Travis sucks!- Mtbr.com

Thread: Travis sucks!

mtbr member

Travis sucks!

i'm experiencing a lot of stiction in my travis 180... anyone have a good remedy? it's definitely broken in (about 6-8 months of use). i rode a buddy's boxxer at whistler last weekend and was flabbergasted! i understand that by most standards the boxxer is just simply a better fork... but my hands were f'in pumped after a day on the travis and felt great after riding the boxxer. any suggestions??? thanks

Bike Ninja |||
    so is this stiction new? like all of a sudden it's crazy stiction? weird. It is possible that the lubrication oil in the lowers has leaked out somehow and it's just excessive friction.

I hate to say it (not a RS fan) but I do favor the motion control dampening over the tpc+/intrinsic of the travis.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Is it TPC or Intrinsic?
    2 wheels

Portland, OR
    I rode the snot out of mine yesterday. the kid before me did too. its just your travis dude, not all of them suck.

its probably something to do with the seals. call up manitou.
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

mtbr member
    its the tpc (not intrinsic). i'm sure the oil hasn't leaked out, i store the bike in the same place - no oil on the ground, and none on the fork itself. it didn't happen suddenly, it's just gotten worse and worse. that boxxer felt super smooth

mtbr member
    just lightly compressing the fork it doesn't compress smoothly..

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Let me guess 6-8mo. of use and not a lick of maintenance

mtbr member
    the seals have been lubricated.. that's about all. we're not talking real heavy use here. i've had other forks in the past - less maintenance and worked just fine.

Meh.
    Probably little or no oil for the semibath in the lowers.

dirt rules
    My Breakout plus got insanely stiff after an intense week at whistler. Somehow the semi-bath oil got contaminated or something, because it got really thick. It looked like dirty jello. I cleaned it out and replaced the oil, and it's smooth again.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by keen
    Let me guess 6-8mo. of use and not a lick of maintenance

yep....drink 2 beers, change oil and call me in the morning
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    same thing happened to me on my slider+, i checked the semi bath oil, wtf there was not a drop of oil inside, add some oil and the problem was easily fixed.. use 40w/5 synthetic motor oil

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by coghi
    same thing happened to me on my slider+, i checked the semi bath oil, wtf there was not a drop of oil inside, add some oil and the problem was easily fixed.. use 40w/5 synthetic motor oil
    Just make sure the oil contains no seal swellers.

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by Goliath_2
    i'm experiencing a lot of stiction in my travis 180... anyone have a good remedy? it's definitely broken in (about 6-8 months of use). i rode a buddy's boxxer at whistler last weekend and was flabbergasted! i understand that by most standards the boxxer is just simply a better fork... but my hands were f'in pumped after a day on the travis and felt great after riding the boxxer. any suggestions??? thanks
    Few things.

1. This is usually tied to the semi bath not getting up to your seals. You may need new seals, but you can store the bike upside down and let the oil work itself into the seals that way (if your oil isn't totally nasty).

2. Otherwise, you may need an oil change.

3. Summit Sports in Whistler is the manitou service center. If you can't get it to feel better by #'s 1 or 2, then swing by their shop the next time up and those guys will likely help you out if you don't come across like a total douchebag. I've had nothing but fantastic service with those dudes.....a six pack never hurts either.

Cheers,
    EB

mtbr member
    Yeap... Manitou will make sure you're taken cared of as they did me when i broke my rebound damper... They sent me a new one... Came in less then a week too despite their move of hq from west coast to east coast after Hayes bought Answer... Awesome guys!!! And nope, i've still yet to experience any problems with any of their products... dont know why there are soooooo many reports saying they suck and sh1t when i've broken 2 marzocchis and no manitous yet...

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpercussive
    dont know why there are soooooo many reports saying they suck and sh1t when i've broken 2 marzocchis and no manitous yet...
    Their service is fantastic..... Their products are somewhat suspect. I've blown up 4 cartridges on my Travis.....all at whistler. On one occasion, I had a new cartridge installed on Friday and blew up the new one on Sunday. They've since given up on me riding the intrinsic cartridge and given me the TPC which is seemingly holding up. The saving grace is I can drop the bike at Summit Sports and go have lunch while they reinstall a new cartridge, seals and semi bath and I have a "like new" fork again in an hour or two.

