The Ultimate DH Tire.....- Mtbr.com
    Innovate or die!

The Ultimate DH Tire.....

hey,
    What is up with people ranting on the michelin comp 32 2.8. It is lighter than a Maxxis DHF(2.7) and equal to a High Roller(2.7). Plus it has a WAY better wire bead(tubless) and it grips like NOTHING else. Obviously it is not the tire of choice for high speed flat downhill(go comp 16 or 24.1) but weighs just as much, if not lighter, than all tires near its class and Grips like nothing i have ever ridden before(just try one). Can anyone explain why people are biased towards it?(maybe XC weight weenies) Also the demo 8 i am getting in february(laugh but it is only about 5 months...*giggles with glee*....) comes with mavic 721 rims. Is it worth buying the 823 tubeless rims and swapping them along with ditching the specialized hubs(chris king or hadley etc.)? Does the fact they weigh about 100 grams more each outweigh the fact they are tubeless? And finally is tubeless really worth it? suggestions on my tire rant and tubeless are greatly appreciated. thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by j6105; 10-26-2004 at 07:51 PM.

Former Noob Herder
    yeah love the 32s, been running them as fronts for awhile now.

tubless in whatever form with these tires is the only way to go. I would wait on the EX823s, they are supposed to be updating the design (supposidly some have been released) but theres still some confusion about this, and weither there will be an all new model with a new designation (theres a thread on this on Ridemonkey). Some people have been having durability issues with the current version, but the 'pure' tubless system is amazing with UST tires like the Michys.

In the meantime, a ghetto tubless setup works quite well with the Michelin UST tires and the 721, and will only cost you a 20" tube and some Stans sealant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

Innovate or die!

wow...

easily the best response to any post i have had on this site in my 6 or months of using it. The world needs more people like you Zedro. Peace.

mtbr member
    Why not just go with the DeeMax wheelset? They're UST compatible, and the Mavic hubs are pretty nice.

Zedro, mind shedding some more light on the ghetto tubeless setup? I've got the 721's on my Demo and would definatly like to go tubeless, especially if there's a cheap way of doing it.
    ...he said "young man pay heed, you listen well to what i say, now there comes a time for a man to walk away"

Innovate or die!

on further thought....

after checkin the thread at RM and the mavic site, seems to be no major rim changes. Now the hardest question of them all. 32 or 36 hole? Seeing as i will probably will be saving money for the next few months for chris king hubs, i don't wanna screw this call up....... ideas?

mtbr member
    How exactly do the UST tires work? I get the stants thing but I don't know exactly what UST is.

mtbr member
    UST just means that it's a tubeless tire. They're built with a heavier sidewall and special bead so they hold air better, but they do require a tubeless-compatible rim, or one that's been prepared with stan's or some other way to seal the rim surface from losing air.
    ...he said "young man pay heed, you listen well to what i say, now there comes a time for a man to walk away"

(was) Big in Japan

been using that tyre for two years now

and I love it too! These days only as a front, but still rocks. Grip, life-span, braking, and increased cush all make it rule. BTW it is so tough you can run an XC tube in it and save a ton of weight. Also feels more compliant. I have had no trouble with two months of hard DH with the XC tube.
    Ride.

TNC
    noMAD man
    The main reason that most only use it on the front (IMHO) is that it's so freaking big it won't fit (or at least fit safely) a lot of frames. Also the thing has so much gripping traction that you have to be going at a really decent downhill angle or pedaling like crazy to challenge this tire. I used one on the front of a Bullit/Super T setup for awhile, but we didn't have enough sustained, gnarly downhill around here to justify it. The tire is amazing. It's a bullet proof tubeless tire too. That steel bead and beefy carcass make it stone reliable. When I quit using mine, I hung up the wheel, and it sat there for a year set up with a Stan's DH strip and sealant. A year later it still had air in it and a decent amount of sealant--talk about hermetically sealed! I hear they're not that good in mud, but I'm a sissy and won't there anyway.

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by j6105
    after checkin the thread at RM and the mavic site, seems to be no major rim changes. Now the hardest question of them all. 32 or 36 hole? Seeing as i will probably will be saving money for the next few months for chris king hubs, i don't wanna screw this call up....... ideas?
    wasent my interpretation, and still too much confusion. What is clear is that there are two different designs on the market, both EX823s. The sidewalls and profile is different, but no one knows which design they'll get when they order at this point. Also some pros have been running a completly different rim which should show up in next years DeeMax.

you have a good set of hoops right now that are lighter and stronger than the 823s, i would seriously consider waiting (and i'm currently running 823s, and have run 721s (D521s) for a few years.

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by lastminutebastrd
    Zedro, mind shedding some more light on the ghetto tubeless setup? I've got the 721's on my Demo and would definatly like to go tubeless, especially if there's a cheap way of doing it.
    theres been some threads on this explaining it, but basically you take a 20" tube (for a 26" rim), cut it down the middle on the outside, and wrap the tube over the sidewalls. Then install the tire inside that tube (where the excess tube sticks out between the tire and rim), fill it with Stans and inflate. Once everythings sealed and settled, cut the excess tube off. Basically its like making your own Stan's rim strips.

l337 |31k3r
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    theres been some threads on this explaining it, but basically you take a 20" tube (for a 26" rim), cut it down the middle on the outside, and wrap the tube over the sidewalls. Then install the tire inside that tube (where the excess tube sticks out between the tire and rim), fill it with Stans and inflate. Once everythings sealed and settled, cut the excess tube off. Basically its like making your own Stan's rim strips.
    I might not be getting you on this, but wont the tire not get a chance to get its bead in the rim? Or does this matter?
    People call me a dick, but I just think im clever.

