trek session 88 DH- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

trek session 88 DH

does anyone know whats up with these? (as in how they ride and build quality)
    are they just a buncha hype or are they actually supposed to perform well on a DH trail

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    hype so far, no word on their actual performance yet, if they ride like the remedy they should be pretty sweet

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    http://www.pinkbike.com/news/trek-se...ions-2008.html

Shandro puts it through its paces, looks like an awesome machine. I want one.

mtbr member

session 88

there is a review of both sessions in the september mountain bike action ....looks like the real deal.

For The Win
    The FR edition looks amazing, or at least the paint scheme does
    Slow is cool too, right?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by lj426
    there is a review of both sessions in the september mountain bike action ....looks like the real deal.
    MBA articles are always well thought out, critical, and really shows the bikes good parts and bad parts

StraightOuttaCompton
    that is sick. if it isnt too spendy, i may look into it.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

hmmmm
    did I hear right in the shandro part that the HT size changes from top to bottom? from 1 1/8 to 1 1/2? I am confused...

also like the floating shock

mtbr member

HT sizing

Quote Originally Posted by Dalis12
    did I hear right in the shandro part that the HT size changes from top to bottom? from 1 1/8 to 1 1/2? I am confused...

also like the floating shock
    Just like the DH Glory and a few other new bikes!
    The New Turner is back to 1 1/8...
    The bike companies like to making it hard on us

hmmmm
    I am just confused on how that helps..... cuz it can't accommodate 1 1/2 steerer tube

oh well, sweet bike none the less

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by William42
    MBA articles are always well thought out, critical, and really shows the bikes good parts and bad parts
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'll sum them up for you - "Is the bike in question a Santa Cruz Nomad? No? Then whatever. I'm sure it's a nice bike."

All their reviews sound the same. To be fair, all bike mag reviews sound pretty much the same. I'm talking to you too Decline.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    no seriously MBA gives really well thought out critical reviews. If they give a bike a good review, you know that not only is it an amazing bike its even better then any bike ever to come before it.

The new session 88 is no different

edit: i realize i should put a bunch of smiley faces and stuff to indicate sarcasm.

In all seriousness I am pumped to see how it does.

I'm predicting flexorama and breaking problems!

Seeeriously easy Livin
    I will admit the bike looks like sex, it seems to fit right in with the other big brand dh bikes, Scott gambler, Specialized demo, and giant glory, I'll bet there all made in the same factory. The session 88 is definitly the best looking bike of the bunch, can't wait to read the reviews

Should be interesting to see who trek gets on their racing team to pump up the new bike, and how it fairs aginst syndicate and Iron horse

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Djponee
    that is sick. if it isnt too spendy, i may look into it.
    It's $3,000 for the frame. It has a tapered head tube but there may or may not be a conventional solution. We were thinking of getting a 1.5 headset cup for the bottom and a 1 1/8th for the top. Not sure if it would work though.

3 Grand for the frame isn't that bad, but its pretty pricey.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    no seriously MBA gives really well thought out critical reviews. If they give a bike a good review, you know that not only is it an amazing bike its even better then any bike ever to come before it.

edit: i realize i should put a bunch of smiley faces and stuff to indicate sarcasm.

Yes i'm with you on your breaking predictions,

The shock mount on the chain stays is one, putting more stress on the part where lots of bikes seem break is not good, time will tell i guess?

mtbr member
    May 2004

LOL, I apologize, I didn't mean to be a dick. We all have our opinions.

On a separate note, I used to work at a Trek dealer, and I vowed never to buy or ride one. However, I think I may have to go back on my decision - their whole line up this year looks great, and has been getting great reviews. Hmmmm........

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by twouareks
    LOL, I apologize, I didn't mean to be a dick. We all have our opinions.

On a separate note, I used to work at a Trek dealer, and I vowed never to buy or ride one. However, I think I may have to go back on my decision - their whole line up this year looks great, and has been getting great reviews. Hmmmm........
    hahaha i know, i agree with you about MBA

I also I agree about trek. But the new line is pretty rad, I'm about to switch to a canfield, but if I were in the market for a AM/XC bike i'd be all over the remedy, I was passing guys left and right on the XC course and with a piggy back shock with a bit of bottom out resistance, i'd be all over it!

I donno - lifetime warranty, but I just don't see a 7 lb dh frame being real stiff.

mtbr member

session

On a separate note, I used to work at a Trek dealer, and I vowed never to buy or ride one. Hmmmm........[/QUOTE]

Not to sound negitive on your past experience with Trek....but everyone knows someone or they themselves used to work at a certain "bike" shop. I live down the street from a great mechanic that used to work at the Trek Vista super store and then Beyond bikes. He said Trek Sessions were a good strong bike and Kona and Ellsworth were problems .Point being.....give the bike a chance to prove itself . I personally think they are going to be great!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lj426
    Quote Originally Posted by twouareks
    On a separate note, I used to work at a Trek dealer, and I vowed never to buy or ride one. Hmmmm........
    Not to sound negative on your past experience with Trek....but everyone knows someone or they themselves used to work at a certain "bike" shop. I live down the street from a great mechanic that used to work at the Trek Vista super store and then Beyond bikes. He said Trek Sessions were a good strong bike and Kona and Ellsworth were problems .Point being.....give the bike a chance to prove itself . I personally think they are going to be great!
    To defend myself, our problem was with the quality of Bontrager parts more than it was with Trek, so I should have specified from the start instead of talking crap about a company that probably doesn't deserve it. We had more broken Bontrager wheels in there from bikes we sold than we should have. Oh, and pretty much the only people who bought our Treks were Lance fans. It was like a pride thing, we wouldn't consider ourselves "real" riders if we rode Treks.

I demoed an EX8 in Moab a few months ago, and was thoroughly impressed, and the new Remedy 7 is at the top of my list as I shop around for a new bike. The Session 88 seems pretty nice, if I were in the market for a new dh bike.

The funny thing about what you said, is we would work a lot with Ellsworth (our manager was a former pro for Ellsworth) and they were just not fun to work with. Their CS needed a little work.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I vowed I wouldn't buy trek because bontrager sucks, and because the bikes of theirs I rode felt like poo.

But the remedy I demoed was reasonably light with bontrager stuff, and it rode well, so if the session rides like a long, low, slack long travel version of that, i'm gonna be stoked!

Always pumped to see new cool bikes, and with the session, the canfield jedi, the cosair line coming out, the new banshee bikes, lots of good bikes coming out!

Glad to Be Alive
    it is basically a stinky with a lifetime warranty
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Members who have read this thread: 0