Trek Session 88 weight (thought it might be lighter but.....)- Mtbr.com
    dressed to play

Trek Session 88 weight (thought it might be lighter but.....)

09 Session frame (medium) with 400lb Ti spring
    09 Fox 40 (blue ti spring)
    09 Saint cranks (165mm) with 38T E13 G Ring
    09 Saint brakes with Goodrige hoses (203 fr and rear)
    09 Saint rear mech (Super short)
    09 Saint shifter
    MRP G2 chainguide
    Deemax front wheel
    Chris King 150mm ISO hub on 823 rim (DT DB spokes & brass nipples)
    Thomson X4 stem (50mm)
    Azonic B52 bar (1 inch rise, uncut)
    SDG Formula FX Ibeam saddle & post
    Straitline pedals
    Outland lock on grips
    Michelin DH16 2.5 (tubeless with 2 scoops of Stans)
    Dura ace 11-28 cassette
    SRAM PC 991 chain

All in weight 39.79 lbs

Ho Hum, might be of interest to someone. Thought it might be a bit lower, but not too bothered.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I'm not a big fan of Trek, but damn that's a nice looking bike. A lot more fluid and curvy than the boxy, angular Session 7 or 77.
    Instead of worrying about how much it weighs, why aren't you out there shredding on it?
    Jump it onto something off of something or over something.

There's more to freeriding than dirt jumps.

Stray Bullet
    First 39.79 lbs isn't heavy. Second you could drop a ton of weight in the wheels but they wouldn't be as strong.

Capricious youth...
    I'd say the heavy wheels really tipped the scale.

But it's a great looking bike, man. You should feel very lucky!
    Meh.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Beautiful bike bro! Super sexy. Yeah, 39.75 IS light.

You could save a lot of weight by going XT instead of Saint cranks, a tiny bolt on seat clamp (unless u need the quick release), lighter bars?, lighter direct mount stem (Point One is really light), lose the stacion bumpers and put a couple tiny bumpers on the frame, maybe an XT shifter?, Syncro Mag Pedals (expensive and don't last long but, I like em) and maybe a PC 991 hollow point chain. All that would probably bring it down to 38. I would never go lighter wheels especially on a DH bike like this one where you would sacrifice strength.

Just a thought. I really like toying with my bike too so, hope you don't mind

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Swap out the tires. Intense 909, WTB Dissent or even Maxxis High rollers are lighter.

Other than that, you've got full DH light components on there, whilst Trek has put AM components on the stock race model to minimize weight. It just goes to show that Trek has compromised with the stock components/tires to achieve a low weight. We'll see about long term lasting.

VERY nice bike though!
    Swedish trail/AM/Enduro/DH-rider - Currently rides Spitfire V2 & Devinci Wilson SL. Spending the summer 2013 in Whistler, BC.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    sick bike. Under 40 is great!
    "Ride Life Ride Giant"

Commit or eat sh!t
    Nice build. I wouldn't change a thing, unless you are willing to sacrifice performance to save a little bit of weight. Maybe the new Deemax which will save you a pound or so. If you are racing and willing to change taco'ed wheels often, you can go with lighter wheelset and thinner rim.

How does it compare to other DH bikes you had?

Glad to Be Alive
    nice bike !!
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

dressed to play
    Cheers for the comments guys.
    Very happy with it as is really.............

Although mmmm, new Deemax, Point one

Must resist, should probably feed the kids now

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Dont think hes really complaining...but it isnt as light as all the hype was. The hype was about the pics with it being 34 lbs. But I could build a nicolai to 36 lbs. Nice ride thought

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxBS
    Dont think hes really complaining...but it isnt as light as all the hype was. The hype was about the pics with it being 34 lbs. But I could build a nicolai to 36 lbs. Nice ride thought
    It exactly as light as all the hype is. He put on heavier wheels, tires, bars, and stem. It comes stock at 38 lbs, but its got really light rims (king earls are like 540g or something) and single ply tires.

Plus, the one they built to 32 lbs had XC rims/hubs, modded BB for lighter 73mm cranks and plenty of other things. There are bikes that are 36 lbs out there that could drop even lower if they moved to xc hubs/rims.

Anyway, along with the sun, moorewood, and socom, the frame is one of the lightest out there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by William42
    It exactly as light as all the hype is. He put on heavier wheels, tires, bars, and stem. It comes stock at 38 lbs, but its got really light rims (king earls are like 540g or something) and single ply tires.

