Two Racing Questions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Two Racing Questions

I only race Super D, but I have no idea what forum that would fit it, so I trust this crowd more.

1. Right now I ride SPD pedals of one type or another for all of my riding. I feel on some courses where there are many loose, off camber turns I would benefit from riding platform pedals.

What advice or changes I will have to make in going from SPD to platforms? I almost feel like I don't know how to ride a bike the few times I've tried it, but I am willing to give it more effort if it really is "the way to go".

2. What do you feel is the difference between Beginner and Sport class gravity racers? I have overall been top 3 for the season in two different Super D series, but I feel I'm actually in a medium fish/small pond scenario.

Background, I've only ridden SPD pedals since getting a mnt bike. I have no BMX background. This is my first season racing. I am in my 30's and compete in more than one sport.

Thanks!

外国人
    Jun 2007
    in my opinion, stick with 1 style of pedals ie. SPD or flats so that you can get better at it.

decide first and then stick with it, its all personal preferences. for the pros and cons, just use the search button, there are a ton of posts about that.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A Select Start

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    i guess i am not too concerned about what the pros and cons are of each pedal, but how to best adapt going fron spds to flats.

and of course question #2.

mtbr member
    I'm a hardcore SPD guy (used to race DH on them MANY years ago). But, recently when I hit lift access areas or shuttle with the "crew", I throw on a set flats.

The biggest difference I noticed was relearning how to jump. I had the (bad?) habit of pulling the bike up under me with my clipped in feet when I hit a jump. I did that once on flats and almost killed myself as my feet were nowhere near any pedal when I landed. One day of screwing around on Crank It Up at Whistler solved that problem. I needed to break the habit of sucking up my legs so much off the lips of jumps.

The other big difference is blasting out of corners really hard by pedaling. If you like to pull up hard to accelerate, that ability is gone. On super steep courses, it doesn't matter. On more flat courses, it can be an option that's missed.

EDIT: as for the difference between Sport and Beginner, that's regional dependent. Do Beginners run the same course as Sport? If so, go pull the results for the last few races and compare the times. You'll know pretty quick where you'd fit in.

Members who have read this thread: 0