UCI World Cup DHI - couple thoughts- Mtbr.com
    방랑외국인

UCI World Cup DHI - couple thoughts

1) Aaron Gwin does not get enough credit for his amazing 2011 season. What a shocker, and in only his 3rd year on the circuit.

2) Why call one race the 'World Championship' and place so much emphasis on it? No other elite racing does this, whether its skiing or MotoGP. Its a series with a overall points winner. I thought the Olympics were the big 'one' race.

3) I was checking out the 2012 schedule, getting excited after last year. I think its great America has a World Cup stop, but I am curious of all the choices in America, why Windham, NY? I would think there are many other locations with potential for much larger crowds.
    Last edited by motard5; 10-23-2011 at 07:59 PM.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    1. Totally agree.

2. Also totally agree. Not very different than any other WC round. A rider wins one race and he's World Champ? What about the other 6 races throughout the season?

3. Don't agree. Yeah the potential for bigger crowds might reside in California or Colorado, but those states already get a ton of biking events and culture. The east coast could really use some more publicity and big biking events. New York state doesn't have a whole ton of them (it's Windham, NY btw).

Also, the Windham stop was much liked by riders and Windham mountain staff has a pretty good attitude towards promoting mountain biking. I've volunteered at two races there and it seemed like everyone had a great time.
    Axle Standards Explained

Founder at North Atlantic Dirt, riding & writing about trails in the northeast.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    That's Windham, NY.

방랑외국인
    Quote Originally Posted by Commi_KA View Post
    That's Windham, NY.
    my apologies that was a typo, I meant NY

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Windham is a shorter fly away for all the Euros, that's the #1 reason I bet they get it.

Gwin is the man. Anyone who thinks any of the young guns from this year are gonna take him next year are gonna be in a surprise. The old guard may get beat by them, but gwin is a class of his own.

It will be very interesting to see how D1 gets promoted and freecaster not doing the live casts anymore.

방랑외국인
    Quote Originally Posted by rowdstar View Post
    Windham is a shorter fly away for all the Euros, that's the #1 reason I bet they get it.

The tracks are all around the world such as RSA, so I am not sure if thats the truth. Windham course only has 1K of vertical drop and is 2.5 minutes. If you want to keep it out East, Whiteface Lake Placid has a ton more vertical drop where the run could be at least 4 minutes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkley View Post

The east coast could really use some more publicity and big biking events. New York state doesn't have a whole ton of them (it's Windham, NY btw).
    Well said, I was glad to finally be able to witness a world cup this summer. I agree that there should be more of a crowd but thats to be expected, especially here in NY (DH is still relatively unheard of in NY). Windhams course had some pretty gnarly chutes but there was alot of fairly easy sections littered throughout the course(midsection)

I do agree that Whiteface should be hosting a World Cup event but from what I have heard There is alot of red tape to work around $$ and also another factor is that Whiteface still is protected by the state because its a national park.

Cutting a fresh WC style track top to bottom would involve some serious negotiations even though I have heard legislation could be changing to favor cutting new trails.

That said I think Whiteface is a much more worthy mountain for a WC track and I would still love to see it happen there!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    1) Completely agree, all these people that say the young guns are going to step it next year blah blah blah, i think they will be in for quite a surprise. Yeah Hart won by 12 seconds, but if im not mistaken Gwin was up on him by around 5 seconds when he crashed halfway down the track. I think we are going to see quite the domination over the next few years.

2) Agreed, its kind of lame you have to win that race to wear the rainbow stripes. Aaron should be wearing them, he won 5 races. Danny won 1. Just my opinion.

Also I want to make it clear I love Danny Hart, not just picking on him here. And i am not rooting against anyone, every racer is my favorite racer in our tiny little sport of DH.

3) I can see other locations would draw bigger crowds, but I do know the riders are very pleased with the track/resort/staff/fans. Why mess a good equation up? I imagine that is how they feel. I would love to make it up there next year

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Quote Originally Posted by ruralrider528 View Post
    Well said, I was glad to finally be able to witness a world cup this summer. I agree that there should be more of a crowd but thats to be expected, especially here in NY (DH is still relatively unheard of in NY). Windhams course had some pretty gnarly chutes but there was alot of fairly easy sections littered throughout the course(midsection)
    Not to dwell on it, but Colorado has Crankworx, California has Sea Otter, Nevada (Vegas) has Interbike, Utah has Outerbike. These are all major cycling events that draw in big crowds and help promote the sport. To boot, CO, CA and UT have a healthy biking scene (I've spent some amount of time in each).

I can't think of any east coast events that compare. Diablo (New Jersey) has hosted the U.S. Open a couple times but that's about it. It's not because there isn't great riding. New York has some of the most sadistic technical stuff I've ever laid eyes on. The culture just isn't as developed there. Hopefully a major event like the World Cup might help that. The only drawback is that Windham is in a fairly rural area. If it were closer in proximity to NYC, I'm sure the crowds would be enormous.
    Axle Standards Explained

Founder at North Atlantic Dirt, riding & writing about trails in the northeast.

zombie freerider
    Yeah, that was an amazing season for Aaron. Can't wait for next year. Lots of people are talking about the kids will be taking over but I think the old guys will have a chip on their shoulders and will go out to prove they're not washed up. Yup, Qwin is in his own category right now. def the one to beat.

I hope with DH1 on board there will be more variety of locations for the races - hopefully one in western USA! The UCI should spread the love around instead of nearly the same courses every year.

csermonet - Gwin had everyone smoked by 5+ seconds in timed practice (dry conditions) but in the mud, on the day it counted, he and Hart were pretty close until he crashed. I think if Gwin stayed on the bike Hart would still have won cuz that run of his was flawless and so crazy.

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by csermonet View Post
    ... Yeah Hart won by 12 seconds, but if im not mistaken Gwin was up on him by around 5 seconds when he crashed halfway down the track...
    No, Gwin was down by 1.2sec on Hart at the last split before his crash. Gwin was on it, but I think he would have just fallen short regardless of his crash, Hart's bottom section was one for the ages. Well deserved win on the day for sure.

But yeah, over the season, Gwin was unstoppable. It was a lot of fun following him this year - let's hope 2012 is as much fun. The new series (DH1) looks promising, at least it keeps Freecaster in the game - let us also hope that they solve the broadcasting issues for the UCI WC, so we end up with 12-13 broadcast events for the year.