Plus, the one they built to 32 lbs had XC rims/hubs, modded BB for lighter 73mm cranks and plenty of other things. There are bikes that are 36 lbs out there that could drop even lower if they moved to xc hubs/rims.

Anyway, along with the sun, moorewood, and socom, the frame is one of the lightest out there.
    Agreed i didnt mean theyre lying bout the weight. I meant that people were hyping how light the bike was, but as soon as you put tougher parts on the weight is far from like the stupid 34 lbs. Sure its light i just think the hype was unjustified as they had really light parts on it. Ofcourse, it is still light.

RTG
    mtbr member
    Uhm, holy shiit? Best looking Session so far...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by RTG
    Uhm, holy shiit? Best looking Session so far...
    There's a giant thread over on RM worth checking out. That one was "cool" by that RM thread's standards

N* Bomber Crew
    I'll be blunt here. For such a hyped up and expensive bike, 39 lbs sucks, sorry. My friend built a Chumba F5 on a super short budget and that weighed about 37.8 lbs. I went through your parts spec and the only place I saw legitimate weight drops could be new wheels (Mavic 721's to Hope Pro II's) and Handlebars (Sunline V-1).

However, that build, is flipping awesome. Depending on how you view weight as a factor, that bike should tear it up. I really like it, don't let my above comment discourage you.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member
    Your build is a very realistic one, congratulations on getting the weight down to what it is and that looks like it'll be a fun bike for shredding the gnar.

With that said, xt cranks, thomson seatpost and a road saddle, handlebar, pedals, tires, and wheels will all drop the weight... But the real question is at what cost? You will sacrifice durability to get to a lower weight. I say stick with what you have a have a ripping good time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by his dudeness
    Your build is a very realistic one, congratulations on getting the weight down to what it is and that looks like it'll be a fun bike for shredding the gnar.

With that said, xt cranks, thomson seatpost and a road saddle, handlebar, pedals, tires, and wheels will all drop the weight... But the real question is at what cost? You will sacrifice durability to get to a lower weight. I say stick with what you have a have a ripping good time.
    Its an 83mm BB. No XT cranks.

Anyway, not mentioning ride quality, I don't know why the session is getting crap for its weight. It could ride like piss for all I care, its still lighter then everything else. Thats a solid build right there, but there isn't really anything weight weenie on it. The frame is the lightest DH frame on the market. If it weighs more then the other bikes out there, its because of build, not frame.

Saying "oh thats heavier then I expected" and blaming it on on the frame is retarded. It just means you have no idea what parts weigh about what.

God, I can't believe I'm defending the bike, I've always been one of trek's biggest detractors.

NOT Team Sanchez
    Dude that's how much my Titus El Guapo weighs!!!!!!! LIGHT LIGHT LIGHT for a dh bike!!!
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Sweet setup.
    How much did that Ti Spring put you down?
    "A Fifth of Yager, a four pack or Red Bull, and a full suspension mountain bike, now thats quite a combo."

StraightOuttaCompton
    damn, thats a light ass dh bike. if you're complaining about that then i dont know what to tell you.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

mtbr member
    Its an 83mm BB. No XT cranks.

Anyway, not mentioning ride quality, I don't know why the session is getting crap for its weight. It could ride like piss for all I care, its still lighter then everything else. Thats a solid build right there, but there isn't really anything weight weenie on it. The frame is the lightest DH frame on the market. If it weighs more then the other bikes out there, its because of build, not frame.

Saying "oh thats heavier then I expected" and blaming it on on the frame is retarded. It just means you have no idea what parts weigh about what.

God, I can't believe I'm defending the bike, I've always been one of trek's biggest detractors.
    It might be the lightest frame, but the "system" weight is similar to the Socom, which was the lightest frame before the Trek. In contrast to the Socom you are stuck with a 83 mm BB, 150 mm rear wheel and can't use an air shock without losing travel. Bummer.

dressed to play
    Quote Originally Posted by Djponee
    damn, thats a light ass dh bike. if you're complaining about that then i dont know what to tell you.