Honary member of the
    591 club & 773 club.

Quote Originally Posted by Zedro
    what he meant was 'greaser' types, most likely performing choreographed musical outakes which somehow degrade dirt jumps...

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by Gramatica
    I might not be getting you on this, but wont the tire not get a chance to get its bead in the rim? Or does this matter?
    no it beads the rim, the tube is thin enough and is just wedged between them. Itsno different than Stans, just doesnt have the lippy-thing.

this method is very tire and rim combo dependant tho, some setups are a real pain and just wont work. But the 721/729s with Michelin UST tires work very well.

l337 |31k3r
    no it beads the rim, the tube is thin enough and is just wedged between them. Itsno different than Stans, just doesnt have the lippy-thing.

this method is very tire and rim combo dependant tho, some setups are a real pain and just wont work. But the 721/729s with Michelin UST tires work very well.
    Word. For some reason I was thinking of a heavy duty tube, and it just wouldn't click.
    Thanks man.

Honary member of the
    591 club & 773 club.

what he meant was 'greaser' types, most likely performing choreographed musical outakes which somehow degrade dirt jumps...

l337 |31k3r

Zedro....

Im sorry for the 20questions....

but how does a 20" tube wrap all the way arround the tire? Is it soposta just only wrap -6"?

Honary member of the
    591 club & 773 club.

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by Gramatica
    Im sorry for the 20questions....

but how does a 20" tube wrap all the way arround the tire? Is it soposta just only wrap -6"?
    tubes are made of rubber and rubber is stretchy: stretch it over the rim (not the tire). This is key because it creates a tight fit and further thins the tube out. You dont want the rubber to bunch up or you wont get a good seal.

edit: i have a feeling you are completly missing whats going on. The tube is not to be cut across, but split open so it still makes a hoop. The valve stem is inserted as normal, the tube stretched around the rim (like a rim-strip). Its like running your normal tube inside out.

l337 |31k3r
    tubes are made of rubber and rubber is stretchy: stretch it over the rim (not the tire). This is key because it creates a tight fit and further thins the tube out. You dont want the rubber to bunch up or you wont get a good seal.

edit: i have a feeling you are completly missing whats going on. The tube is not to be cut across, but split open so it still makes a hoop. The valve stem is inserted as normal, the tube stretched around the rim (like a rim-strip). Its like running your normal tube inside out.

Dude....it just now clicked...I get it now.
    stretch it over the rim (not the tire)
    Sorry bout that....im not thinking quite right...had a little spill yesterday...and brain feels "explodey"

Honary member of the
    591 club & 773 club.

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Detailed instructions for the Ghetto tubeless system here:
    http://www.steedcycles.com/newsletter/tubeless.htm

If you search the NSMB boards with the word "tubeless" you will find lots of info about people running the Ghetto version.

I haven't done it yet though. Maybe this winter.

mtbr remember
    So this Comp 32 can be used w/ tubes??? Would it be worth it to run one w/ a tube, or should I stick w/ the BlueGroove DH 2.7 I have, how would the two tires compare, both running tubes?? Will this 32 2.8 fit a Sherman Slider?? Sorry for all the questions, but I've seen this tire around and often wondered about it as a front, but personally don't want UST (no $ for another wheelset) or to deal w/ stan's goop.
    TheSingleGuy - so you run yours w/ an xc tube?? what size - like 2.5 or what?? What rim are you using? fill me in
    Schralp it Heavy.

TNC
    noMAD man

We just put one in a Slider.

Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    So this Comp 32 can be used w/ tubes??? Would it be worth it to run one w/ a tube, or should I stick w/ the BlueGroove DH 2.7 I have, how would the two tires compare, both running tubes?? Will this 32 2.8 fit a Sherman Slider?? Sorry for all the questions, but I've seen this tire around and often wondered about it as a front, but personally don't want UST (no $ for another wheelset) or to deal w/ stan's goop.
    TheSingleGuy - so you run yours w/ an xc tube?? what size - like 2.5 or what?? What rim are you using? fill me in
    In fact the front wheel had to be redished to get the wheel perfectly on center. It is a very tight fit on a Slider or any Sherman. It fits, but you wouldn't want to try and run in any muddy conditions.

Innovate or die!

zedro,
    hate to annoy you with my stupid questions but when do you think they will figure that whole 823 and deemax thang out. My demo 8 pro comes in february so i've got time, i can run tubes till then. Should i wait and hope it all gets straightened out? 32 or 36 hole?

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by j6105
    zedro,
    hate to annoy you with my stupid questions but when do you think they will figure that whole 823 and deemax thang out. My demo 8 pro comes in february so i've got time, i can run tubes till then. Should i wait and hope it all gets straightened out? 32 or 36 hole?
    i'd wait till 2005 when LBSs start getting the new stuff in stock and the internuts come to a concensus. I dont think you can get 36 hole.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    823's Are Weak Wait For The Sun\intense Mag 30 Tubeless Rims Coming Out This Year!

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by wgcviii
    823's Are Weak Wait For The Sun\intense Mag 30 Tubeless Rims Coming Out This Year!
    i believe those will simply use proprietary rim strips. I'm expecting the 823s to be improved to Mavic standards.