Triple chainring conversion- Mtbr.com
    SILENCE! I KILL YOU!

Triple chainring conversion

I run a Shimano Deore triple chainring on my Chuck 2.0, and I have already ripped 3 pairs of jeans that get caught in the exposed chainring (I use the middle ring for everyday use). Now, I still don't have a job yet, so I still can't buy the Holzfeller 38T crankset that I want, so to try it out, I think I will go to my LBS, request to remove the 32T ring and the granny gear to make it a single chainring setup.

Questions:

1. Will it work?
    2. Will a chainguide and a bashguard be mandatory for this conversion, if possible?
    3. Since bashguards require different bolts to secure to the chainring, are motorcycle bolts an effective substitute?

Thanks!
    Hunter, Simmons, Berrecloth, Watson,Vanderham, Semenuk, Schley, Gulevich, Bourdon, Smith, Moreland, Shandro, Boyko... Bieber.

i like rocks
    you can (or have your LBS) take off your big ring and install a bashguard. you can keep the 32t, the granny and the front der. don't have to buy a chainguide if you keep the front der.

Shop *****
    Quote Originally Posted by euroford
    you can (or have your LBS) take off your big ring and install a bashguard. you can keep the 32t, the granny and the front der. don't have to buy a chainguide if you keep the front der.
    Exactly what I ran. I got a deal on a $15 supercharger, then decided to go Single ring. It takes about 30 seconds. Hardest part is getting the crankarm off.. Might take a little pullying. But then just get a 5mm allen key, take off the rings you don't want, and put on a bashguard.
    Quote Originally Posted by <sL4yEr>RuLz
    All good suggestions. What kind of "ass-orderant" would you recommend?

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by drakan
    Exactly what I ran. I got a deal on a $15 supercharger, then decided to go Single ring. It takes about 30 seconds. Hardest part is getting the crankarm off.. Might take a little pullying. But then just get a 5mm allen key, take off the rings you don't want, and put on a bashguard.
    That's what crank pullers are for... Just pulling and hitting it can distort the splines...

No, bashguards do not require different bolts. Unless you get a poly bash like the e13. Those are very thick, so it requires a set of longer bolts.

If you go single ring, I would strongly recommend a chainguide. You can just run a single ring with no bash or guide. You will need shorter bolts, and you risk dropping the chain more.

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    Quote Originally Posted by euroford
    my front der rubs with my rear Nokian Gazza Jr. , could I adjust the front der to clear the rear tire?

And does the Shimano Saint bashguard require different bolts, like the e13 Supercharger?
    Hunter, Simmons, Berrecloth, Watson,Vanderham, Semenuk, Schley, Gulevich, Bourdon, Smith, Moreland, Shandro, Boyko... Bieber.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by suicidebomber
    Iand I have already ripped 3 pairs of jeans that get caught in the exposed chainring (I use the middle ring for everyday use). Now, I still don't have a job yet, :

cheap fix....rubberbands.......put them around your legs so your jeans don't stick out and get ripped....or raise the pant leg
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    cheap fix....rubberbands.......put them around your legs so your jeans don't stick out and get ripped....or raise the pant leg

yeah, tried that. A bit silly, though.

Members who have read this thread: 0