Ultimate Budget DH Build- Mtbr.com
    the discerning hooligan

Ultimate Budget DH Build ...DONE

So I scored an Iron Horse Sunday frame for $60 last week. It came with some extras too... Fox DHX5( that saw little use)a Marz 66, headset, cranks, E13 chainguide, and wheels ( with an ultegra cassette and rotors )...$60!! He was actually only asking $50 but I kinda felt like a crook so I threw him the extra $10. The frame had been stripped to be re-painted but the guy just never got back to it. Even all the pivots had been done shortly before it all got put away.

So the plan is to build it up as cheap as I can...full legit DH bike for under $200. The only parts that I can't pull out of my spares are brakes and a seatpost. Do you all think BB7s with the big rotors will give me enough power or will I have to throw down a bit more for the hydros? I have only used the BB7s for rugged trail riding and always set up with 160mm rotors. I ride out at Burke Mt, VT ( upper J-bar and DH plus the park)and some chunky techy stuff I've built here behind the house.

I can build it up nicer later, but since I have a pretty nice ride already this one will probably be mostly a loaner for my friends. Going as cheap as I can is a fun little project for the winter.
    Last edited by MOJO K; 10-26-2012 at 09:53 AM.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

Huffy Rider
    Wow! I thought I had a killer budget build, mine is a far cry from $200 tho. Get real brakes, be patient, a killer deal will come along.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    So I scored an Iron Horse Sunday frame for $60 last week. It came with some extras too... Fox DHX5( that saw little use)a Marz 66, headset, cranks, E13 chainguide, and wheels ( with an ultegra cassette and rotors )...$60!! He was actually only asking $50 but I kinda felt like a crook so I threw him the extra $10. The frame had been stripped to be re-painted but the guy just never got back to it. Even all the pivots had been done shortly before it all got put away.

So the plan is to build it up as cheap as I can...full legit DH bike for under $200. The only parts that I can't pull out of my spares are brakes and a seatpost. Do you all think BB7s with the big rotors will give me enough power or will I have to throw down a bit more for the hydros? I have only used the BB7s for rugged trail riding and always set up with 160mm rotors. I ride out at Burke Mt, VT ( upper J-bar and DH plus the park)and some chunky techy stuff I've built here behind the house.

I can build it up nicer later, but since I have a pretty nice ride already this one will probably be mostly a loaner for my friends. Going as cheap as I can is a fun little project for the winter.
    BB7's with 8" rotors should be fine.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

mtbr member
    this one will probably be mostly a loaner for my friends. Going as cheap as I can is a fun little project for the winter.
    Please think about the safety of your friends.

the discerning hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by howardyudoing View Post
    Please think about the safety of your friends.
    I wouldn't put anyone on a bike I'm not ready to ride myself. The fork will need to be serviced, but besides that this stuff is in way better shape than you can imagine. The rear hub, might be a hope, is so smooth the wheel will start to spin and then pendulum back and forth until the heavy spot on the rim( the weld at the seam) comes to a rest at the bottom. There's zero play and no noise of any kind in the bottom bracket. The frame is stripped so you could see if there are any cracks. The fox shock came off the bike early on in favor of a canecreek so it doesn't have a ton of runs on it. Even the rocker link was upgraded. This guy who had the bike before me is no joke.

I know the BB7s have enough power if you run full housings and decent cables. Modulation and arm pump are the real question marks.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

Crazed Country Rebel
    I wouldn't put anyone on a bike I'm not ready to ride myself. The fork will need to be serviced, but besides that this stuff is in way better shape than you can imagine. The rear hub, might be a hope, is so smooth the wheel will start to spin and then pendulum back and forth until the heavy spot on the rim( the weld at the seam) comes to a rest at the bottom. There's zero play and no noise of any kind in the bottom bracket. The frame is stripped so you could see if there are any cracks. The fox shock came off the bike early on in favor of a canecreek so it doesn't have a ton of runs on it. Even the rocker link was upgraded. This guy who had the bike before me is no joke.

