tuning a 07 66 rc2x- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

tuning a 07 66 rc2x

I just got these babies and need help on fine tuning them in.
    I have them on a 7.3 IH 06
    they still need to be broken in,I haven't checked oil levels yet but this will be the first thing I do I heard that 60mm is were I need to be from the top od the crown is this true?
    next would be the air in the legs do I fill both or the left leg only?
    next would be the knobs I understand the right top knob is for the rebound and the lower right knob is the low end compresion is this for bottom out?
    the left top is for the high speed compression and is used for the small bumps correct?
    so after the oil check and the air to achieve proper sag is done then where to begin?

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Great fork. I've spent some time on a 06, only difference is 10mm of travel/axel to crown height.

The compression knob on the top is for high speed compression at the end stroke i.e. bottom out. The knob on the bottom of the other leg is general compression that you tune for the smaller high speed bumps. (baby-heads ect.) Then you have rebound at the top of that leg...

You can put air in both legs, but I only use this for setting sag as it's basicly a pre-load adjuster. (spring rate) I weigh 195 and for my personal taste, only put a touch of air in one of the legs. Put a zip-tie on one stantion and use it to measure the sag in your "attack" riding position and adjust the air chamber until you have the desired amount. I like mine to sag 1.5 to 2 inches. ( Again for me, I attach the shock pump and fill until I BARELY feel resistance. Any more and it just seems too stiff.)

Assuming your oil height is close to the right level, you can fine tune from there. I actually run about 30cc's less oil than Marzocchi says to, with no serious bottom out problems... (I couldn't measure oil height, so I drained and measured how much was in there.) Hope I helped.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

Roll on Spring Time!
    uncle, i have been running zero air in mine at 185lb, but i have been checking sag in seated position. you say attack, so like standing and kness bent etc. i tend to run my low speed firmer for pedalling/freeride/jumping and trails or it just bobs and dives, and then fully soft for downhill. then i just use a cable tie to get bottom out setup ie:full travel on biggest hit but zero bottom out. if i add a little air that might help with bobbing when pedalling?
    I just want to ride.

Mi vida es bueno
    AWESOME forks, I have em on the same bike. Uncle cliffy pretty much summed it up, now go enjoy the awesome squisheyness!

mtbr member
    have you changed your oil at all,what was the mm after you changed the oil or checked the oil,this is after you have the fork compressed and no spring?

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by juan pablo
    uncle, i have been running zero air in mine at 185lb, but i have been checking sag in seated position. you say attack, so like standing and kness bent etc. i tend to run my low speed firmer for pedalling/freeride/jumping and trails or it just bobs and dives, and then fully soft for downhill. then i just use a cable tie to get bottom out setup ie:full travel on biggest hit but zero bottom out. if i add a little air that might help with bobbing when pedalling?
    Yeah. If you're just sitting on the bike, it doesn't split the weight evenly front and back. You have to be careful to not lean too far forward also. (When you measure sag.) At 185 you could use a touch of air I think. Like I said before, it's a VERY touchy adjustment. Try adding a little to one side and see what you think.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by hospitalair
    have you changed your oil at all,what was the mm after you changed the oil or checked the oil,this is after you have the fork compressed and no spring?
    Yeah I've changed it. You'll be happy to know that these don't seem to foul oil as bad as older 888 forks. (I had an 04 888 and every time I poured the oil out the rebound side, It looked like molten steel sludge. On my 66, it's had a dark tint, nothing more.)

I haven't removed the springs from my 66. You don't need to. Get a cassette removal tool and unscrew the top caps. (remove air first) After I unscrew the caps, I compress the fork just a tad, and pour the oil out the top. I'll cycle plenty of times to get all the oil out and rest the fork upside down for a bit. ( I used two milk jug bottoms to measure each leg separately the first time for measuring.) My levels are around 150cc's in each leg. I measure with a ratio-right. Marzocchi recommends 190cc's for my weight, and unless there's oil in the bottom of the fork, I've replaced it with 150. (Note, the first time one leg had 120, the other 130.) I've toyed with a complete tear-down my next oil change, but mostly because I want to paint the lowers.

mtbr member
    I filled them at 155 cc and it seems to do great thanks for posting I do appreciate.
    I've posted on some other forums and I tell ya for two days no has posted one single comment this forum rocks my vote!

Members who have read this thread: 0