I suspect a lot of incidents/complaints are related to no maintenance, but they've had some suspect products for sure.

EB

Portland, OR
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    I suspect a lot of incidents/complaints are related to no maintenance, but they've had some suspect products for sure.

EB

word. I just hope I dont mess mine up at whistler this year its on my hardtail though, so I wont be going super huge. schleyer and most of the lower mountain are the limit for me on a HT. but I will ride the komodo on schleyer thats going to be awesome. Hopefully better than having my 100mm stance static getting hydro lockout for no reason half way through schleyer last year.

But the stance gets a 2.2/5 or something for what most people say in the reviews. I've maintained my stance very well. the seals no longer weep oil in huge amounts, all the internal parts are ok despite heavy use. But then again I've come across some strange manitou's like the seal problems in the 2005 kingpins.
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by todd_freeride
    word. I just hope I dont mess mine up at whistler this year
    Actually, I'd say just the opposite.

If there's any place to have your Travis blow up, it's at Whistler. The dude's at Summit can have your fork rebuilt within a couple of hours (if they're not totally swamped). Greg, Calib and Christian are 3 of the finer wrenches you'll meet. Seriously.

EB

I like to ride my bike.
    I know this is an old thread, but...I have a 2006 Travis Intrinsic. When I first got it, it was amazing...the best fork in the world. Super smooth. After a few months, as others have described, I experianced the dreaded stiction. It got worse and worse. I sent the fork back to have new seals / oil put in. Got it back and it felt exactly the same. I just decided to ride it for a while. Last month or so, I sent it back again for a warrenty issue I heard about. Apparently, whatever they used to make the uppers black caused the stiction. Again, I got the fork back and it felt exactly the same. They claimed they detected no stiction. Currently, mine also has developed a creaky crown and a slight top out on rebound.

I tried my friends 2007 TPC Nixon, and it had the same stiction. A friend of mine also has a 2006 Travis 200 Intrinsic, same issue. He claims that keeping something at the bottom of the damper coated with grease limits the issue. It does, but the stiction is still there. He also had a 2006 200 TPC before that and it had just as much stiction as mine.

So, I'm thinking about a Totem, but I really like the Travis, despite the stiction. I've been considering putting a softer spring in the Travis, maybe to overcome the stiction, but if the issue is in the damper, that wouldn't do much good, right?

So, that's my experiance.
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    Their service is fantastic..... Their products are somewhat suspect. I've blown up 4 cartridges on my Travis.....all at whistler. On one occasion, I had a new cartridge installed on Friday and blew up the new one on Sunday. They've since given up on me riding the intrinsic cartridge and given me the TPC which is seemingly holding up. The saving grace is I can drop the bike at Summit Sports and go have lunch while they reinstall a new cartridge, seals and semi bath and I have a "like new" fork again in an hour or two.

EB
    hopefully tpc holds up....great cs but i want dependability
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    in the manitou manual it says you have to leave the fork upside down for half an hour before each time you ride

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    c*nt face pu$$y head***

***I hope this helped with your problem
    Hucks to Fackie

I like to ride my bike.
    Disregard this (#23) post.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

I like to ride my bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by chicohigh5
    in the manitou manual it says you have to leave the fork upside down for half an hour before each time you ride
    I have done that from time to time, but never before everyride. Thank you, I shall try that.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by RideFaster
    Disregard this (#23) post.
    yeah....soon to be deleted

Addicted
    May 2006
    I got one of the first Travis Triple Ti forks as well as a second one in June of '06. The first fork is still being run by a co worker of mine. While I owned both of my forks I found them to be very very plush and extremely buttery. However, lack of maintenence by my co-worker has left the fork feeling like trash. I gave it a recent oil change which has helped with the stiction, I really need to get some new seals and rebuild the entire fork. I would suggest doing the same to bring back the lovely buttery-ness of the Travis.

-Kevin

mtbr member
    I have had two shermans. When I got them, there's only one or two drops of semi bath oil in them out of the box.
    And they feel like ****.
    But when I put 5w-40 motor oil in, they feel really good!
    Ride fast, yet ride smart!

Members who have read this thread: 0