Tyre advice for hardtail-high volume- Mtbr.com
    Roll on Spring Time!

Tyre advice for hardtail-high volume

Sorry to bother you guys with another tyre post but my tyre experience is pretty limited to maxxis. I have just switched to a hardtail which I am totaly stoked with and think is perfect for my new location-Korea. The only thing I think is letting me down are my tyres. Thinking there would be limited riding options and mostly urban I sold my fully and got a sweet hardtail. I brought a set of holyrollers which are awesome and a set of larsens just incase there were trails to ride.
    Well I totaly [email protected]#*ed up. There are Dh trails everywhere. The trails are super groomed for the local ramblers but are littered with nice obstacles and the rock/root sections are where I am getting caught out. I have pinch flatted more than ever and I need to sort my tyres pronto.
    I really dig my old High roller 2.35 rear minion 2.35/2.5 front combo but I left those in the UK. I have asked the LBS to check if he can get them ordered but I have already seen I can get Kenda nevegals and Blue grooves.
    So my question from hardtail riders is do I go 2.35 or 2.5. I remember reading that kenda runs bigger than maxxis, true? if so then I could consider 2.35 kendas.
    Looking at my larsens and high rollers they seem to have the same volume as my minions/high rollers just different tread. I wish I had my 2.5 minion to use a a guide and sample.
    I dont really want to buy 2.35 just to find they only improve grip and then have to get 2.5s and vise versa.
    Help appreciated and pics attached for reference
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I just want to ride.

General Rabble-Rouser
    I was checking out a set of 2.4 Maxxis Ardents, and I am probably going to go with them

The tread is really similar to the DHF, but the knobs are closer, shorter, and with a small transition knob onto the outside row. They've got a high volume casing too.

Currently I've got a 2.5 nevegal front, and a Maxxis DHR 2.35 with dualply casing. My DHR is worn to hell, and needs a replace, and the 2.5 neve is overkill.

I have just convinced myself to buy Ardents while I write this

Roll on Spring Time!
    Karupshun
    I will send you an invoice for my services. Anybody else need a friend who will lend an ear so you can work through your dicisions?
    LOL
    My choice of tyres is very limited. Kenda seems to be the main thing in Korea and Thailand. There are some Maxxis floating around but not full selection and I will have to have any tyre ordered in so I cant even look them over first. Kendas seem to have mixed reviews. A tyre I would like to get my mits on are the 2.4 Panaracer FRs. Aggresive treads and nice volume.
    I miss my old stock of tyres. I loved coming home and thinking "next ride I will try ......."
    I will look into the ardents.
    I just want to ride.

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    The TTs are good enough. I run a trail with sharp rocks and I have never flatted the one in the rear. A Nevegal 2.35 IMO is good enough for your front, if you can't find a Minion or a High Roller.

Personally I run a 2.6 Nokian gazza Jr in the front and a TT 2.35 at the back. IMO its perfect for some freeride and light DH.

Maybe a Gazzaloddi Dual if you can find one. The only tire you will change is the front.
    Hunter, Simmons, Berrecloth, Watson,Vanderham, Semenuk, Schley, Gulevich, Bourdon, Smith, Moreland, Shandro, Boyko... Bieber.

Still a child inside...
    Ok, hardpack with lots of roots.
    I would go F: Advantage, R: High/Holy Roller
    or Minions, if you think you want more traction

I AM I AM
    The 2.4 Maxxis Advantage is as high volume as they come! I think bigger (taller) than most 2.5 tires.

Still a child inside...
    Yup. I love mine, although it's not ideal in extremely loose terrain, like ours.

Roll on Spring Time!
    I only have a short section of loose dust with stones and then all my riding is hardpack forest trail. Honestly I couldnt be happier with the trails. I think more aggresive tread with good volume will improve my situation. I have using my holy rollers and they are allmost perfect. I put them back on last night and will see how they perform tomorrow. I read the reviews on the Larsens and it would seem loads of riders have had the same tube destroying experince I had. Heading down to the LBS to see what he can order, gonna ask about the advantage and panaracer 2.4 FR.
    I just want to ride.

