Upgrade forks & tyres- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Upgrade forks & tyres

Hi all, very new to downhill and i've got a Specialized Hardrock Pro 03 which stock JudyTT forks & whatever the hell tyres it came with. While both the fork & tyres are fine at the moment i want to upgrade to something more serious, just cos i can!

Any suggestions as to what the best forks & tyres would be.

cheers

Ps, i know its a **** bike for any sort fo downhill but its all i got!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Any maxxis tire is good. and any 7" dual crown fork from marzocchi

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Quote Originally Posted by Q-Tip
    Any maxxis tire is good. and any 7" dual crown fork from marzocchi
    are you crazy? its going on a specialized hardrock, i hardtail that is not ready to take a 7 inch fork.

something you'll wanna watch out for on the hardrock is the tire clearance, the biggest i could run on mine was a maxxis 2.35 mofo. i would get a set of 2.3 maxxis highrollers, and try to get a sherman flick.
    JackNugz

Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

mtbr member
    My 0.02 is to get some Panaracer dh pro tires 2.35 pound for pound I like them better then my 2.6 Kenda's..... personaly I'd not dump much money into that ride....ride the bike out...sell and get somthing made for dh/fr if that what you want to get into... I had a xc bike that I tried to just upgrade so I can keep up on jumps drops and the like and all I did was manage to keep braking stuff and waste money.... though I did have a ton of fun

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Quote Originally Posted by Felpur
    My 0.02 is to get some Panaracer dh pro tires 2.35 pound for pound I like them better then my 2.6 Kenda's..... personaly I'd not dump much money into that ride....ride the bike out...sell and get somthing made for dh/fr if that what you want to get into... I had a xc bike that I tried to just upgrade so I can keep up on jumps drops and the like and all I did was manage to keep braking stuff and waste money.... though I did have a ton of fun
    thing is though dude that frame can take crazy amounts of abuse. i dropped mine down tunnel trail in sb about 10 times while it was still stock. my freind ran a drop off triple on his and was hitting 12 foot step down drops and crazy dj's and trails. if you upgrade this bike to a good part spec, then when your done with it you can just transfer it to something else.
    i wish i had a scanner to show some of the pics of people i know on that bike.
    JackNugz

no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by konabiker
    are you crazy? its going on a specialized hardrock, i hardtail that is not ready to take a 7 inch fork.

something you'll wanna watch out for on the hardrock is the tire clearance, the biggest i could run on mine was a maxxis 2.35 mofo. i would get a set of 2.3 maxxis highrollers, and try to get a sherman flick.

My bad. I read it as a Specialized Big Hit, for some reason. I didn't notice it as a rockhopper. As far as the panaracer dh...That's prolly a better choice than maxxis for a rockhopper. I have the fire xc's on my jeckyll, they kick as over any xc - all mountain tire I think. Good grip while not too much roll resist. So the dh should be nice for what you want to do with them. Plus they're cheaper than the maxxis. You can find awesome deals for those tires now around the internet.

I like cars too
    Mar 2004
    with a new fork you should be well on your way to a fun hardtail freeride bike. the frame is dang near a clone of the p series frames.

I have an 03 hardrock ss, and I know a few kids with hardrock pros. they have all had issues with the cranks and bb on thiers. not sure if it was the assembly at the shop or what. my bike has taken plenty of abuse. I have a crap mx comp fork or something like that right now. I want to get a dj as soon as I pay for classes. I have done set-to-sets and dirt jumping and lots of other gaps with my hardrock. I think it is a solid bike. especially for the price. Saving up now for a dj and halo combat wheels.

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Quote Originally Posted by hardrockinG20
    I have an 03 hardrock ss, and I know a few kids of hardrock pros. they have all had issues with the cranks and bb on thiers. not sure if it was the assembly at the shop or what. my bike has taken plenty of abuse. I have a crap mx comp fork or something like that right now. I want to get a dj soon as I pay for classes. I have done set-to-sets and dirt jumping and lots of other gaps with my hardrock. I think it is a solid bike. especially for the price. Saving up now for a dj and halo combat wheels.
    no, the cranks just aren't meant for abuse. i went through 4 sets of cranks and bb's in 2 monthes. what can you expect for 400 dollars?
    JackNugz

I like cars too
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by konabiker
    no, the cranks just aren't meant for abuse. i went through 4 sets of cranks and bb's in 2 monthes. what can you expect for 400 dollars?

yes they are not meant for abuse, but two of those with the problems weigh under 125 lbs. and dont ride all that hard. mine came with hussefelt cranks, i love 'em. they have held up nicely to my punishment.

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Quote Originally Posted by hardrockinG20
    yes they are not meant for abuse, but two of those with the problems weigh under 125 lbs. and dont ride all that hard. mine came with hussefelt cranks, i love 'em. they have held up nicely to my punishment.
    well when i rode that bike i was like 120 lbs.
    JackNugz

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks for all the feedback peoples,
    I'm going to look out for a sherman flick or some dirt jumpers & get a couple of maxxis tyres & hopefully that will make my bike a bit sweeter!
    Cheers

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Bachelor
    Thanks for all the feedback peoples,
    I'm going to look out for a sherman flick or some dirt jumpers & get a couple of maxxis tyres & hopefully that will make my bike a bit sweeter!
    Cheers
    good. i'd stay away from the dirt jumper though unless thats all your gonna be doing. a z1 freeride would be a better option from marzocchi. oh and if you havent allready get a shorter stem.
    JackNugz