I know the BB7s have enough power if you run full housings and decent cables. Modulation and arm pump are the real question marks.
    fade is the question with bb's. They have plenty of oomph, but they faid when they get hot.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    You practically won the lotto with that purchase. Don't skimp out too much with the rest of the build for the sake of calling it the "ultimate budget dh build".

mtbr member
    Do you have a DH bike now, Mojo? It would be a shame to have such good luck and not build it to its full potential. A couple of tweaks and you have a modern bike. BTW, some kid was killing it at N* last week on that bike.

» Project: Iron Horse Sunday Rebuild - Sick Lines – mountain bike reviews, news, videos | Your comprehensive downhill and freeride mountain bike resource

(*picture from the IH forum)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ultimate Budget DH Build-sunday.jpg  

the discerning hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by ron m. View Post
    Do you have a DH bike now, Mojo? It would be a shame to have such good luck and not build it to its full potential. A couple of tweaks and you have a modern bike. BTW, some kid was killing it at N* last week on that bike.
    I ride a Blindside/ Fox 40/ Deemax set-up...all in prime condition. Don't figure that the Sunday would replace that. Since my wife and I got a place up at Burke/ Kingdom Trails I think it would be nice to keep an extra bike around for when friends come up so they don't have to shell out for rentals.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

the discerning hooligan
    as raw as it gets.

MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

GAME ON!
    sunday might be an upgrade from a blindside
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mini clyde
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    sunday might be an upgrade from a blindside
    +1 ... Sunday/Fox 40 and Blindside/66 would seem better balanced combinations ...

Stand back
    I'd take a Sunday over a Blindside any day. And I raced sport dh in the Mountain States Cup my first year on bb7's. I didn't have issues w/ arm pump or fade on 8" rotors.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

the discerning hooligan
    My Blindside is just where I want it...I know it's not everyone's first choice, but I knew what I was doing when I bought it. It suits my brand of riding well.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves with the Sunday...so far it's still only $60 worth of stuff. There may be a ton of potential, there may not. Time will tell.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

GAME ON!
    My Blindside is just where I want it...I know it's not everyone's first choice, but I knew what I was doing when I bought it. It suits my brand of riding well.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves with the Sunday...so far it's still only $60 worth of stuff. There may be a ton of potential, there may not. Time will tell.
    it's a sunday. we know its potential.
    RIP Adam Yauch

Perpetual Hack
    it's a sunday. we know its potential.
    +1 - if it worked for some Sam guy, it should work for you...

michael
    Hatched in '64
    A Dirtbag since '69
    A Knomer since '07

Knolly Fugitive
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Endorphin
    Knolly Delirium

check your six
    Killer deal man!! I have always liked the Sundays, but never got to ride one. $60 for all that!!, i'd say that's the deal of the year!!
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Hey, if he likes the way the Blindside rides more than the Sunday, let him ride it. I'd for sure take a Blindside over a Sunday any day.
    2011 Custom Transition TR250

the discerning hooligan
    At least I know where to list it if I decide to sell!
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

GAME ON!
    i'll give you $75 right now. instant profit.
    RIP Adam Yauch

the discerning hooligan
    i'll give you $75 right now. instant profit.
    I still need a project for the winter.

But for future reference were you for or against the BB7s?

I suppose the next pressing question is what color it should be? I could keep it raw for the super industrial utilitarian look or something really obnoxious like "dep. of public works orange".
    Last edited by MOJO K; 10-11-2012 at 04:47 PM.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

GAME ON!
    I still need a project for the winter.

But for future reference were you for or against the BB7s?

I suppose the next pressing question is what color it should be? I could keep it raw for the super industrial utilitarian look or something really obnoxious like "dep. of public works orange".
    i use bb7s on my dj and i had to use them on my 5 spot for a couple weeks. they are pretty powerful but i found myself wishing for my hydros again. i wouldn't want them on a dh bike, that's for sure. they were pretty hard to pull and they definitely didn't stop me the way i wanted to. i wouldn't go any less than 203mm rotors but i bet you'd be able to find a cheap set of hydros that work just as well.

i'd stay raw or go highlighter yellow. OR sell me the frame for $100.
    RIP Adam Yauch

mtbr member
    $125 for the frame and parts for me. Let the bidding war begin... lol!

