travel cases- Mtbr.com

Thread: travel cases

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

travel cases

now that whistler is at a minimum a yearly trip i need to buy a bike box for on the plane. the last two trips i rented and used this

TRI ALL 3 SPORTS Velo Safe II Bike Case

it works fine but is pretty big and heavy. without going to a soft sided case is there other cases out there that will fit a dh bike? thule? others?

pv

Glad to Be Alive
    you will maybe use it 15 times in the boxres lifetime....man I just use a LARGE beach cruiser box and frame wrapped in a moving blanket inside...works like a champ
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

9 lives
    I like Shiver Me Timbers suggestion which seems like an inexpensive alternative. We purchased Dakine bike bags on sale 2 years ago. They are very durable and very roomy for bikes and gear.

bike rider
    I'm working on 2 boxes that together swallow a DH bike and some gear while keeping everything protected and easily organized (important because security can rifle though a packed bike and improperly repack it). Most importantly they fall under the oversize measurements so you only get charged for normal suitcases. I'm baffled that this doesn't already exist.
    Keep the Country country.

Where's the chair lift?

Idea!

I have used a Trico Sports Iron Case for the last 12 years flying up to Whistler with my DH bikes. They work well, hold the bike in place, allows the TSA to open it with out having to un-tape a box and pull it all out. It also falls under the oversize fee since it is UPS certified but dont go crazy stuffing it with too much stuff and make too heavy. Some airlines if its over 65 or 75lbs they will not allow it and tell you to send it freight. I keep mine 75lbs or lower to be safe. I fly with it on Southwest Airlines for $50 ea way to Seattle and drive to Van and Whistler from there to meet my buddies in Vancouver and head up to the hill. I just used it to fly up to Denver a month ago to hit the Trestle Park.

Here are some links to threads about travel with bikes to whistler etc and boxes.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/downhill-free...ke-647830.html
    http://forums.mtbr.com/california-so...ox-715965.html
    http://forums.mtbr.com/vacations-des...oo-699927.html
    http://forums.mtbr.com/vacations-des...ke-425479.html
    http://forums.mtbr.com/downhill-free...ed-644548.html

Tricosports

Maybe they will help!
    Enjoy Whistler! Love that place!

Oh, and make sure you look into travel insurance as a supplemental coverage to your US coverage since lots of US insurance companies don't cover you outside of the US. And don't tell them you are going mountain biking either since that can void the travel insurance. Read the fine print. Travel Insurance has covered me 2 times in my many trips to Whizzler, but also have a credit card to pay cash since they will require full payment at the ER before leaving if you visit it.
    My MTB Ride: 2011 Intense M9 Other bike: 09 KX450F

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    This year I used a Transport bike case, another buddy used a Serfas, and another used the Thule. My case and the Serfas case were bulging at the bottom and sides because of the 150mm rear end of my DH bike. I tried multiple ways to get it to fit properly without the end being open. Nothing would work. The Thule held my buddies medium M9 without a problem. For reference, all three of us had medium frames 2 M9's and a my TR 450. I promptly bought a Thule when we got home.
    I have used the cardboard box way and I just feel better with my bike in a hardshell case. Especially after this last trip. I saw my bags and bike loaded and I think the bike took bigger hits getting on and off the plane than any of the crashes I had in Whistler. You pay the same amount when you fly anyway. If you can afford it, why not have the reassurance that you bike will be more protected. I happened to find a used Thule and paid $100 for it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by IntenseRdr View Post
    Oh, and make sure you look into travel insurance as a supplemental coverage to your US coverage since lots of US insurance companies don't cover you outside of the US. And don't tell them you are going mountain biking either since that can void the travel insurance. Read the fine print. Travel Insurance has covered me 2 times in my many trips to Whizzler, but also have a credit card to pay cash since they will require full payment at the ER before leaving if you visit it.
    yup, last year, first year there, i already paid for the $25 for insurance after i separate my shoulder. money well spend since i got 100% of my cost reimbursed without question. thanks for the link, think i have look through a few of those threads, i'll go over them again. i could go the cardboard box route, one of my buddies has done this the last two years without issue, but i want a hard case b/c i'm not willing to risk a showing up with a busted bike and possibly missing out on some of the limited time i get to spend in whistler as it is. plus there is a good chance this is becoming a multi trip per year thing anyway. it cost be $90/week to rent the case i have been using from a lbs so even if i buy a new one it would pay for itself fairly quickly. also flying alaska is pretty much my only option out of anchorage, which actually is a good thing b/c as long as the "bag" is under 100 pounds then they will take it. and i "normally" only get charged $50 extra. sometimes i get a dick and get hit with more but that is just the way it goes. have to pay to play...