Definitely NOT complaining, as others have said i just expected it to be a little bit lighter.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by iRider
    It might be the lightest frame, but the "system" weight is similar to the Socom, which was the lightest frame before the Trek. In contrast to the Socom you are stuck with a 83 mm BB, 150 mm rear wheel and can't use an air shock without losing travel. Bummer.
    Can't use an air shock without loosing travel? I have no idea if thats true or not, but I see no reason it would be - I probably wouldn't since the damping has been specifically tuned to that bike, the only shocks I would use for it are custom tuned shocks like a pushed shock, a CCDB, an avy, or a bos. Anyway, care to qualify the "can't use air" statement? Where did you find that out

dressed to play
    Can't use an air shock without loosing travel? I have no idea if thats true or not, but I see no reason it would be - I probably wouldn't since the damping has been specifically tuned to that bike, the only shocks I would use for it are custom tuned shocks like a pushed shock, a CCDB, an avy, or a bos. Anyway, care to qualify the "can't use air" statement? Where did you find that out
    I think he's referring to the dhx air only being available in 2.5in stroke in 8.75 length and the trek using 2.75in stroke.
    I have no desire to run an air shock, but if i did i'm sure MOJO could sort me out with a custom air can.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarhero
    I think he's referring to the dhx air only being available in 2.5in stroke in 8.75 length and the trek using 2.75in stroke.
    I have no desire to run an air shock, but if i did i'm sure MOJO could sort me out with a custom air can.
    I guess that kind of makes sense, except for that 2/3 of the big air shocks (the better two IMO) make them in that size

http://www.manitoumtb.com/items.asp?...=12&itemid=154
    http://marzocchi.com/Template/detail...DOggetto=56411

at any rate, if you have a custom tuned shock on there, keeping it that way is probably the way to go - anything else is gonna feel like a let down.

Sorry to have turned your thread into a weight debate, that bike is really sick, hope its super fun

mtbr member
    mine...16 kg200...35.71 Lbs

Frame : Trek Session 88 DH, Size M
    Fork : RockShox Boxxer World Cup + BOS Cartridge
    ear Shock : Fox DHX 5.0 with RCS titanium spring
    Headset : Canecreek Custom 1"1/2-1"1/8
    Stem : Twenty6 Boxxer Direct Mount
    Handlebar : Easton Monkey Lite DH
    Grips : Oury Lock-On with Envy bar end caps
    Brakes : Avid Elixir CR 200/1800
    Rear Trigger : Sram XO
    rear Derailleur : Sram XO, Short Cage
    Cassette : Shimano Dura-Ace 11-23
    Chain : Sram PC99 Hollow Pin
    Cranks / Bottom Bracket : RaceFace Atlas FR
    Chainring : Blackspire Downhill 36 tooth
    Chain Guide : MRP G2
    Pedals : Twenty6 Rallye with Titanium Axle
    Seatpost : Thomson Masterpiece
    Saddle : SDG Ti-Fly C
    Wheels : Mavic Deemax 2009 (20mm/150-12mm)
    Tires : Maxxis Minion FR DH 2.50 42a ST

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    That is sick looking, and right in the ballpark where i want my Demo 7 to end up.

Capricious youth...
    Beauty if a Session 88. Shorten up that long front brake cable, though. It'll catch on something eventually and you'll rip it out of the fitting.

Again... BEAUTIFUL bike.
    Meh.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettym1k3
    Beauty if a Session 88. Shorten up that long front brake cable, though. It'll catch on something eventually and you'll rip it out of the fitting.

Again... BEAUTIFUL bike.
    Since this pics I have cut the front Brake hose ...& the seatpost...& Change the seat Clamp by an 2009 Hope

dressed to play
    Quote Originally Posted by Intenseman
    mine...16 kg200...35.71 Lbs
    How is yours 4 lbs lighter than mine, i'm struggling to see where that weight is.

1/2 lb for wheels
    maybe another 1/2 lb in the tyres
    1lb in the fork max
    OK stem, bars, pedals, cranks are all a bit lighter, but 2lbs?

????

How are the new Deemax? Very tempted, but having bought the King/823 for a not inconsiderable amount of money recently, i'm struggling to justify the expense.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    How's that bos cartridge working/feeling. Very inerested to hear about that.
    Also, as a joke, how much braking are you getting out of that 1800 rear rotor?
    "Ride Life Ride Giant"

-C-
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    How is yours 4 lbs lighter than mine, i'm struggling to see where that weight is.

1/2 lb for wheels
    1lb in the fork max
    Forks, wheels, tyres, cranks, drivetrain, stem, bars, brakes, etc.

There is comfortably 4lbs in that lot.