I had BB7s on my trail bike when I first started riding. I disliked how the cables would get stiction after a muddy ride, and I wasn't thrilled about the feeling of the cables stretching on hard braking. Switching to crappy Juicy 3s were a quantum improvement over the BB7... can't imagine using BB7 for DH applications. Will never go back to mechanical, even just for XC apps.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    You need to stop thinking of it as a $60 frame, its realistically worth 10 times that. You should give it a chance, try it out with a decent build. I would probably use the parts from your blindside to build it up, but if you dont want to try that at least put real brakes on it. Its a DH bike, please dont put BB7s on it. And I would leave it raw.

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by Pädi View Post
    Hey, if he likes the way the Blindside rides more than the Sunday, let him ride it. I'd for sure take a Blindside over a Sunday any day.
    Have you ridden a Sunday? Or are you basing that on the age of the frame?

And for anyone who doesn't think bb7's are powerful enough, you don't have them set up/ adjusted correctly.
    Last edited by dbabuser; 10-12-2012 at 09:07 AM.
    Golden Bike Park

GAME ON!
    make it look like this

RIP Adam Yauch

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser View Post

And for anyone who doesn't think bb7's are powerful enough, you don't have them set up/ adjusted correctly.
    And anyone who does think bb7s are powerful enough probably hasn't used a proper dh brake. Nor do they understand the effects of extreme heat on a mechanical brake.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

I have, didn't really like it though, probably because of the **** set up, weighed a ton and suspension was set up **** too. Based on your reactions though, starting to want to ride one properly set up bike.
    The two Blindsides that I've ridden were pretty nice though, fairly light, pedalable uphills and great descender too. Was close to buying one even at one point. Went for a TR250 though.

Well, my vote goes for a nice neonish green with black text. Purple with white text wouldn't look that bad either.
    2011 Custom Transition TR250

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by eedavis View Post
    +1 ... Sunday/fox 40 and blindside/66 would seem better balanced combinations ...
    +1 !!!

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by bengxe View Post
    And anyone who does think bb7s are powerful enough probably hasn't used a proper dh brake. Nor do they understand the effects of extreme heat on a mechanical brake.
    Or maybe I'm not enough of a brake dragger to appreciate a "proper" dh brake.

I've ridden Gustavs, Codes, Oro's, Juicies, XT/ Saints, Ace's, M4's... I'm probably leaving out a few. But as I said previously, I raced a full season of MSC sport dh on bb7's, and never did the brakes give me any real reason to upgrade, other than weight and the feel at the lever. In case you're not familiar with it, the MSC race venues were at Keystone, Snowmass, Telluride, Crested Butte and Angel Fire - all real mountains with a good amount of elevation change. And I weighed closer to 190lbs back then.

And more to the topic - the Sunday frame isn't light by today's standards - that may be an advantage to the Blindside that I hadn't considered.
    Golden Bike Park

Pro Crastinator
    Last edited by .WestCoastHucker.; 10-18-2012 at 05:10 PM. Reason: removed mis-information

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Or maybe I'm not enough of a brake dragger to appreciate a "proper" dh brake.

I've ridden Gustavs, Codes, Oro's, Juicies, XT/ Saints, Ace's, M4's... I'm probably leaving out a few. But as I said previously, I raced a full season of MSC sport dh on bb7's, and never did the brakes give me any real reason to upgrade, other than weight and the feel at the lever. In case you're not familiar with it, the MSC race venues were at Keystone, Snowmass, Telluride, Crested Butte and Angel Fire - all real mountains with a good amount of elevation change. And I weighed closer to 190lbs back then.

And more to the topic - the Sunday frame isn't light by today's standards - that may be an advantage to the Blindside that I hadn't considered.
    Racers tend to be better at braking only when they need to than the average DHer, and using brakes that dont work very well seems like a good way to force yourself to go faster. Heat from dragging the brakes is only part of what Im talking about, though. A brake that you can operate with 1 finger, without overworking that finger, is going to make the bike easier to control safely. For me, the less pressure I have to apply to the lever, the more control I feel like I have over the bars.
    My point is, there are good reasons you dont see mechanical brakes on many DH bikes.

