Upgrading Stock P.2- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2007

Upgrading Stock P.2

Hey guys.. im pretty novice at freeride stuff but was wondering what i can do with my P.2 to make it more of a freeride setup. Right now its all stock! Any input or suggestions on how the bike should be would be nice!

Thanks

mtbr member
    You need this-

mtbr member
    May 2007
    i was thinkin of upgrading the fork .. but a Dual Crown fork Vs Single Crown? I heard Single has more manueverability (sp?)

mtbr member
    awesome, good buy on the p.2! what year?

well your gonna want to do a bunch of stuff, but don't get all money crazy, just sort of replace stuff as you start breaking it or when you realize you NEED to start replacing. First and foremost is suspension. You want to get a good front fork, but DO NOT look to get anything much bigger than 100mm. Any bigger, and you start to throw the geometry out of whack and things start to get haywire. You can get a Marzocchi Z1 and have it slammed by a company, or the Marzocchi 4x is a really nice fork, Manitou Gold Series I and II are nice. I'm assuming you have a DJ? If you do that should work fine for a while, its a bit heavy but holds up decently.
    Brakes were one of the first things I replaced. I went all the way and bought Avid Codes, and they work amazing, but in retrospect I would probably get something a little lighter.
    Pedals are an obvious upgrade. Shop around a bit, I have the Specialized Lo Pro Mag II, and I have 0 complaints about them, and grip my shoes amazingly well.
    The stock wheels and tires aren't all that great as well. Tires depend on where and how you ride, obviously. And it depends on just how big you want to go, but I love my Azonic Outlaw wheelset, absolutely amazing for the price.
    Otherwise, like I said, just wait until something breaks and then replace it. And do what I do. When something does break, just do crazy research, ask a bunch of questions both on here and at your LBS and look at the reviews on here.

oh, and make sure you have lots of fun
    '05 p.2
    tryin to have fun on a college budget, and doin a pretty good job of it

mtbr member
    All jokes aside, The P.bikes are really designed to be a Dirtjump/Street bike, but it could easily be made into a more freeride-ish bike. Put a new fork on it (maybe an RS Argyle?), a stronger wheelset, and ditch the Hayes Sole brakeset for some Code 5's and you'll be good to go.

good luck

mtbr member
    damn, wako, beat me to it. I highly recommend Transition Revolutions. Great wheelset that will seriously kill Azonic Outlaws.

As for pedals, I'd have to recommend Azonic A-Frames, have them and theyre great. Make sure you get some 5.10 shoes too, they glue to feel to the pedals.

Like Wako said, stick to 100mm fork, maybe 120mm. Definately gotta recommend the RS Argyle. Marz 4x and Gold Label are great too.

Tires will depend on if your still going to ride street/urban. Maybe 2 different sets would be a good idea. Get some Holy Rollers for Street, and then some Minion 2.35's or Kenda Nevegal's for the freeride.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks for the info guys... yea im having problems with stickin on the pedals.. bleh .. lol they've already smashed into my shin a few times.. LOL yay.. ok thx dudes! Will any of the upgrades affect the overall weight of the bike? Heavier / Lighter? Im a pretty small guy.. 135 lbs 5'6 .. so like id prefer not to have it get too heavy after upgrades!
    Last edited by Notanemokid; 08-23-2007 at 10:17 AM.

Slopestyle Rider
    Just ride it stock... Maybe put some dh type tires on it. I ride a box-stock P-1 with the exception of some funn 48's and I jump real neat.
    Attached Images Attached Images

EastBaySteez
    Quote Originally Posted by joelalamo45
    Just ride it stock... Maybe put some dh type tires on it. I ride a box-stock P-1 with the exception of some funn 48's and I jump real neat.
    pwned
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

rock hard or hardrock
    Quote Originally Posted by joelalamo45
    wow, thats huge....i hope your P1 is still not SS, is it?
    www.transitionbikes.com

"The journey of 1,000 miles begins with one step" -Bear Grylls

Slopestyle Rider
    I had to put gears on it for crankworx colorado...

Members who have read this thread: 0