Turning radius: 888 and AS-X- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Turning radius: 888 and AS-X

i've posted this on the yeti forum, but wanted to get overall feedback and see if anyone has expereince with 888's on a yeti as-x. i'm worried more about the turning radius than the head angle, as i might just go with a 170mm. issue is, the as-x has a 1.5" head tube and the dual crown seems like it might be a tight fit.

a buddy of mine is running a 888 on a vpfree and turning radius is manageable but not great. i see that the fox 40 is wider and maybe has less rake at the top and more at the bottom, allowing for a better turning radius? not sure, can anyone confirm?

Thanks, and ride on.

M
    Last edited by misctwo; 01-25-2005 at 01:27 AM. Reason: wrote the wrong head tube size for as-x

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by misctwo
    i've posted this on the yeti forum, but wanted to get overall feedback and see if anyone has expereince with 888's on a yeti as-x. i'm worried more about the turning radius than the head angle, as i might just go with a 170mm. issue is, the as-x has a 1.5" head tube and the dual crown seems like it might be a tight fit.

a buddy of mine is running a 888 on a vpfree and turning radius is manageable but not great. i see that the fox 40 is wider and maybe has less rake at the top and more at the bottom, allowing for a better turning radius? not sure, can anyone confirm?

Thanks, and ride on.

M
    Well, I'm not sure what's the answer to your turning radius concerns, but I'll know soon enough - I will have a 888 on my AS-X in a day or so, and can post a pic or two then.
    And as far as your concern about the head angle - are you saying you're worried it would be too slack with a 200mm 888? I don't think so, as I currently have a 170mm Breakout Plus on it and find that I don't feel too comfortable in very steep sections, that's why I'm going to a 888.

Arek
    Arek

mtbr member

Yeah???

Quote Originally Posted by Arek
    Well, I'm not sure what's the answer to your turning radius concerns, but I'll know soon enough - I will have a 888 on my AS-X in a day or so, and can post a pic or two then.
    And as far as your concern about the head angle - are you saying you're worried it would be too slack with a 200mm 888? I don't think so, as I currently have a 170mm Breakout Plus on it and find that I don't feel too comfortable in very steep sections, that's why I'm going to a 888.

Arek
    Arek
    Well, golly gee....that's something! in that case i might just do the 888. apparently there's a store near me that's selling the 04 888's, 200mm RC version for $600. no lie.

Uhhhhh...

Arek
    Arek
    You also gotta remember your adding about 2" in A-C height on your bike.

-TS
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

mtbr member
    just get a single crown 888

singlecrown 888 = 66

then you have no problems, you get to save too

mtbr member

888 666 866 86686 666............40!

Quote Originally Posted by ice_kha
    just get a single crown 888

singlecrown 888 = 66

then you have no problems, you get to save too
    that's the "prudent" thing to do. but i am no prude!

mtbr member
    oh ok

well you should get any problems with the 888, there is a bit less turning radius but not that much

mtbr member

Thanks, and ride on.

M
    I am running a 888 on my Knolly V-tach (1.5 HT) and have no problems with turning radius at all so I dont think it will be a funtion of the headtube limiting turning radius.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Arek
    Arek
    You're kidding right. I used to run a breakout 170mm on my AS-X and never had any problem with steeps. I personally think the 200mm 888 will be too much fork for the AS-X.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks, and ride on.

M
    Krispy has a 7" 888 with our Lowrider crowns on his ASX. Drop him a line, his addy is [email protected] , he should be able to answer whatever questions you have (although his typing skills are not exactly top notch, his experience and knowledge are).

