Unstable and unpredictable!- Mtbr.com
    nocturnal oblivion

Unstable and unpredictable!

It's with the same wheelset (havocs) as SOCOM FRO, which has more rake in the head angle and a shorty stem.

Question: My Gemini 1000, now on a 45mm w/ 5 degree rise and the new wheelset is squirrely in turns esp. with an unweighted front end. At times it'll catch a rut, flop and send me veering off trail.

Part of it may be due to the lower stability of the lighter wheelset, combined w/ the shorty stem makes for a very snappy front end, even with a 67 degree head angle. I could drop the rear end travel for more rake but...and how much would 20mm in the rear effect the hta?
    Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Should I learn to ride it or go with a 60-70mm? Now I really have to pay attention, no more point and shoot. What's a better way to ride??

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Shorter stem should make it more stable....

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Acme54321
    Shorter stem should make it more stable....
    also lean forward and put more weight on your front end....(trust your bike)
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stumblemumble
    Now I really have to pay attention...
    Oh fugg, what a disappointment.

Equal opportunity meanie
    55-60mm stem with no rise or even negative rise.

nocturnal oblivion
    Serious question: On say the socom with a 67 degree head angle and low gyroscopics in the wheels, wouldn't the front end want to flop over with the slightest steer?

Experimenting can be a pain in the arse. Sometimes a setup may be what I'm looking for but doesn't feel right because I'm not used to it. This is why a consensus is nice, sounds like more weight on the front.
    To me it seems that the 90mm tracks better (more stable) in turns than the 45mm. But of course the 45 is more responsive yet "twitchy" and wants to flop the front wheel over very suddenly.
    I'll try it next week when my shock is back from push.
    Thanks for the help!

PULL
    Sounds like with the 45mm you are shifting your weight further back unweighting the front tire compared to the 90mm which has more weight emphasis on the front tire. Lean forward more with the 45mm.

mtbr member
    If I were you I'd check your tire pressure and give it some more time... sounds like you just changed it. It might take a couple weeks to get used to.

Members who have read this thread: 0