I wouldn't worry too much about the weight side of things anyway. I've been there with the silly light Socom before (at ~35lbs) and now i'm back on on a 37lb Sunday, which rides far better for me. That seems to be my threshold point

Unless you're a small Ethiopian child of course

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    yeah sweet ride dudes.

but why are you guys so quick to toss the bontrager wheels? those king earl wheels dont suck. I have always thought they were pretty worthwhile as a buddy of mine who breaks a ton of parts hasnt put as much a flat spot in those kings. We often sing songs about riding with the king.

oh wait they are big earls on the 88s, thats busch league. but I have hearding nothing but praise and love for the trek wheels from everyone I know who has them, and I dont mind working on them.

dressed to play
    Quote Originally Posted by spxoo
    yeah sweet ride dudes.

but why are you guys so quick to toss the bontrager wheels?
    Bought mine frame only

Ideas Above My Station...
    Those Deemax wheels.....way to make a beautiful bike look ghastly! And heavy!
    Its All Downhill From Here....!

Underweight Rider

1/2 lb for wheels
    1lb in the fork max

UST vs DH tubes(400-600grams easily, thats a lb each)

N* Bomber Crew

1/2 lb for wheels
    1lb in the fork max

????

How are the new Deemax? Very tempted, but having bought the King/823 for a not inconsiderable amount of money recently, i'm struggling to justify the expense.
    You do realize you just answered your own question, right?
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

Stay thirsty my friends
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxBS
    My stock size large was 36 1/2 pds with Stans and 5050 pedals. That was on a calibrated scale, how sure are you of the calibration on your scale? Just because its digital doesn't mean its right.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ght=santa+trek

dressed to play
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptordude
    You do realize you just answered your own question, right?
    yes, but to be fair i was drunk when i wrote that

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Your'e kidding with the heavy....

The Deemax weigh less than just about any Dh hub set and plain gauge spoke build onto a 550gm rim...

They are only 2150gms.

-C-
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thats not exactly 'light' though, when there are plenty of DH wheelsets sub 2000gms.

In fact, probably 'the' most common wheelset out there (Hope Pro 2, Mavic 721 & DB spokes) is almost 2000g on the nose.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Yeh but it's a real downhill wheelset not an xc wheel with Dh rim. ;-)

I guess it depends on what you need, i'll survive with the new SX wheelset, but i am some sort of girl when it comes to extreme riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sq225917
    Yeh but it's a real downhill wheelset not an xc wheel with Dh rim. ;-)

I guess it depends on what you need, i'll survive with the new SX wheelset, but i am some sort of girl when it comes to extreme riding.
    none of my business i know but i have to ask,if your a bit of a girl when it comes to extreme riding why on earth did you buy a demo 7.???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4JawChuck
    My stock size large was 36 1/2 pds with Stans and 5050 pedals. That was on a calibrated scale, how sure are you of the calibration on your scale? Just because its digital doesn't mean its right.

https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.p...ght=santa+trek
    Same weight with 2 differents scale : Park tools & Topeak
    Next change : Fork...for a Boxxer 2010 or a BOS Idylle or N'Dee...and perhaps an BOS Stoy (Red or Custom Polished version)

Photoshoped pics...of course :

Eric, frenchman with an awful english speaking

-C-
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Not being funny, but I would put a whole lot more faith in a Hope Pro 2 than any Deemax offering. Seem far too many spokes popped out of the hub flange over the years, not to mention awful freehub designs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Yeh the old ones were crap, the new ones have doubled up on the pawls and spring with wider beds and a tougher body. Under tensioned wheels ovaling on heavy impacts will always be an issue with an open back flange design, i believe they have extended the flange behind the spoke this year for that reason.

konut, it was unused brand new and only 1200.... at that price i can ride it for 6 month resell it at no loss and buy something, less......overbuilt. An 88 would likely have been a much better fit to how i ride, but the frames run to 1700 in the UK.

mtbr member
    1700 for a session frame,they wanna be made in the usa for that amount.

NICE KID...NICE

Nice ride...

No one should be disappointed with a sub 40 pound DH bike.
    "At that point man, your just riding your bike."