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    Are those tube-buster Larsens the wire or the folding bead versions?
    Hunter, Simmons, Berrecloth, Watson,Vanderham, Semenuk, Schley, Gulevich, Bourdon, Smith, Moreland, Shandro, Boyko... Bieber.

Roll on Spring Time!
    Wire Larsens
    I ran a higher psi on my last ride and no flats but they just dont feel right. Best way to explain is that I feel like I am riding on my rims sometimes. I had to bring my outlaw wheelset as I didnt get my Hope pro2s onto new rims before I left. The outlaws are wide and the larsens may not be spot on as far as fitting goes. Tonight I am riding the holyrollers so I will see how they feel.
    I just want to ride.

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    I am at the opposite of your situation: Holy Rollers first before switching to Larsens. It does feel small, but I like the new found agility of a smaller tire at the back.

If you have the Holy Roller 2.2, I think that would be great, provided you do don't do much mud riding.

...idios...
    I run Specialized Chunder 2.30s on my SubZero. The have very good sidewalls and stay firm even at low pressure, yet still roll pretty easily. I run as low as 22-25 PSI on the rear. The Maxxis High Roller 2.35s don't feel anywhere near as firm or stable at anything below 30 PSI, although that is the lower limit stated on the sidewall so it's not really a criticism.

What use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings? -
    Diogenes

mtbr member
    Well I too sold my fs bike a while ago to use a heavy hardtail for the majority of my riding. I spend most of my time riding the most rocky/rooty technical trails in the eastern US(the smoother trails look simliar to your pictures), so I'll give you my advice from what I've learned. I am currently running 2.35 kenda nevegals. I have found the most important thing is get the pressure correct for your body weight. It takes some trial and error but when you finally get it you will be blown away. It almost feels like you have a little bit of suspension under you and the traction is incredible. I weigh about 190lbs and have been told I'm a very smooth rider and I am happy with around 28psi in the rear tire and 25 in the front. I never pinch flat. I've used the 2.5 nevegals on this frame for lift assisted DH and again, no cuts or pinch flats.

I actually am planning on going to 2.5 tires when I wear these out.

I would advise you stay away from true DH tires. They are just unnessesary and add way too much weight. Look for very light 2.35s or 2.5s. Here are some that have worked well for me that have the high volume but aren't very heavy for what they are.

2.35 hutchinson spiders
    2.30 hutchinson barracuda
    2.5 IRC trail bears
    2.4 panaracer fire FR
    2.35/2.5 kenda nevegal
    2.5 bontrager big earls

I've never tried maxxis tires as I can only find them for around 50 USD a tire and I just can't justify the significant extra cost. I beleive the most expensive tire on the list I provided you is the nevegal which can usually be found for 35$. The spiders, barracudas, Fire FR and IRC trailbears can usually be found for less than 20 USD. If you are riding only on those trails you showed in the pictures I strongly reccomend kenda's STICK-EE rubber. When those roots and rocks get wet, you'll be thankful you have it. But if you ride on the road at all, avoid them as they'll wear out quickly.

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK
    I run Specialized Chunder 2.30s on my SubZero. The have very good sidewalls and stay firm even at low pressure, yet still roll pretty easily. I run as low as 22-25 PSI on the rear. The Maxxis High Roller 2.35s don't feel anywhere near as firm or stable at anything below 30 PSI, although that is the lower limit stated on the sidewall so it's not really a criticism.
    Chunder 2.30s? Those things are huge for their listed size, It was supposed to go as my rear tire in my hardtail but I found out it won't fit!

...idios...
    "Chunder 2.30s? Those things are huge for their listed size..."

I measure 62mm from edge to edge of the side-knobs, which is pretty much 2.4 inches. Shame they won't fit; outstanding tyre.

What use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings? -
    Diogenes

Members who have read this thread: 0