upgrading dj, street forks- is there even a reason to?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

upgrading dj, street forks- is there even a reason to?

I just blew the seals(i'm pretty sure) on my "06 marz drop off 4 fork that came on my kona stuff. Some people have said to just replace the whole fork and get a better one for street, dj. Is there even a reason to? Once I get the seals replaced, the fork works just fine. It's easily adjustable by using my fork pump. Why would people upgrade to a marz dirtjumper 1 or 2 or a manitou gold label. Is strength or saving a few grams the only improvements you make after dishing out a couple hundred bucks? I'm probably wrong cuz lots of people do have these forks, I'm just kinda confused and I hope someone can shed some light on this topic. Thanks

Schmeow Productions
    Quote Originally Posted by cummings
    I just blew the seals(i'm pretty sure) on my "06 marz drop off 4 fork that came on my kona stuff. Some people have said to just replace the whole fork and get a better one for street, dj. Is there even a reason to? Once I get the seals replaced, the fork works just fine. It's easily adjustable by using my fork pump. Why would people upgrade to a marz dirtjumper 1 or 2 or a manitou gold label. Is strength or saving a few grams the only improvements you make after dishing out a couple hundred bucks? I'm probably wrong cuz lots of people do have these forks, I'm just kinda confused and I hope someone can shed some light on this topic. Thanks
    the dropoff that came on my friends now pink stp was horrible feeling. he upgraded that as soon as he had $250 and got a vanilla.

mostly people change forks for either weight or stiffness. (fox or marzo, if that helps)

i am selling my marzo because it is too heavy for me and i want something lighter.

if i were you and i wanted to upgrade, then i'd look at a gold label, old sherman jumper or pike (what i am getting)

mtbr member
    Whats' the difference between the Pike 454 types.(besides weight). There is "U-Turn"(4.65 lbs), "Dual Air"(4.08 lbs), and Air U-Turn(4.27 lbs). is the Dual Air (lightest) strong enough for street and dj?

Meh.
    Whats' the difference between the Pike 454 types.(besides weight). There is "U-Turn"(4.65 lbs), "Dual Air"(4.08 lbs), and Air U-Turn(4.27 lbs). is the Dual Air (lightest) strong enough for street and dj?
    Just get an o5. Cheaper, and they make more sense.

It's worth it to upgrade. I hated those forks. Rebound was overly quick, and it didn't feel all that stiff to me at all.

Another option is to get a Sherman and permanently reduce the travel to whatever you want. It's a simple process of spacing out the internals.

Schmeow Productions
    i'm getting an 05 uturn..... the marz is for sale (sorry dhf'r)

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    i just got a 04 c-dale chase n the dj3 is way to heavy n i'm used to my 888 on my other ride, i'm really into the whole urban thang n the acational dj when i can find some good ones, what do you think would be a better choice the pike gold label or sherman? gracias hombres

Portland, OR
    I dont see a reason to upgrade a dropoff. they feel fine and dont top out a lot. i've seen lots of people abuse them. I mean, a sherman jumper or gold label is more my style when it comes to DJ, but I was riding a friends STP it had a drop off comp on it. it felt really good.
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

train gorilla
    Just get new seals and ride the fork till it dies or you get tired of it and want something else. It is a basic fork but you can adjust the travel and use different weight oils to change the rebound.

Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    the marz is for sale
    How much?
    The officer saw the words, "This Bike Is a Pipe Bomb" and became concerned.

mtbr member
    Oh ya, and is the Pike 454 Dual Air strong enough for street and dirtjump cuz it's only like 4 lbs. If not, I wont consider it and I'll look the others.

mtbr member
    I got a question about the gold label. The grind bolt is on the same side as the disc brakes. wouldn't that be kinda bad for the rotor since it would probably be grinding on the same thing the bolt is?

Schmeow Productions
    Quote Originally Posted by ---->SWERVE76<----
    Just get new seals and ride the fork till it dies or you get tired of it and want something else. It is a basic fork but you can adjust the travel and use different weight oils to change the rebound.

How much?
    $350 *8"steerer.

ya, a drop off would get you by, but it was waay too heavy for the 11, now 12 y/o kid that had the stp. so he saved all the dough he could and is still in debt to his parents!!!

seriously though. the only real reason i am getting rid of the marz is because it is too tall. like any other dj series fork. even at 90mm it is way too tall for me, so i am getting a pike and i'm cutting it down to 60-110 instead of 90-140..... so ya, should be tight.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    $350 *8"steerer.

ya, a drop off would get you by, but it was waay too heavy for the 11, now 12 y/o kid that had the stp. so he saved all the dough he could and is still in debt to his parents!!!

seriously though. the only real reason i am getting rid of the marz is because it is too tall. like any other dj series fork. even at 90mm it is way too tall for me, so i am getting a pike and i'm cutting it down to 60-110 instead of 90-140..... so ya, should be tight.
    How do you plan on dropping the travel on a Pike? Just shortening the coil that threads into it? Or what?

Meh.
    I got a question about the gold label. The grind bolt is on the same side as the disc brakes. wouldn't that be kinda bad for the rotor since it would probably be grinding on the same thing the bolt is?
    A lot of street riders don't bother with front brakes, and it's not something you grind on all the time, it's more like a precautionary kind of thing. The side of the rotor MAY contact whatever you're grinding on, but my rotors have ground on plenty of concrete ledges. 8 inch rotors on dual 24s. Good idea.

mtbr member
    the drop off is fine but a better fork like a pike would improve the ride of the bike. i have a scrap that i have now had three forks on. i had a marz mz race, then a stance blunt and now finially a pike sl. the pike has changed the bike so much and this is just a urban/dj/4x bike

Schmeow Productions
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    How do you plan on dropping the travel on a Pike? Just shortening the coil that threads into it? Or what?
    me and zerrosix were discussing this on aim.

he said that you needed to "stretch" the coil out w/ a screwdrive or something *very time consuming

i said that that didn't make sense, but he has a pike, and i don't, so i don't know.

i am going to cut my spring on top of that, so it will have range from 60/70-100/110 one of those....

i think thretching out the spring would let you crank down Uturn more. because all the uturn is is a a cap that winds into the spring,like those yellow mechanical pencils.

Members who have read this thread: 0