www.Go-Ride.com
    866-467-4334

The Gnarchitect Sketch.
    Quote Originally Posted by James @ Go-Ride
    Krispy has a 7" 888 with our Lowrider crowns on his ASX. Drop him a line, his addy is [email protected] , he should be able to answer whatever questions you have (although his typing skills are not exactly top notch, his experience and knowledge are).
    I've never ordered anything from go-ride, as I have a great relationship with my lbs and rarely do mail order, but I gotta hand it to you james, you're always on-point and helpful as all get-out. You're doing a good job at dispelling the rumour that mail-order has to be faceless and impersonal and not provide good service. Its good for your business and for customers that you're on here and so helpful, guys like you and brian peterson (I'm sure you're familar, the zocchi tech guy who'll occasionally chime in to settle debates) are giving us all evidence of the mtb industry's "small world" characteristics. Good on ya!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Posernewbie
    You're kidding right. I used to run a breakout 170mm on my AS-X and never had any problem with steeps.
    No I'm not. I think that for pure DH application, AS-X's head angle is a bit steep, even with 170mm Breakout Plus. But that's my personal opinion. You may not feel the same way, and that's fine.
    I do realize that being a freeride platform the head angle on the AS-X wasn't designed to be as slack as on some other DH specific frames. I think that a 888 will give it a perfect angle for fast and steep DH sections.

And, on a related subject, I may be wrong here, but just from studying pics, it appears to me that AS-X has the steepest head angle out of all comparable 1.5 frames.

Arek

mtbr member

right on

Quote Originally Posted by James @ Go-Ride

i've been speaking with Krispy for the past week, and ordered the fox36, but replaced the order with the fox 40 through you him/you, and yeah he definitely knows his stuff. he was able to speak from experience for almost all my questions. very knowledgable too. he helped me on fox40-hope m4 compatibility issues.

I decided to go full bore and go for the 40--adjusibility in 1/2" increments from 6" to 8", lighter weight, and fatness is a good thing. Good shop you guys are running out there.

M

RM7
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    Well I hope my picture posted, if not, sorry, but here's my new ASX with the 2004 888's and the Go-Ride lowrider crowns. I personally like the ride, and the front end is lower like this than with a 66RC fork. as far as turning radius is concerned, well, I never really notice it being a problem, ....just go straight and fast!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

RM7
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    forgot to mention,....GREAT service from Go-Ride. love the frame & ect. Thanks guys

mtbr member

yep yep

Quote Originally Posted by RM7
    Well I hope my picture posted, if not, sorry, but here's my new ASX with the 2004 888's and the Go-Ride lowrider crowns. I personally like the ride, and the front end is lower like this than with a 66RC fork. as far as turning radius is concerned, well, I never really notice it being a problem, ....just go straight and fast!!

str8 'n fast, what's that mean??

yeah that's i nice bicycle alright. if i'm not mistaken that looks like a shot peened finish, not gloss like the others(unless you oiled it down??) i almost bought a 888 myself for my as-x but went full bore and got the fox 40-it's already got lowride crowns right outta the box...

RM7
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    Originally I was told the 2005 ASX's were anodized black, I wouldn't call it anodized though, there are a few changes from the 04 to 05 model, (colors, cable routing) I actually had them parts on my RM7 frame that I broke, and I wasn't ready to buy a new fork yet (singlecrown) after I got the 888's, that's when I decided to give the lower crowns a try, so the frame is new in that pic, no oil.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks dood. Hey we put that pic of your bike up on our photos page, hope that's cool.

www.Go-Ride.com
    866-467-4334

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

AS-X sizing

I am looking at possibly getting a Yeti AS-X, but I am concerned about the size of the frame, according to Yeti, I will need a medium frame, and that is a 19 inch frame, but I think that might be a bit long. So I was wondering what size of frame you guys are riding and how tall you are? thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody
    I am looking at possibly getting a Yeti AS-X, but I am concerned about the size of the frame, according to Yeti, I will need a medium frame, and that is a 19 inch frame, but I think that might be a bit long. So I was wondering what size of frame you guys are riding and how tall you are? thanks
    Long, as in top tube length? 23 inches TT might be a bit larger than normal.

i am 5-10 and have a medium; i slipped on an old fork during my build and seems like it's a big medium.

remember, the 19" measurement is from the center of the BB to the top of the seat tube. the seat tube mast runs almost 3 inches up from the center of the top tube.

my inseam is 30-31, and i think with 2.6 tires, my sack will be resting on the TT six inches from the seat tube. so yeah, the as-x does run a little large, esp. if you've got more than 6" travel up front..

RM7
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    James, no problem, glad to hear it.

Members who have read this thread: 0