The Blindside is an all mountain bike, the Sunday is a DH bike. Can we stop trying to compare them?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    BB7's are fine for a cheap build just be sure you have decent cables and metallic pads.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    When I was looking for brakes I could find some hydros for the same price as the bb7's total kit (I think that I found some xt's, slx's, and hayes stroker aces for the same price, new, but they didn't last long).

That being said, I've heard from plenty of people that have used BB7's for bigger bikes, but they all eventually went to hydros for one reason or another.
    Just another redneck with a bike

the discerning hooligan
    The Blindside is an all mountain bike, the Sunday is a DH bike. Can we stop trying to compare them?
    So if you need a bike to fill the gap, you could get a DHer and try to scale it back... I chose to go Blindside and built it up a bit.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

buying first bike

So this is somewhat on topic...I am about to go buy this bike in an hour...please help me decide whether this is a good deal for 1300...

For sale or trade Giant DH Team down hill bike large size with very high end upgrades. front fork is carbon fiber inverted manitou Dorado DH 203mm travel. rear shock has 8.25" travel. RaceFace Diabolous X-Type, 38 teeth ..brakes are Hayes prime pro its brand new. also has new maxis minion down hill specific matching front and back 2.5 tires only have one ride on new parts. shifter and derailure is sram x9 hubs are Sun Ringle Abbah DH. rims are mavic EX 729D, lots more to list....this bike has all high end parts and lots of upgrades its been maintained with the highest quality lubes and waxes and the origanal MSRP for this bike was $5500 Now im asking only $1600

is this worth 1300? I am a beginner to " real " bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sepherr View Post
    So this is somewhat on topic...I am about to go buy this bike in an hour...please help me decide whether this is a good deal for 1300...

For sale or trade Giant DH Team down hill bike large size with very high end upgrades. front fork is carbon fiber inverted manitou Dorado DH 203mm travel. rear shock has 8.25" travel. RaceFace Diabolous X-Type, 38 teeth ..brakes are Hayes prime pro its brand new. also has new maxis minion down hill specific matching front and back 2.5 tires only have one ride on new parts. shifter and derailure is sram x9 hubs are Sun Ringle Abbah DH. rims are mavic EX 729D, lots more to list....this bike has all high end parts and lots of upgrades its been maintained with the highest quality lubes and waxes and the origanal MSRP for this bike was $5500 Now im asking only $1600

is this worth 1300? I am a beginner to " real " bikes.
    Can't start a new thread yet? You may not get many responses jacking a thread, but what can you do, right? Anyway, I personally love the DH Team.... there's something about the lines of that bike that appeal to me. BUT, I think $1300 for a 7-year old bike is a bit much. The geometry is a bit dated (and I'm not sure if this frame came with a 1.5 inch head tube so you can make use of adjustable headsets), and an owner of one told me how much of a pain it was to access the shock. There are newer bikes in the market in that price range, you just have to be patient. BTW, you are talking about this bike, right?

BikePedia - 2005 Giant DH Complete Bicycle Team&Type=bike

mtbr member
    Any one Know Where to Get a Bushing Kit for a 6point6?

Custom Wheelbuilder

Definitely agree with this one. A BB7 is lacking in modulation which makes heat build up excessive.
    Check out www.zencyclery.com for fully customizable, handbuilt wheels.

www.facebook.com/zencyclerywheels

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen Cyclery View Post
    Definitely agree with this one. A BB7 is lacking in modulation which makes heat build up excessive.
    Are you sure you've ever tried adjusting a BB7 before?

The ability to change the distance between the brakes pads and the rotor, along with the leverage adjustment at the lever make it anything from an on/off brake to an over modulating brake that can't be locked up.

For more modulation just using the caliper dials: make the outer pad push the rotor over to the inner pad. Conversely, moving the inner pad as close to the rotor as possible makes the brake lock up with less lever movement, ie: less modulation. Add to this the ability to move more or less cable with the lever adjustment can further add or remove modulation, probably moreso than any other disc brake on the market.
    Golden Bike Park

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Adjustability isnt the same as lever feel. I cant believe were still having this discussion, especially about a dh bike.

