tubeless minions?- Mtbr.com
    RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman

tubeless minions?

I want a set of 2.5" UST Minion DHFs or high rollers but can only find 42A compound. I'm not looking to replace tires every month at $65 each. Does a 62A UST minion exist?

If not, any tires carry a comparable width, weight, price, performance? I've heard Muddy Mary's but also heard they are a lot wider/heavier?

Commit or eat sh!t
    I think UST only comes in at 42a compound. But you can convert 2-ply Maxxis tires into tubeless. You just need a compressor and Stan's.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I had the two ply running ghetto tubeless quite easy and worked great.

mtbr member
    Ive been running standard minions for years tubless. Never any issues. Never had a flat. No need for the ust version. Just put sealant in.

Pee's in the H8teraid
    The UST Minions are heavier than the 2 ply Downhill versions too
    I'm running Minion EXO tubeless with great success currently.
    They come in 60a and 3c and they don't weigh a friggen ton.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Awesome. Thanks. Glad to hear I can stick with my favorites.

mtbr member
    + 1 more for ghetto tubeless Minion DHF Exos. Great setup.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    where are you guys riding with the EXO (that's a single ply tire right?) I'm in the northeast, tons of rocks and I'm not the lightest, smoothest rider to begin with. The weight of the EXO is attractive but I'm worried about tearing up that single ply tire.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM
    where are you guys riding with the EXO (that's a single ply tire right?) I'm in the northeast, tons of rocks and I'm not the lightest, smoothest rider to begin with. The weight of the EXO is attractive but I'm worried about tearing up that single ply tire.
    I ride in the Wasatch Mtns (Salt Lake). Lots of loamy singletrack and plenty of chunky, sharp rock gardens. I'm 6'3", 225 with gear, so I'm no leg shaver either, but they do great for hard AM and most FR riding. Never had a single issue with them folding, peeling, tearing, anything. I've hooked the side casing under rock edges at high speeds and the sidewalls came out with little more than a scuff on them. That would have shredded my pld Nevegals. Their sidewalls might be on the thin side if you're pounding a full-on WC downhill course, but for less than that, they are more than adequate. The 60a compound is really good for most conditions, too. Wears reasonably well but still grips better than most tires.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    i run minions tubless aswell no flats or any other problems
    keep the rubber side down!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DucJ
    The UST Minions are heavier than the 2 ply Downhill versions too
    where do you get that from? All the DHF UST tires I have had are a lot lighter then any 2ply DHF.....even their website will back that up.

J:

exo

make sure it's the exo and not the 2.3, those tear pretty easy. If your worried about rolling it, just run a tube up front, the thought will never go away. I stopped going tubeless in the front, never again.
    video=youtube;][/video]...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I want a set of 2.5" UST Minion DHFs or high rollers but can only find 42A compound. I'm not looking to replace tires every month at $65 each. Does a 62A UST minion exist?

If not, any tires carry a comparable width, weight, price, performance? I've heard Muddy Mary's but also heard they are a lot wider/heavier?
    chain reaction cycles have both 42 and 62 versions of the UST minions, and they have a 10% off sale at the moment

Pee's in the H8teraid
    Quote Originally Posted by samdemo
    where do you get that from? All the DHF UST tires I have had are a lot lighter then any 2ply DHF.....even their website will back that up.
    Scale at the bike shop.
    DHF UST was 1270
    2-ply 3c was 1230.
    2-ply ST was 1250
    I'm not saying the scale was dead accurate on the weights but it showed the UST was heavier.
    Yeah, their website also lists a 2.35 too

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Yeah, the 60a 2.5" UST Minion DHF is usually ~1200g, but there are variations in manufacturing, so I could totally see the 1270g weight being accurate. It happens to the best MFGs.
    The Muddy Mary is an interesting alternative - what are you riding (dirt-wise)? The 2.35" UST MM is as big as the 2.5" Minion, and weighs about 1000g give or take. It's a great tire for loose, muddy, damp, etc...
    The 2.4" UST Big Betty also weighs ~1000g, is better for more hardpack and loose-over-hardpack, but it packs up easily in any kind of loose dirt that is damp or wetter (the "old version was more like 900g, but the new one weighs closer to 1100g supposedly).
    The Triple Nano Compound wears really well and still hooks up, but it's no Gooey Gluey or Super Tacky.
    And ditto on running Minion DH non-UST tires tubeless. Works fine, just tends to weigh more. You can also run Schwalbe tires tubeless, just use sealant as with any non-tubeless tire.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DucJ
    Scale at the bike shop.
    DHF UST was 1270
    2-ply 3c was 1230.
    2-ply ST was 1250
    I'm not saying the scale was dead accurate on the weights but it showed the UST was heavier.
    Yeah, their website also lists a 2.35 too

My 2.5 42A UST High Rollers weigh 1,130 grams & 1,175 grams. Lighter then my 2-ply 2.5 3C Minion F & R. I don't have the weight written down anymore but it was around mid 1,200 grams.

I ended up with 42A compound front and back because that's all that was available for the HR at the time, but according to Maxxis' website it appears that a dual compound is available for UST. (http://www.maxxis.com/Bicycle/Downhi...oller-UST.aspx)

Having a 42A compound in the back is really frustrating since I don't have a whole lot of runs on my bike and the back is already showing some wear. I don't lock up the brakes if at all possible, so I think it's just too soft a compound to run in the back. I love the HR's but if I can't get a harder compound for the back I may be switching brands when this tire is done.

Members who have read this thread: 0