Truthfull reviews on the 04 Boxxer race- Mtbr.com
    crumb

Truthfull reviews on the 04 Boxxer race

Im trying to decide between a 04 boxxer race and a 04 Jr t becuase they are both 400 at pricepoint. Any opinions or reviews from people who have actually read these forks please help, not just people who have heard that boxxer seals blow or the jr has spikes. The fork will be for freeride with a 15 maximum drop height. Thanks alot
    Jim

mtbr member
    Look at getting a 04 Super T for like about $100 more. CBO had them for like 519 or something. My friend has that BOXXER and has replaced the seals three + times in under a year. The fork has no oil in it. He had to do like three runs back to back down Tunnel to burn off the oil on rotor. It feels like a spring, I rode the bike and it scared the crap out of me.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    I agree with homey above, get a Super T or any other Marz fork for that matter, Jr. T's are crap. Like homey pointed out (although indirectly) most people can't be bother to take the time to setup a Boxxer (too much work).

Boxxers are good forks if you have the mental capacity to deal with setting them up and maintaining them, but if not well then your SOL. Most people don't and thats why they get bad reviews and people tend to bad mouth them so much. Plus the fact it's not "COOL" to have a Boxxer.

The thing thats so appealing about Marz forks is that any idiot can set one up. Check the spring rate, check/adjust your oil, adjust your settings (preload/rebound/compression) and your good. Maintenence is even geared more towards the weak minded (or lazy depending on your perspective), simply change the oil once a year and your set, unless by chance your seals are bad but that's highly unlikely.

For the record I love my PUSH'd 7" 05 Boxxer Team.

crumb
    I personally, (I dont know if thiss ounds weird) love to upkeep and adjust everything on my bike. What different adjustments are on the boxxer that arent on the Jr. T. Also I have ridden my friends 04 Jr.t and i think its a good fork and it meets my needs becuase im not very picky about the little spikes other people have encountered or the bad damping. If I got this boxxer would it be better or worse that the Jr. T and i would definatly be getting the Black Box upgrade because Ive heard it makes a huge difference and you cant go wrong for $30 (the msrp on the sram site). Thanks alot please help with this question of wether I would be dissapointed with the boxxer even though I like the Jr.t.
    Thanks
    Jim

V10 Freerider
    I am a Marzocchi guy to the core but that being said I would probably look at getting a Boxxer Race and doing the Blackbox upgrade.
    The Super T you have is really a very good fork. I'd take that fork over a Fox 40 or a Boxer unless i was entering a fashon contest instead of a race

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004

about Black Box

Quote Originally Posted by saviorself
    I personally, (I dont know if thiss ounds weird) love to upkeep and adjust everything on my bike. What different adjustments are on the boxxer that arent on the Jr. T. Also I have ridden my friends 04 Jr.t and i think its a good fork and it meets my needs becuase im not very picky about the little spikes other people have encountered or the bad damping. If I got this boxxer would it be better or worse that the Jr. T and i would definatly be getting the Black Box upgrade because Ive heard it makes a huge difference and you cant go wrong for $30 (the msrp on the sram site). Thanks alot please help with this question of wether I would be dissapointed with the boxxer even though I like the Jr.t.
    Thanks
    Jim
    The 04 stuff already has the Black Box, however your Race would only have the rebound, no compression.

Out of the box no mods, the Boxxer Race is a better feeling fork than the Jr.T.

Both fork however need to be modded to work optimally. The Jr.T would need at least on HSCV cart and the Race would be better with the compression damper installed. Both cost about the same, so no big loss either way.

I personally think you'd find the Boxxer to be better than the Jr.T, at least I know I did. Good luck.

crumb
    Thanks for the replys, but I have no idea what the compresion damper is or who makes it can anybody please help me out on where to buy one or how much they are? Also, would this be a good upgrade from my 2003 Sherman firefly with 5'' of travel. I'm hopng so
    Thanks
    Jim

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the replys, but I have no idea what the compresion damper is or who makes it can anybody please help me out on where to buy one or how much they are? Also, would this be a good upgrade from my 2003 Sherman firefly with 5'' of travel. I'm hopng so
    Thanks
    Jim
    Maybe this will help.

There are basically 3 versions of the Boxxer 03/04, with 4 versions in 05 (newest one is the Boxxer Ride)
    03-05 Boxxer Race - Has Rebound and Preload, 03-04 were adjustable from 6-7"; 05 adjusts from 7-8.

03 -05 Boxxer Team - Has Rebound, Preload and Hi\Lo compression damping. 03-04 were 7" travel; 05 was upgraded to 8".

03-05 Boxxer WorldCup - same adjustments as the Team, but with specially coated Slippery Silver stanchions.

Newest Boxxer the 05 Boxxer Ride - U-turn adjustable Boxxer from 5.25-7", has rebound adjust.

The compression damper goes in the dummy leg (opposite leg to the rebound leg on Boxxer Race) on the Boxxer Race replacing the dummy cartridge. It helps to impact forces from the trail for small and large bumps.

crumb
    Thanks Red,
    and Im sorry to bother you more but Ive pretty much decided to go with the 04 Race. But do you have any idea of where to get the compression damper or how much it costs? Also, do you have an idea of how much a can sell my 03 Sherman Firefly for, it was lightly used for a month and has 1 scratch on it.
    Thanks agian
    Jim

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004

damper

Thanks Red,
    and Im sorry to bother you more but Ive pretty much decided to go with the 04 Race. But do you have any idea of where to get the compression damper or how much it costs? Also, do you have an idea of how much a can sell my 03 Sherman Firefly for, it was lightly used for a month and has 1 scratch on it.
    Thanks agian
    Jim
    No bother really. The damper can be ordered through your LBS or call any repsectable like Go-Ride and they can get it for you. As for selling the Sherman, my advice check Ebay and see what they're going for on there. Good luck.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    i have a 04 boxxer wc. i love the fork. i have not blown the seals after racing for consistantly since january, but then again i am not that heavy. i depends on wether or not u are racing or just riding. the thing i like about the boxxer is that is way lighter than the 888. i dont know how the weight compares to the jr. t or super t. If you are racing- boxxer, If not- i would probably go for the marz over the race. good luck