Ultegra cranks for 4x...- Mtbr.com
    Just Ride

Ultegra cranks for 4x...

i was thinking about running the new ultegra cranks next season for 4x. i would jsut run xt but the ultegra is actually cheaper as well as lighter. my brother pointed out the new hone stuff too but thats a fair deal heavier i believe. do you think the ultegra cranks could hold up to a full 4x season? i dont weigh hardly anything and am a fairly smooth rider however do f-up from time to time. lemme know what you all think. thanks.

mtbr member
    My friend has New style Dura Ace on his BMX race bike. You can only run a 68 bb shell with no spacers. i.c.s.g. chain guides only then. His crank arm rubs slightly on the chainstays. So you cant have too big of a frame either. You should try it and let us know. oh and 38 is the smallest ring you can get, good luck finding a chain guide plate in 130mm bolt pattern beside the FSA carbon ones.

Just Ride
    yeah you bring up a good point about the 130 bcd however i think i could probally get away wiht making the plates my self then just using a mrp boomerang. are you sure that you can only run a 68mm bottom bracket shell? if thats teh case do you know if a race face integrated bb has smaller outter cups (thinner, thus leaving more axle out so that you can run a 73mm shell) did that make any sort of sense?

Rides like wrecking ball
    Quote Originally Posted by zerossix
    yeah you bring up a good point about the 130 bcd however i think i could probally get away wiht making the plates my self then just using a mrp boomerang. are you sure that you can only run a 68mm bottom bracket shell? if thats teh case do you know if a race face integrated bb has smaller outter cups (thinner, thus leaving more axle out so that you can run a 73mm shell) did that make any sort of sense?
    The shorter axle is the reason for only 68mm. Road bikes don't run 73, so they save weight and complication by using a shorter spindle.

Just run XT. Hone if you are cheap like me. Most of Hone's extra weight comes from heavier rings and bolts, not the cranks themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

Just Ride
    yeah tthas what im thinkin. as much fun as it would be to try and make it work.