Stand back
    No, adjustability in this case = modulation, which is what Zen Cyclery was claiming it didn't have. I will concede that lever feel, even with $150 Avid Black Ops levers and fancy cables doesn't match hydros. But honestly, if the slight drag of pulling cables through housing is giving you arm pump, you should work out a little...
    Golden Bike Park

the discerning hooligan

Decisions...

After cleaning her up a bit i've decided I really like the raw look... a little 1500grit and some mothers polish...

Yes I know the polished forks might be a little too much...I've always been OK with a little too much!

For all the BB7 haters....I did order up some cheap hydros for the project...Hayes stroker trails came in at 140.00 front and rear.
    Not a ton of cheap options for the 30.0 seatpost ...it'll be easton
    Shifter and derailleur will come out of the spares box, LX and Slx stuff
    Keeping the wheels I picked up with the bike. The rims have been banged around like a $20 whore but are still round and I think I can get them true. The hubs are real nice and I'd have no problem lacing new rims to them if the bike starts to see a lot of runs. Going with a set of intense tires I have hanging around for now
    Going to jack the King Earl 165 cranks off my trials bike and replace those with some FSAs I've got ( here somewhere?)

Looking like it might end up a little over $300 by the time the last zip tie gets clipped... stil a pretty good deal

Peace K.
    Last edited by MOJO K; 10-18-2012 at 01:56 PM.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

GAME ON!
    still a pretty good deal? a pretty good deal is getting a few hundred off msrp. i don't know if there is a sufficient word for the type of deal this is.
    RIP Adam Yauch

mtbr member
    still a pretty good deal? a pretty good deal is getting a few hundred off msrp. i don't know if there is a sufficient word for the type of deal this is.
    It's a hell of a deal

Pro Crastinator
    i've also got a marz with polished lowers. it was worth it for a month or so, now i wish i had never done it. it requires CONSTANT re polishing just to look good. pretty much after every few rides it's trashed. every bit of liquid and grime spots it right up. it will start to oxidize in no time and will look like crap unless you stay on top of it about once a month...

GAME ON!
    polish + clearcoat
    or
    leave it raw.
    RIP Adam Yauch

Pro Crastinator
    they're magnesium. simply leaving them raw doesn't really work, eventually the oxidation turns them crusty white, looking like old car battery terminals. to the best of my knowledge, clear coating will not stop it either unless you have them powder-coated clear...

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker. View Post
    don't be ridiculous. cable actuated disc brakes don't fade, your soft arms do the fading...
    you're being ridiculous.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

Pro Crastinator
    i stand corrected. i did a little more research on brake fade and fully understand the different ways that can cause brake fade. i was originally under the assumption that fade was caused by excessive heating of he fluid in the braking system. now i realize this is just one way that fade occurs...

GAME ON!
    untreated, uncoated fox 36 after a year including winter riding

i have raw mag pedals as well and they look fine.
    RIP Adam Yauch

Pro Crastinator
    nice. i'll snap a pic of my lowers when i get home. they are hideous...

Crazed Country Rebel
    untreated, uncoated fox 36 after a year including winter riding

i have raw mag pedals as well and they look fine.
    I wonder if they're AL and not mag?

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

Crazed Country Rebel
    i stand corrected. i did a little more research on brake fade and fully understand the different ways that can cause brake fade. i was originally under the assumption that fade was caused by excessive heating of he fluid in the braking system. now i realize this is just one way that fade occurs...
    yah, I dont know the science, I just know after some really long downhills, them things were faded, squeeling and pissed off!

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

Stand back
    I've gotten more fade out of a set of Formula Oro K24's than I ever did out of BB7's.

WCH - how close are you to the coast? Wonder if unprotected mag would do better in the desert.
    Golden Bike Park

GAME ON!
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    I wonder if they're AL and not mag?
    they are certainly mag. they have the yellowish hue of magnesium.
    RIP Adam Yauch

mtbr member
    I did the polished lowers look too and that lasted one ride. Water will stain the polish, and it will dull quickly. Shame too... it looked pretty in the beginning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ultimate Budget DH Build-polished-fork.jpg  

Pro Crastinator
    here are my lowers after about 3 months without being re-polished. i just removed them, that's why there is also oil on them...

