Tubeless Problems- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

New question here. Tubeless Problems

I can seem to get my tires to seal on my 823s. The bead of the tire is too far away from the rim that the air just escapes and the tire never inflates. I tried to let the tire sit on a rim with a tube in it to let the beads spread, but it still won't seal. I am running Kenda Excavator and Nevegals in 2.5 wire bead. Any suggestions to help me with this problem?
    Go BIG or Go HOME

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Lube the tire bead and rim up good with some soapy water...I have mounted several UST and regular tires tubeless, and soapy water always helped.

Commit or eat sh!t
    You need to use compressor or those CO2 cartridge pumps to get those beads to move toward the edges. Hand pump won't do it. Use Stan's and lots of soapy suds.

Meh.
    Use dish soap and water. Apply generously around the bead area. The bubbles will help trap air. Using a compressor also helps - the gas station compressor most likely will not do.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    the easiest way to do it is stick a tube in there and pump up the tire. Since the 823 are a locking bead rim the tire locks in. Then only de-bead ONE SIDE of the tire. Pull out the tube, put in your stans and your UST valve stem. When you go to inflate either hold the rim, or hang it from something. Whichever just so that theres no weight on the tire. If you do that it will deform the tire and cause it to not seal.

I do it this way everytime and never have to use soapy water or anything. This has worked for both wire and kevlar bear Nevegals for me, no problems.

mtbr member

wire bead

Quote Originally Posted by CountryBoy
    I can seem to get my tires to seal on my 823s. The bead of the tire is too far away from the rim that the air just escapes and the tire never inflates. I tried to let the tire sit on a rim with a tube in it to let the beads spread, but it still won't seal. I am running Kenda Excavator and Nevegals in 2.5 wire bead. Any suggestions to help me with this problem?
    The only problem I ever have is when the wire in the bead may be "bent" (for lack of a better term).

I notice this sometimes happens if I take a tire off and put it back on...take it off...put it back on....the constant "stretching" of the bead prevents it from locking down tight again.
    Mostly it is just one little area...perhaps where I used a lever??

trail addict
    One tip I got from a 4x4 magazine to seat a bead...

Put a tie-down around the circumference of the tire and cinch it good and tight. As the middle of the tire deforms slightly, the bead/sidewall will be forced snug to the rim. Then I give a shot with a CO2 cartridge. Don't get crazy, take the tie-down off as soon as the bead is set-it will be very tight, so be careful. Then i finish with a hand pump. Oh, by the way, I use schrader, so I take out the valve and already have the stan's/slime in there before I start inflating.

Disclaimer: this may not be entirely safe, but then again, neither is mt biking! I use a nylon strap that is in pretty good condition. Your results may vary.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

Bottlerockin'
    Slightly OT...my apologies.

My Stans sealant should be coming mid week, but using presta tubes with my 823s is giving me some problems setting the beads evenly...
    The tires have a small wobble to them.

When I set them up tubeless later this week, I'll use soap to help set them straight...think this will help?

mtbr member
    C'mon people. I am suprised no one has mentioned the "ether" technique!

N* Bomber Crew
    Try using Stan's Tire Sealant and using an air compressor.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

Glad to Be Alive
    use an air compressor.... bounce the rim against the ground...spin around a little....use stans
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wormvine
    Ha!! Your in my head. I was going to suggest the same. Works well for quad tires.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Kenda tires have a pretty rigid casing. It's "harder" than a lot of tires out there, so it's not going to form as easy. Like others have said; air compressor is bueno. You'll need a shot of air to get the bead to the inner profile of the rim. Also, Stans is as good as soapy water IMO...
    Please elaborate...
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

Glad to Be Alive
    sheesh....never have any....I DRINK IT !!!!!
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Are Maxxis non-tubeless tires better than Kenda non-tubeless for tubeless setup?
    2008 DHR
    2007 STP

Bottlerockin'
    Uh ohh....
    I'm having exactly the same problems CountryBoy described in the original post. The bead of the tires are too far away from the sidewall of the rim to make any sort of seal. I'm using Stans also...

Any word?

Meh.
    I used Stan's, but I still had to use soapy water. The gap between the bead and the rim was too large. The soapy water blows up bubbles. The bubbles helps to trap the air for long enough that the bead seats.

The Stan's website has a great write-up/video.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by coiler8
    Uh ohh....
    I'm having exactly the same problems CountryBoy described in the original post. The bead of the tires are too far away from the sidewall of the rim to make any sort of seal. I'm using Stans also...

Any word?

just have to keep re-adjusting tire position to the air catches....make sure you use a compressor

Members who have read this thread: 0