Turner Rail or Cannondale Chase?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Turner Rail or Cannondale Chase?

I'm currently riding a chase built with a 100mm travel for and 26 inch wheels. I'm considering changing just the frame to a Turner Rail since I can probably get one for between 8 and 9 hundred. I know the rail would be better for slalom, and could even be ridden as a trail bikes and is great for dirt jumping, but as far as park and urban, I'm not sure. Please tell me your opinion. Thanks.

Uhhhhh...
    Quote Originally Posted by tisibrad
    I'm currently riding a chase built with a 100mm travel for and 26 inch wheels. I'm considering changing just the frame to a Turner Rail since I can probably get one for between 8 and 9 hundred. I know the rail would be better for slalom, and could even be ridden as a trail bikes and is great for dirt jumping, but as far as park and urban, I'm not sure. Please tell me your opinion. Thanks.
    Uh, do you want a HT or FS?

-TS
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSherpa
    Uh, do you want a HT or FS?

-TS
    Well, I have a HT, and am debating on changing to a FS. So, I made this post to get opinions on which bike is better for which things.

Reels & Wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by tisibrad
    tHE ONLY THING THE RAIL IS BETTER FOR IS OUT ON THE TRAILS. iT WILL SUCK FOR SLALOM BECUASE IT IS TOO HEAVY. On the other hand, your Chase may have too steep of a head angle for downhill tracks. For urban & park it is hard to beat what you already have. The Rail will be unridable in these scnearios because of sluggish handling and heavy weight (8.5-9 lbs.). If you are casing dirt jumps a lot any FS will be easier on your body.
    Last edited by dv8cam; 12-07-2004 at 02:51 PM.

Generation X freerider
    the chase is way better

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Not to belittle anybody's opinions here, but the weight of the Rail isn't going to hamper it in the park. Anybody here ever own a flatland/park BMX bike? I had a Dyno Detour when I was 17 - 19 and the thing was a freaking tank, like 42 pounds out of the box. The downside of a full-squisher in the park is that it's harder to pump tranny with the suspension, and as a rule of thumb bikes with suspension are longer than rigid bikes, and very few cement or wood parks are built with any thought of an MTB wheelbase in the tranny. Dirt jumps aren't always this way, if you ride somewhere that has a lot of guys on mountain bikes doing the digging.

For what it's worth, I had my DMR for about 6 months before I sold it. Maybe I'm just a putz, but I don't like riding hardtails at the dirt jumps. I don't go often enough to make the transition every day from a big bike to a hardtail, and it can be dangerous to try and ride at the park (whether dirt or cement) if you're not comfortable on a hardtail.

I don't know what advice to give, really. The Rail is a sick bike that will last through many seasons of abuse, but if you're not into a bike purpose-built for 4x racing and are going to spend a lot of time in the pipe, then the Chase might be a better bet.

www.Go-Ride.com
    866-467-4334

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I have a Rail and i love it. As an all around aggressive bike, it would be hard to beat. Especially for how cheap they are going mail order right now.

If you do most of your riding in the park and like to do things like stalls and grinds, I would stick with the Chase.

mtbr member
    If you live near DH then get the fully. Otherwise stick with the HT they jump better and pedal better. Personally I would keep the HT. If you ride a HT you get better at riding.
    www.hope.co.uk