GAME ON!
    lame
    RIP Adam Yauch

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    lame
    rofl

Sent from my MZ601 using Tapatalk 2

Pro Crastinator
    lame
    yeah. i'm jealous that yours have lasted so long. i also live in los angeles and have the added bonus of the salt air helping the oxidization right along...

mtbr member
    here are my lowers after about 3 months without being re-polished. i just removed them, that's why there is also oil on them...

I wonder if you were to use some nice automotive grade clear, and coat the living snot out of them after polishing the lowers? I kinda want to strip and polish my marzocchi forks since they are just sitting aound waiting to be used... lol
    Buy a f-ing bike maybe you wouldn't be fat

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Burke mtn!!

the discerning hooligan

done $300ish

From this...

To this...

I still need to rebuild the fork but she's completely trail worthy as she sits.

for the hell of it, here's the Blindside ( that still feels just right)

MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

mtbr member
    Mojo, that is the sexiest iron horse I have ever seen! I love the polished aluminum look! I've always wanted one of those 7.7s, I'm gonna have to see if I can find one used, like you did, and build it up!
    Buy a f-ing bike maybe you wouldn't be fat

GAME ON!
    i have a seatpost that costs as much as your entire build.
    RIP Adam Yauch

check your six
    Outstanding job!!! It looks amazing!
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    i've also got a marz with polished lowers. it was worth it for a month or so, now i wish i had never done it. it requires CONSTANT re polishing just to look good. pretty much after every few rides it's trashed. every bit of liquid and grime spots it right up. it will start to oxidize in no time and will look like crap unless you stay on top of it about once a month...

What tire is that on the front?
    '18 banshee rune

GAME ON!
    looks like a nokian/marzocchi bomber tire. old school.
    RIP Adam Yauch

Pro Crastinator
    looks like a nokian/marzocchi bomber...
    that would be correct...

the discerning hooligan
    The tires are intense edge 2.35.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

mtbr member
    action shots!

the discerning hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by howardyudoing View Post
    action shots!
    Maybe later this week...kinda stormy here in the northeast.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Question for you...where did you get the black link? I used to have a sunday, which I stripped, just after I did the pivots. Had a DHX too. Is the headset an angleset? Regardless, good luck and enjoy.

I wouldn't worry about BB7s. Had a friend DH with them for years. They were set up quite powerful, and fade usually has to do with the system's ability to compensate for heat, which big rotors and big pads do pretty well. I'd probably rather have good BB7s then cheap hydros.

the discerning hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwich View Post
    Question for you...where did you get the black link? I used to have a sunday, which I stripped, just after I did the pivots. Had a DHX too. Is the headset an angleset? Regardless, good luck and enjoy.

I wouldn't worry about BB7s. Had a friend DH with them for years. They were set up quite powerful, and fade usually has to do with the system's ability to compensate for heat, which big rotors and big pads do pretty well. I'd probably rather have good BB7s then cheap hydros.
    The links got painted by a friend with an air sprayer. The headset is a standard step down type(I think from FSA). I was completely ready to run bb7s until I found the hayes stroker trails for cheap.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

the discerning hooligan
    action shots ...all from my backyard run...believe it or not

Last edited by MOJO K; 03-30-2013 at 04:38 PM.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Where in the NE are you?

the discerning hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by danglingmanhood View Post
    Where in the NE are you?
    CT near the MA line.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

bike rider
    Great build!!! I love the polished look on everything!
    My Bikes Kick Ass!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Man, you struck GOLD! sweet project, love the final look.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    this has really inspired me to build my own for as cheap as possible! any idea where i ca nfind e frame for fairly cheap??

GAME ON!
    if we knew, we'd buy one. and then the answer would be no. everyone is "inspired" to get something of great value for next to nothing.
    RIP Adam Yauch

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    lol i wasnt til i read this! i was completely willing to pay upwards of $2,000 for a bike. haha

Members who have read this thread: 1