tubeless question - burping risk?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

tubeless question - burping risk?

I see a couple other relevant threads, but don't answer quite the same question, so here goes:

Is there reason for concern about burping (or other tubeless-related failure) when taking my current setup on lift served terrain?

Running now Stans Flows, Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.4 Snakeskin, tubeless with stans, on a Mojo HD. Run 22/25 psi F/R, I'm 160 w/o gear. I've had great luck with it riding Bay Area trails since I got it in January, but Tahoe and Northstar are going to be a big step up in rockyness and bigness over annadel and demo, for example.

The reason I am wary about this is that last year I racked myself pretty good (concussion and broken rib) after burping a tire at Jackson hole and then washing out on the transition on the next jump. That was riding my previous trail bike, with 2008 shimano XT wheels (19mm width, I think!) and 2.35 schwalbes.

The wider Flows give me more confidence in the setup, especially managing a couple hard angled landings. But has anyone else had issues when taking this or a similar setup into a more aggressive terrain?

(this is part of a larger question about whether to rent a big bike instead of beat on my pretty mojo on DH terrain, but for now I'm most interested in opinions on the tire question).

Thanks!

Look at the time!
    Those tires seem a bit flimsy for places like Northstar. If you ride anywhere near what could be considered "fast", with 22/25psi and those single ply tires, you will dent the hell out of the flow rims (which aren't all that dent-proof in the first place).

My DH rig has a Stans Flow front rim with the yellow Stans strip, 100ml goo, a Minion DH Dual Ply and about 24psi. It holds up great, has never lost any air while riding. When I hit sharp rocks, I sometimes see wet spots on the sidewall, evidence that some fluid has spit out, but I have never lost any air pressure. The Flow rims seem to hold those tires on pretty well.

I also used to have a Flow in the rear, same setup, but the rim folded after hitting too many rocks. Got a Mavic 823 now, it's a tank compared to the flow and hasn't even got a single dent so far.
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

Members who have read this thread: 0