Upgrades- Mtbr.com

Thread: Upgrades

mtbr member
    Jul 2016

New question here. Upgrades

Im not new to the sport of downhill i started back in 2013 but i just recently got into regularly back in 2015 and i dont know a lot so i figured this forum would be the best bet. I ride a 2015 giant stance 27.5" and was looking to do a few upgrades to it like getting a new fork that has 200mm of travel, a 1x11 drivetrain, setting it up for tubeless and new hubs. my question is does any fork fit ant mountain bike and would it be cheaper to buy a whole new bike with all this already on it or to upgrade my giant?

mtbr member
    You should not put a 200 mm fork on a giant stance. You'll shear the head tube right off. If you want a 200mm fork then you need a freeride/dh bike. Which in that case 1x11 is not you're going.

Are you riding park? Are you pedaling up a mountain to enjoy your downhill? You may want to consider an all mountain bike instead.
    Current Bikes

2015 Transition Patrol AL
    2016 YT Tues AL

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    i use the bike i have now for all around. where i ride mostly there is a decent amount of up to get back to the car. and i ride park every time i get the chance and would like to get more serious into freeride/dh and thats why i asked because i wanted to know if id be better of just buying a true freeride/dh bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I had a giant stance .......100% purely xc, get a different bike

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I think you are new to downhill. Find some locals with more experience and start riding with them. Then ask them directly advice and listen.

mtbr member
    I think an enduro bike would be best if you're pedaling back up. Look into a Devinci Spartan 27.5 or a SC Nomad 27.5.

If you want to have an XC specific AND a DH specific bike, then look in the used market and test out some DH bikes.

Ttyl, Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by GRPABT1 View Post
    I think you are new to downhill. Find some locals with more experience and start riding with them. Then ask them directly advice and listen.
    Im not new to it just dont know a lot about it. i use to rent bikes when i would go to resorts. i went to a bike store and they told me that a giant stance would be perfect down hill bike. i now know that they had no idea what they where talking about

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Huber24 View Post
    i use the bike i have now for all around. where i ride mostly there is a decent amount of up to get back to the car. and i ride park every time i get the chance and would like to get more serious into freeride/dh and thats why i asked because i wanted to know if id be better of just buying a true freeride/dh bike
    Look into a Canfield Balance..a great do all bike.....you can pedal it and it is a beast on the down hills ....Here is mine
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Upgrades-20160207_114009-1-.jpg  

Upgrades-20160207_114139.jpg  

the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    If you are a one bike do-it-all rider, then get an 160mm AM/Enduro bike. Any of the regulars are amazing bikes, Nomad, Reign, Enduro, but really there are so many amazing 160mm bikes on the market I can't begin to list them. Banshee makes really good 140mm and 160mm bikes. I just bought their 140mm Spitfire as my trail bike, but I also have a sweet dh bike for shuttle or park days. If I was going to own one bike to do everything though, I'd have a 160mm bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    Look into a Canfield Balance..a great do all bike.....you can pedal it and it is a beast on the down hills ....Here is mine
    Is it me or does your chain look slack in that picture?
    Current Bikes

2015 Transition Patrol AL
    2016 YT Tues AL