Transition

Pedalshop

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    konut, they want to come with a free years supply of blowjobs for that money..

dressed to play
    I paid 1800 for mine. No free blowjobs

mtbr member
    are they usa built then do you know.???

thats intense cycles money if they are not.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    The session 88's are Taiwan Welded, Trek hand picked all the welders that are working on the frames to ensure they got good quality.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttely
    The session 88's are Taiwan Welded, Trek hand picked all the welders that are working on the frames to ensure they got good quality.
    still intense cycles money,so will give them a miss for sure.

dressed to play
    Quote Originally Posted by konut
    still intense cycles money,so will give them a miss for sure.

The M6 is 2300 in the U.K so 500 more expensive. For me the Trek is worth every penny. If where the frame is welded is important, the Trek is not for you. The quality is impeccable however.

Stay thirsty my friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Intenseman
    Same weight with 2 differents scale : Park tools & Topeak
    Two different scales is not calibrated dude...just sayin.

mtbr member
    The M6 is 2300 in the U.K so 500 more expensive. For me the Trek is worth every penny. If where the frame is welded is important, the Trek is not for you. The quality is impeccable however.
    see you have me all wrong,where a frame is made has no bearing on my choice what so ever,but when a demo frame will cost me 1300 the trek is pretty exspensive in comparison,i also should of stated that the m6 is to much bike for my needs but would look at the intense uzzi instead,which is within a at a guess 200 pounds of the session.

not saying its a bad bike,but i always thought the idea behind building in taiwan was we as consumers would benefit from cheaper labour costs,but it looks as though trek is gonna win big big on the session as in terms of cost and maximum profit.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Like any business they charge as much as the market will support. Compared to some brands it's a bargain.

dressed to play
    Quote Originally Posted by sq225917
    Like any business they charge as much as the market will support. Compared to some brands it's a bargain.
    U.K pricing has gone crazy with the weakness of the pound, It's certainly a bargain compared to 2850 for an anodized Santa Cruz V10.

Although a recent price increase puts the Session at 2000. I don't think i would have paid that.

dressed to play

Lighter now

Scored some 09 Deemax off Ebay, down to 38.8lbs now.

Disclaimer: I'm not actually obsessed with the weight of my bike, i just can't ride at the moment due to an injury so i'm bored as ****

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Your session gets better and better.

I'll be riding the BOS N'Dee, S*Toy and Idylle Pro this summer, and all I can say so far is that if you measure the weight with two decimals, don't go for them. They're all about MX style plush, not light weight. The Idylle Pro currently weight 3.75kg because it has about a litre of oil in it!

I'd get the new boxxer teams for your build, which is very sensible by the way. Light, but hardcore usable.

And I agree about the Session frame loosing the lightweight battle to the Socom due to 83mm and 150mm rear end. Unfortunate.
    Swedish trail/AM/Enduro/DH-rider - Currently rides Spitfire V2 & Devinci Wilson SL. Spending the summer 2013 in Whistler, BC.

wait...what?
    what fork/shock are you running? spring?

mtbr member
    New Update of mine :

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by rmb_mike
    I'm not a big fan of Trek, but damn that's a nice looking bike.
    That's along the lines of what I was thinking. Sessions are pretty classy looking IMO.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by konut
    see you have me all wrong,where a frame is made has no bearing on my choice what so ever,but when a demo frame will cost me 1300 the trek is pretty exspensive in comparison,i also should of stated that the m6 is to much bike for my needs but would look at the intense uzzi instead,which is within a at a guess 200 pounds of the session.

not saying its a bad bike,but i always thought the idea behind building in taiwan was we as consumers would benefit from cheaper labour costs,but it looks as though trek is gonna win big big on the session as in terms of cost and maximum profit.

Dude stop posting seriously ! No offense but you have no idea what you are talking about,the whole"made in Taiwan"thing is much more complicated than this.There's a lot more to it than just fabrication cost.In fact I bet you a 100$ that once the bike is made, shipped and has landed in the country,Trek is probably not making much on them.I bet they're doing it as a platform to show the world what they are capable of.

I dont know what it is in the UK but here in Canada a Demo 8 frame cost more than a Session ( which is a bit embarrassing for specialized IMO )For some reason people thinks companies are going off shore to make the customers benefit from cheaper labor which is absolutely wrong.I wont get into the details because I dont want to waste 30 minutes on my time in front of my CPU but you can trust me on this, this is NOT the reason why they are doing this.
    Last edited by tuumbaq; 01-24-2009 at 01:43 PM.

fool goin up, joker down
    Jan 2009
    awesome bike and under 40 is pretty damn good

Members who have read this thread: 0