtbr member
    first of al, make sure your pedals are parallell with the ground. you kind have to hop and let off your rear brake and rotate them forward a quarter turn or so (if they areny already there when you get up). then just hop to maintain your balance. it takes hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours of practice. and then a week or two....

soviet pride
    Quote Originally Posted by flatulentfox
    first of al, make sure your pedals are parallell with the ground. you kind have to hop and let off your rear brake and rotate them forward a quarter turn or so (if they areny already there when you get up). then just hop to maintain your balance. it takes hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours of practice. and then a week or two....
    haha ya. So as u say it, u hold the rear brake untill the moment u hop and then u hit the brake again? And do that for every time u hop?

RIDE TO LIVE&LIVE TO RIDE
    1) a real trials bike will help tons. i rode a monty a while ago and it makes it so much easier

2)for pedal kicking, basically get in the lowest gears possible.

3) practice your balance. pratice has helped mine a ton. just get out front of your house and screw around with it.

4) if your bike is a fully, lock out or pump up the shock to harden the rear end because when it is soft, it sucks up you hopping efforts.

doing all the breaking, balancing, hopping, and kicking in one hop takes alot of coordination, so just practice

Renegade of Krunk
    I'm not trying to rain on your parade but Leech makes hopping around on one wheel, etc look like a walk in the park. That is years and years of practice coming together. His section in The Collective is rediculous, that guy is amazing.

However for just messing around, hopping on one wheel takes practice and the forums linked below are good places to get advice. I've been messing around with balancing on my rear wheel, hard stuff. Totally landed on my ass a few days ago, glad I had a good grip on my bars so I managed to keep my bike off the ground.

Then just stiffen everything up as much as possible, you want it to feel and perform like a fully rigid bike so it wont steel any of your momentum.

Practice is the key
    I'm not new to this, I'm true to this

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    a trials bike will help a lot. I learned on a trials bike so now I can pedal kick on my foes fly . Just practice backhopping first without pedalkicking.
    pay me

soviet pride
    Quote Originally Posted by MD Bullit
    a trials bike will help a lot. I learned on a trials bike so now I can pedal kick on my foes fly . Just practice backhopping first without pedalkicking.
    so just hop backwards?...ya im gonna do some mass practice today on it. Either that or ill go build some jumps. Cant decide which i want to prioritise.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikepinkbikes
    haha ya. So as u say it, u hold the rear brake untill the moment u hop and then u hit the brake again? And do that for every time u hop?

no, just release it to get your pedals/cranks paralell with the ground, if they are not already. a bike with super short chainstays, like a trials bike, will make it alot easier.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    i mean backhopping as in hopping in place. Get a good feel for that before you start trying to pedalkick.
    pay me