pv

Where's the chair lift?

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by ak pura vida View Post
    yup, last year, first year there, i already paid for the $25 for insurance after i separate my shoulder. money well spend since i got 100% of my cost reimbursed without question. thanks for the link, think i have look through a few of those threads, i'll go over them again. i could go the cardboard box route, one of my buddies has done this the last two years without issue, but i want a hard case b/c i'm not willing to risk a showing up with a busted bike and possibly missing out on some of the limited time i get to spend in whistler as it is. plus there is a good chance this is becoming a multi trip per year thing anyway. it cost be $90/week to rent the case i have been using from a lbs so even if i buy a new one it would pay for itself fairly quickly. also flying alaska is pretty much my only option out of anchorage, which actually is a good thing b/c as long as the "bag" is under 100 pounds then they will take it. and i "normally" only get charged $50 extra. sometimes i get a dick and get hit with more but that is just the way it goes. have to pay to play...

pv
    Ahh! Right on brutha!! Alaska Air is supposed to be pretty easy to fly with your bikes from a few people I talked to that have used them. Hard case has been the best thing for us. We had a guy that went one year with us to Whizzler and used a cardboard box and it wasn't in very good shape for a second run back home. Some or most airlines will also have fine print saying that if you use a soft sided case or box that they are released from paying for any damages that may occur due to stacking luggage or other boxes on it etc... Gotta luv it when ya get an "A-Hole" to help you. I got a real biatch at American Airlines one year and had to get her supervisor to kick her aside since she did not understand their own bike shipping rules when they were posted on a sign right behind her. She argued telling me we couldn't take our bikes on the plane. Proved her a$$ wrong! Get some good pics and hope it all goes well! We will be getting a group together for next summers Whistler Trip!

(Yep, you gotta pay to play is right. LOL)

Where's the chair lift?

Idea!

Quote Originally Posted by seppe71 View Post
    This year I used a Transport bike case, another buddy used a Serfas, and another used the Thule. My case and the Serfas case were bulging at the bottom and sides because of the 150mm rear end of my DH bike. I tried multiple ways to get it to fit properly without the end being open. Nothing would work. The Thule held my buddies medium M9 without a problem. For reference, all three of us had medium frames 2 M9's and a my TR 450. I promptly bought a Thule when we got home.
    I have used the cardboard box way and I just feel better with my bike in a hardshell case. Especially after this last trip. I saw my bags and bike loaded and I think the bike took bigger hits getting on and off the plane than any of the crashes I had in Whistler. You pay the same amount when you fly anyway. If you can afford it, why not have the reassurance that you bike will be more protected. I happened to find a used Thule and paid $100 for it.
    Hmm.. I used the Iron Case with a Med M9 150mm rear end as well and my box closed up well enough to be comfortable to haul it up to Denver with no prob. i just made sure a lay the wheels in a certain way that allowed the box to close a bit better. Usually the rear wheel on top of the front triangle of the frame.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    actually we already went on our trip for this year. obviously had an absolute killer time. would love to find a used one but i seriously doubt i'll find one local. i'll have to do some looking over the winter. although, i do need to go to seattle for a day or two in the next couple of weeks, seriously considering spending the weekend also and driving up to whistler. i'd have to ride by myself more than likely but i imagine i would survive... oh and here is a vid from our trip sept 4-8.

Whistler Trip 2011 - YouTube